Author Topic: 7.7 Jap  (Read 592 times)

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
7.7 Jap
« on: June 18, 2013, 12:05:42 AM »
I'm looking to start reloading this round for my Arisaka, does anyone have experience with it? I'll be using H4895 powder and some sort of 150 gr bullet, probably Hornady. Any input is appreciated.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 7.7 Jap
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 02:11:00 AM »
I load some but it was to long ago to remember with out looking back. I think I use a heavier bullet in an effort to match org. load and work with sights. I think it was the same bullet as for 303 BRTT. You can find load data in some reloading manuals.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 08:52:24 PM »
I've loaded for them a lot but it was also a long time ago.  It's a strong action and you can load it up with .308 load data without a problem.

I've also found that shortened '06 cases make the best brass.  I don't ream or neck turn them because the thicker neck seems to make the sloppy military chambers shoot straighter...

Tony

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 02:11:40 AM »
Good to know geezer, thanks. I have a box of empties from Graf & sons so I'm OK on brass for now but when I need to get more I'll look for -06 brass. Heck, it's probably easier to come by anyway.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 01:43:10 AM »
cheaper than dirt has them .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 11:08:13 AM »
For years only Noma made ammo for this caliber and if you could find it, it was (censored word) expensive.  Back then the only load data was seriously reduced and those of use that shot Arisaka rifles a lot had to do a lot on our own.

I gave away 3 boxes of new Norma brass (that I bought on close out) with the one Arisaka I sold a year or so back because I'd rather make my loads in resized military '06 cases.  I'd love to find a few hundred matched head stamp mil surplus 06 cases from the 60's or later to make a big batch of Arisaka rounds from.  I had a friend that went as far as making a jig to stamp 7.7 on these...

I still have 2 of these rifles but I don't shoot either of them enough...

Tony