Author Topic: Single Six  (Read 3153 times)

Offline nodlenor

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Single Six
« on: May 02, 2013, 03:17:40 AM »
How many Ruger Single Six owners are out there? I have an old one that hasn't been converted. I only have a 22 mag. cyl. for it. It has been badly neglected and a lot of blueing is gone but it is still solid, tight and works fine. I'm thinking about getting one for 22 L.R. Are the new ones still as good as the old ones or should I try to find another older one?
Self government without self discipline will not work; Paul Harvey

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Re: Single Six
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 03:43:29 AM »
I still have the one I bought in the early 70's.  Really a great revolver! 

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Cleburne

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 05:32:11 PM »
I have an old unconverted (kinda brings to mind an unreconstructed Confederate, like myself) three screw model. It has the long rifle cylinder only. In the fifteen or so years I've had it, I've never benched it for accuracy nor used it to hunt with, but it's been a great informal plinker. Much fun. I do prefer the old Colt-style action over the New Model transfer bar style.

AtlLaw, you need to take that pretty revolver and its holster out of the safe. Looks like they're both brand new and haven't taken any walks in the woods yet.  :)

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 05:41:22 PM »
Add two for me.
One is a Single Six Bisley model 6.5" (does that count?)
The second is a Convertable 9.5" with only the 22 Mag cylinder.  At some point I will send it back to Ruger to get the 22LR cylinder. 
So if my Math is correct. 
We are at a running total of 5 so far.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 06:08:28 PM »
I have only one. I seem to recall my life time total of them is two but then I might be forgetting one or more. I recall well I got one of the first stainless convertible models to hit this area. Kinda wish I'd kept it but for some long forgotten reason it's gone. I shot it well.

My current one is a convertible blue with 9.5" barrel. Kenny at Mag-na-port did a super trigger job on it, numbered the cylinders and installed a patridge front sight on it. He also dressed it up some as he tends to do jeweling the hammer and trigger and doing some imitation gold plating using titanium I believe he said.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 12:09:58 AM »
The one I have now I guess I've had for 15 or so years. It started life as a 5 1/2 inch stainless. I had a gunsmith friend shorten it to 4 5/8. Then a few years ago I put a birdshead grip frame on it. If I had a dollar for every 22 LR that's been thru this one I could buy a pile of new toys. Also if I remember correctly, this is my 3 rd Single Six. I owned a blue 6 1/2 and 9 1/2 before this one.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 12:50:09 AM »
ive had probably a dozen of them through the years. Ive got two right now, well actually one. Ive got a 32 mag 4 5/8s gun that i love and my 22 single six has kind of been adopted by my dad. It will come home someday but i hope he gets another good 10 years out of it.
blue lives matter

Offline rugerman

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 01:44:49 PM »
Mine is a 6.5 inch convertable from 1976, rarely use the 22mag cylinder.

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 02:53:15 PM »
Mine is a older unconverted fixed sighted one. If I were you I'd try here http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/index.php?sid=614f0ddb3f4fe16386202edbe1c2461ato  and try and find a LR cylinder to go with that old of yours?\
Steve
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 04:30:55 PM »
rarely use the 22mag cylinder.

I'm just the opposite.  I only use the LR cylinder when I'm shooting targets in the basement.  When I'm in the field I use the mag cylinder.
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 04:58:02 PM »
1987, 6.5" convertible w/ adjustable sights.  I have both cylinders but second cylinder does not appear in the photo.

Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Stape

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 03:21:40 PM »
I have two, one was my dads, have the box, manual and receipt for 72.00 when he bout it new in the early 70's.  Has both cylinders.  First pistol I ever bought was a 3 screw single six because of the fun times I had with my dads growing up, now he's gone and I have his as well as mine.  I got mine on auction arms.com, went there looking for a single six and saw this nice one on the going, going, gone listings, picked it up for 180.00!  It's in 22wmr but I don't want to send it in to ruger to be fitted, timed with a .22lr cylinder as they will convert it, no If's ands or buts.  I know they give you the parts back and I've heard it's not hard to switch it back, but just haven't done it.

Offline RevJim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 05:12:27 AM »
 I have the one convertible I bought my dad in 1973. I had just got out of the Army and was attending a Jr College in a town about 40miles away. I found a small pawn shop/gun store and I put the Single six and a S&W Mod 28 6" on LayAway. My dad always used the 22 LR cylinder. When he died in 2001, I brought it and his Marlin 783 22 mag home, and my local smith went through it, cleaned, reblued,etc. I use the 22 mag cylinder to buddy with the Marlin. I like the 22 mag better for coyotes and prairie dogs, much more wind resistant. I've tried Taurus revolvers, but nothing has beat the old Single Six for accuracy or dependability. Hard to imagine being w/o one.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 07:31:22 AM »
I got my first one a few years ago, an unconverted OM 22LR x 5.5" with the optional patridge front sight. Suddenly I could hit (or come close) again over the ramped Colt's New Frontier 22LR I'd had for years. Then a ('72ish?) NM S-Sgl Six Conv. in like new came along and I decided to get it and compare, then decided the earlier one could go. The 'new' one is a shooter in either version, once I got a front sight that was tall enough (no wonder it wasnt shot much, it was about 6" high at 25yd. with 22LR HV). It really likes the Win. Dynapoint 45gr. 22M's, hammers 'em in with noticeable authority over the 22LR. The T-Bar action isnt that far off from the nice trigger that was on the early one, and without it around to compare I do not notice. the 6.5" isnt that different from the 5.5", both need a 'long' holster; I'd probably prefer a 4 5/8", though a 3 3/4" birdshead in blued would be my lust fun-gun in RF.
Long-winded way to say, was 2, now 1 for me.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 11:15:13 AM »
I have three now!!  LOVE them!

Actually one is a single NINE.  ::) ::)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline DDZ

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 01:48:35 PM »
My single six 5.5" with a 22 mag cyl. was the first hand gun i owned, and its bout 40 years old now. I had saved my money earned from baling hay, and my Dad signed for it. I never left the house without it, and wish I had a nickel for every round thats been put through it. It still shoots as good as the day I got it, and never replaced a part on it. The bluing on the barrel is a bit worn from sliding in and out of a holster so many times, but that just gives it character. Was trying to remember what I paid for it. I know it was at least $100 but not over $150.     
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2013, 08:05:57 AM »
What I still have left is the '69 OM SS 5 1/2" 22MAG only, but I've had other OM SS's.   Another OM SS I probably should have kept was a Buntline.   Still have the '71 Super Bearcat as well that serves for 22LR.    Had a '74 Colt New Frontier Buntline convertable I bought new as well... liked the Ruger's better.  All of these had/have custom grips, the current still have custom cross draw holsters.

Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 11:19:20 AM »
I do very much like my 22Mag Scout!!

Better then a single six... I cannot say that, but I like it just as much and I would have to say it is more accurate. Even tho the sites are not as good!

My new Single nine is a real good shooter, my 5.5'' three screw is acceptable and does what I ask of it. But its not super accurate.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2013, 11:08:10 AM »
None right now. My last one was traded probably 18 years ago for a more size appropriate bearcat for my son....... I will admit to having the itch for one of the new 10 shots.........................
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline Hit or Miss

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2013, 03:39:41 PM »
I hunted for a used one for a very long time around here, you just don't see them being sold used.  I finally heard of one that just happened to be two blocks down the street from my house for sale.  Called him up and went to take a look, it was stored in a case and had some rust spots on it but was perfect in the mechanical area.  Both cylinders too!  I asked "how much", "$50?" was the answer, I about ripped my pocket off getting my wallet out!  ;D   It's an older one and came with the box too.  I never have fired a mag out of it at this point.  Guess I need to rectify that one of these days!
Which lie got to you so that you refuse Him???

Offline bluecow

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2013, 11:46:13 PM »
plus 1 DDZ except it 5 yrs newer and 1/2 inch longer.  Oh and mom signed. 
Everything before BUT is B.S.

Offline Ken ONeill

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2014, 01:47:33 AM »
I've had 8 over the last 51 years, and still own 4 of them. I think that the Single Six has always been one of the very best gun values available to us.

I've had this rare 9 1/2" "Star" model since 1973. The "Star" models were furnished with a .22 LR cylinder only. This one was campaigned hard in IHMSA .22 matches for years, and used to win many matches and a couple of state championships. I hunted squirrels and taught my wife how to shoot with it.
Its been shot so much, I wore out 2 Ruger rear sights, clicking back & forth for the various distances. Its now wearing a Bowen Target rear, and is on its third trigger job/rebuild. A few years ago, I looked at the old warrior with its nicks and dings, and had Gordon Logan dress it up by polishing and bead blasting it, and had Ruger fit an auxiliary .22 Mag. cylinder. Then I fitted a set of Lett buffalo horn grips. It still shoots about as well as it ever did, and won't be for sale in my lifetime:

Gordon Logan also dressed up this 5 1/2" convertible, and crafted a custom scope base. This one usually wears the .22 Magnum cylinder:

Several years ago, Ruger made a special limited run (for TALO or Lipseys, I forget which) of 4 5/8" stainless convertibles. I bought 2, thinking I would keep 1, sell the other. They were equally "Best", so both continue to stay here. One is used as a .22 LR, the other as a Magnum. One day I may sell 1 of them, but I'm in no rush: