Author Topic: Surplus Powder URL's....  (Read 1729 times)

Offline JPH45

• Trade Count: (0)
Surplus Powder URL's....
« on: February 21, 2004, 02:14:48 PM »
DJ posted a couple of addresses for surplus powder sales, can't find 'em, any help??? Thanks in advance, JP
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline RiverHawk

Surplus Powder URL's....
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2004, 02:56:59 PM »
Are these the ones that you wanted for surplus powder?

www.patsreloading.com.
www.gibrass.com
I no longer wish to be a member, to be removed from your data base.

Offline RiverHawk

Surplus Powder URL's....
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2004, 03:01:28 PM »
Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject:    

-----Maybe this is Better---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm a surplus powder freak. Started reloading back in the days when gun stores sold H-4831 and H-4895 in paper bags from 150 pound canisters in the back. The two outfits I use these days are www.gibrass.com and www.patsreloading.com. Double up with a buddy annd buy 6 jugs at a time. Delivered cost these days runs $7-$9 a pound and that's less than half of gunstore price per pound.

The savings is a sleeper, too. When you buy powder in 8 pound jugs, the price will be much higher before you finish the jug. I'm still shooting powders I bought for $2 a pound.

Offline JPH45

Surplus Powder URL's....
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2004, 11:12:00 AM »
RiverHawk, I hope I didn't goof and got the author of this post confused. If so, please accept my apologies. Thank you for the repost, JP

Offline RiverHawk

Surplus Powder URL's....
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2004, 12:01:53 PM »
You were right JPH45, it was a leftoverdj post, I didn't mean to leave his  handle off of the post.
 Sorry about that DJ
I no longer wish to be a member, to be removed from your data base.

Offline JPH45

Surplus Powder URL's....
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2004, 01:46:36 PM »
Well, let's see if we can get DJ's attention....I am using a lot of Blue Dot for plinking loads in my 44 Mag. There is a surplus out there that uses HS7 data, but I am definately not using 90% volume loads of it, so I wonder if the surplus would be a good substitute. I also notice that there is a surplus version of AA#2, I have never used that powder but it seems to get a lot of use in light and target pistol loads. There is also a surplus 4895, think that might work well in the 45-70???? Thought????

Offline Leftoverdj

Surplus Powder URL's....
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2004, 03:21:21 PM »
JPH, easy one first. The AA-2 stuff seems to work fine anywhere you would use Bullseye or WW -231.

I have some of the stuff that uses HS-7 data, but have not gotten to working with it. Have been using the AA-7 clone instead. I'm comfortable using either with less than 90% case loads with hot primers, heavy crimps and lead bullets. I'll have to use more than I have used before I'll try jacketed bullets in less than 90% loads. (My belief is that the reported blowups are due to slight hangfires that lodge jacketed bullets solidly in the rifling before the main charge ignites. Lead bullets do not provide nearly the resistance of jacketed.)

Pat's has some clone AA-5 that works very well for me in the range between Unique and Blue Dot, but Jeff did not have that the last time I looked.

The H-4895 looks overpriced to me and I prefer faster powders in the .45-70. Some folks are using WC 680 and I may try that eventually, but I have about eight pounds of H-322 to use first and another seven pounds or so of something very close to H-322. Be a while before I get through that lot. There's some H-335 and BL-C(2) around at much better prices than the H-4895 that should work well in the .45-70.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline JPH45

Surplus Powder URL's....
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2004, 04:48:11 PM »
Thanks DJ, and thanks as well for the URL's. I intend to buy some surplus with my tax return and am just trying to figure out my best options.  Your help, as always, is appreciated.

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
Surplus Powder URL's....
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2004, 10:57:28 AM »
JPH45... did you see my post to you and 308 in the misc area about the Surplus powder??

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=28209

later,
Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...