Author Topic: new scam  (Read 813 times)

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
new scam
« on: May 23, 2013, 05:19:16 AM »
    Just read in the local paper about a new scam. Out of no where your computer is locked up. Then it tells you a federal law has been violated and you are being fined $300. Go to a local store and get a pay gram or what ever they are and enter the numbers on it on your computer and it will be unlocked. Failure to pay the fine and the Feds will show up and arrest you. Not sure how new this is because i had it happen to me 3 or 4 months ago. So did 2 other people i know. Guess it has never been reported before. My son in law came over and cleaned everything off the hard drive. That unlocked the computer but the darn thing still does some strange things.  Hope no one fall for this scam.

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: new scam
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 02:18:26 PM »
Bob if you would start using a reputable AV this wouldn't happen. ;)   I assure you it's a little money well spent.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: new scam
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 02:36:18 PM »
What he said, a good AV that's updated frequently and a scan run daily will prevent infection to begin with, ransomware isn't a new scam, been around for a while in different forms, all trying to get you to spend money, I've removed them from many client PCs in the last 10yrs or so, never had one on any of mine tho....knock wood!!

Tim

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGNI_enUS492US492&q=ransomware
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain