Author Topic: .25-06 Ultra Rifle  (Read 984 times)

Offline Larry in SD

• Trade Count: (1)
.25-06 Ultra Rifle
« on: February 02, 2014, 05:15:56 AM »
A week ago I picked up my used H&R Ultra Rifle in .25-06. Man talk about a mess. The outside of the barrel was brown, full of some sort of varnished oil and rust. I worked over an hour with 0000 Steel Wool and Break Free CLP scrubbing. Much to my amazement it actually cleaned up really good, however the bluing is a little thin in spots but still blue.

The next day I started in on the bore. The original owner had only shot Barnes TSX Bullets through it to my knowledge (about 80 rounds) and obviously never cleaned it. I have never seen a barrel with that much copper in it. According to the instructions on the Barnes CR-10 you are to push a patch soaked in CR-10 through the bore, let it sit for a minute. Then take a patch soaked in CR-10 and run it end to end through the bore 10 strokes. After this 10 strokes with a nylon bore brush and repeat these steps as needed. Well I could not pull the patch with CR-10 back through the bore there was so much copper the CR-10 was grabbing onto.

I worked on it with Barnes CR-10 Copper Remover for over an hour and there was still copper in it. I then ran 2 quarts of boiling water through the bore and started in again with the Barnes CR-10. That did the trick and it cleaned up really nicely. I again then ran another 2 quarts of boiling water through the bore followed by a few patches of Break Free CLP.

Yesterday I started in on the bore polishing procedure. I had read about a procedure on the net (don't remember where I read it) that consisted of Turtle Wax Chrome Polish & Rust Remover and a Bore Snake. The instructions were to put the bore snake in the barrel until the thick part is at the chamber then inject 1 teaspoon of the Turtle Wax Chrome Polish & Rust Remover. Then put the bore snake through the bore 10 times. The instructions were to repeat this 6 times. Then after the 60 passes pull the bore snake through the bore 10 more times without adding any more Turtle Wax Chrome Polish & Rust Remover.

Man I am hear to tell you that that bore is super smooth now. The rifling is super distinct yet. All in all I was impressed with the outcome. The real test will be when I get to shooting it.

I also had the crown lapped. The crown was uneven and there was actually a burr around the entire circumference of the crown that you could catch you finger nail on. My cousin's husband has a set of Brownells crowning tools but did not have a .25 caliber pilot so we just used the brass ball end lapping tool with lapping compound. It took a long time but the end result turned out great.

All in all I can hardly wait to get to shooting this new to me .25-06 Ultra Rifle. I am currently waiting for the arrival of my synthetic buttstock and forend to get here. Still have not totally decided what I am going to put on it for a scope but have to save up a bit for one anyway. In the meantime I am sending the receiver in to H&R to have a muzzleloader barrel fitted to my receiver.

Anyway that is my update progress on this Ultra Rifle. I can hardly wait to get to shooting it.

Larry

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
Re: .25-06 Ultra Rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 05:28:42 AM »
If you can find them try the Federal 117gr factory loads they shoot really well in both of my 25-06 Handi's
Good Luck
George
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline Larry in SD

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 06:49:36 AM »
Thanks for the tip. I have actually had quite good accuracy with Federal Rifle Ammo over the years. However it has been years since I have shot a factory round other than rimfire of course.

I have 100 new R-P Brass and CCI-200 Primers on hand, just need to pick up some dies, bullets and powder next time I get to Fargo.

Thinking of trying either 115gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips or 115gr. Berger Match Grade Classic Hunting Bullets. 

Larry

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 07:14:31 AM »
Well grasshopper, I remember you starting here not long ago. I believe after this it's obvious you definitely have a "Problem" ;D
I've been considering a 25-06 lately and sure can't figure out why ::)
Hope it shoots good for you, let us know ;)

PICTURE?

Offline Singlebarrel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 08:00:08 AM »
Just  at tip here next time you get a badly copper fouled bore.  Try some Janitorial strength Ammonia (about 10%).  Works really well and is cheap to boot.  Just be sure to use something other than brass fittings on your cleaning rod.  I buy it by the gallon at Ace Hardware.  You can get a gallon for about the price of a few ounces of commercial bore cleaner.

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 10:35:58 AM »
i had good luck with 100gr SMK , good groups and dropped hogs in their tracks. can't remember for the life of me what powder i used but might be something you may want to look into.
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 01:03:15 PM »
Coulda saved yourself a lot of scrubbing with a can of Wipeout. I have never seen anything take out copper faster with less work. And it will not ever hurt your bore, You can leave it in for a day or two and it wipes right out, Bright blue if there is copper in there.

Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 01:20:58 PM »
Coulda saved yourself a lot of scrubbing with a can of Wipeout. I have never seen anything take out copper faster with less work. And it will not ever hurt your bore, You can leave it in for a day or two and it wipes right out, Bright blue if there is copper in there.

+1, it and the other foaming cleaners work great, and I don't have to, it does all the real work!!!

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Larry in SD

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 02:06:57 PM »
Thanks guys. I have never tried Wipeout Foaming Bore Cleaner. I have tried Outters Foaming Bore Cleaner though and the results have been mixed. One time it'll work great the next time seems like it didn't do anything.

I am going to Fargo tomorrow so will look for some Wipeout Foaming Bore Cleaner at Scheels.

Larry

Offline Larry in SD

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 06:20:36 PM »
I am getting closer to being able to shoot my new to me .25-06 H&R Ultra Rifle.

I need to have my gunsmith bed the forend yet and save up for a Scope. I am thinking it is going to get a Weaver Series 40/44 4x12x44mm AO Rifle Scope with Weaver's Ballistic X Reticle.

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 03:08:53 AM »
Looks like a good set up ;)  Glad I don't "need" a 25-06. Hope to hear what you think of the Weaver if you get it. I've been looking at them. For now you can just use those big PEEP sights that are on it ;D  Looks to be worth the work, hope she shoots good.

Offline Larry in SD

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 03:16:43 AM »
Thanks

I have never had a .25-06 before. The more I research the cartridge and it's capabilities the more I wonder why I have never tried a .25-06 before. For the most part I hunt Whitetail Deer and Coyotes. For that I am thinking the .25-06 will be the cats meow for me.

Larry

Offline TLARbb

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 04:12:40 AM »
The rifle is coming right along.  I think you'll like the .25-06.  I have two of them now and have had 2 others over the years that friends talked me into selling.  The first one happened to be the first centerfire rifle I owned and was a super shooter.  The fellow that I let have it (in exchange for way to little cash) loves it.  Every time I see him he has to tell me how great it is. 

Anyway, the .25-06 is as fine a deer killer as is made.  The 100 grain load is very mild to the shoulder, but is like a lightning bolt to a deer.

EJ

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 05:52:09 AM »
I shoot hand loads only in my 25-06.  I use Retumbo powder and Nosler 110gr bullets.  Can't remember the powder charge off the top of my head, I'm on vacation so I can't look it up, but it is in the Nosler manual.  The 25-06 makes a good long range gun, and can easily reach out to 700 yards.  At that range it still has enough energy and velocity left to be effective on Wolf and Coyote.  If I lived in the lower 48 I would not hesitate to shoot Whitetail with it at that range.  Alaskan Wolves have a body the size of a Whitetail, and that is what I use my 25-06 on. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Larry in SD

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 08:02:59 AM »
Thanks guys. Unfortunately I could not find anyplace that has Nosler Bullets in stock. I ended up ordering some 115gr. Berger Match Grade VLD Hunting Bullets. If I can get them to shoot they should make a Coyote think twice about venturing into range.

Larry

Offline abolt-fan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2014, 10:29:49 AM »
Larry, you're going to enjoy the 25-06.  My hunting partner in Vermont and I both have ultras in this caliber.

Both have been accurate with factory Remington 100 gr. loads.  I also handload for both of us.  I'm using Remington brass, Win. primers, RL 19 powder and Hornady 117 gr. BTSP bullets.  I've taken several deer in Mississippi with this load and have been very happy with the results. 

Offline Larry in SD

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2014, 12:24:34 PM »
Thanks for the reply. The anticipation is killing me waiting for everything to come together so I can shoot my .25-06. I have 3 boxes of Remington 120gr. PSP Core Lokt Factory Ammo on hand, 100 new RP Brass and 200 115gr. Berger Match VLD Classic Hunting Bullets. I still need to pick up some powder. My scope should be here next week, so then I will just be waiting on my gunsmith.

Larry