Author Topic: A Handi in 327 Federal?  (Read 2250 times)

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
Re: A Handi in 327 Federal?
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2014, 08:21:08 AM »
I like threads like this one. Yea people voice their opinion both ways, But really that's the point isn't it? Ask a question......Get multiple answers.......Make your own decision based on what you've read. That is what I do anyway.

I still fish with cane poles some.  Gonna run a trotline out of my kayak this summer.

Bad part of this game is the amount of info and product choices is massive, 20 different ones I'd like too have right now, Dreams are nice.

I a going to have a .327 made. Because.

I am already set up to reload for it.
I have two pistols chambered for it, And two chambered for H&R mag which will shoot in it.
I like the way it performs so far Not sure what it will do out of a rifle thou.
I like versatility, Being able to shoot .32 ACP, .32S&W, .32S&W long, .32 H&R mag and .327 Fedral is pretty handi. ;)
And the number 1 reason for me......I want one. 8)

I can find .32-20 and .327 fed on the shelf around here, To bad you guys can't.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2014, 08:27:02 AM »
It may be on the shelves, but for about the cost of a couple of boxes you can get set up to reload (I know you are already there, others arent) and be far ahead very soon.
Too bad we just preach to the choir here about what we want and 'they' arent paying attention. Maybe we need to get 'somebodies' e-mail at H&R to send our wishes to?

"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Badnews Bob

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2014, 08:39:14 AM »
Yep. All the stuff on the shelf right now is high end personal defense stuff. I cast my own also. I plan on using heavy lead at slower speed out of the rifle. One box of those little screaming Hollow points is all I'll need for my 3" SP101.

Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline ulav8r

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2014, 09:03:45 AM »
Choosing 32-20 over 327 is easy for me.  At about 13-14 YO I found a lever action rifle in Dad's closet.  There were two cartridges with it, a 32 ACP and a 32 Special.  He told me to leave it alone, it belonged to my uncle (Mother's BIL that lived in CA.)  My aunt and uncle lived visited us each summer, so they next time they came back I asked Uncle Virgil if I could use his rifle and he said yes.  Soon thereafter I went to one of the two pool halls in town.  That one also had a rack of guns and shelves of ammunition up front.  I had read the cartridge name off the barrel, .32 WCF.  When the guy pulled down a box marked 32/20.  He explained that they were the same as 32 WCF.  At a cost of about 25 cents each, I think I bought 7 rounds that first time.  There were 115 grain lead swc's.  I later bought 3 or 4 rounds of Remington soft points to deer hunt with.  I hunted two seasons with that rifle but not get a shot.  The summer I was 16, my uncle asked for his gun back, my cousin had decided he wanted his dad's rifle.
It was a Winchester Model 92 with about a 20 inch barrel that was 1/2 octagon, 1/2 round.  The forearm had a schnobble with an ebony insert on the tip, the magazine was blind and held 3 rounds.  I have seen a picture of one other 92 that had the same configuration.  Though I shot it very little, I have wanted one ever since.
When my uncle took the rifle back, I gave him the ammo that I had for it.  He then asked about me using it and I told him I had hunted with it.  That fall I was a senior in HS but did not have a gun to deer hunt with.  Just a week or two before graduation I got a call from someone at the bus station in town, there was a package there for me.  We went to town the next day and I walked about 3 blocks from the middle of town to the bus station.  I had a package from my uncle and aunt.  It contained a Mossberg 800 in .308W.  The stock had very fancy grain in the buttstock and looked pretty good to a pore country boy.  The cost of ammo for it got me started reloading.

Offline Badnews Bob

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2014, 09:49:25 AM »
I love to hear stories like that.  Thanks for sharing. :)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Jeff H

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2014, 10:50:44 AM »
.......Too bad we just preach to the choir here about what we want and 'they' arent paying attention. Maybe we need to get 'somebodies' e-mail at H&R to send our wishes to?.....

Don't give up just yet! 

It only took half a century of a small minority whining and crying for medium-framed Ruger single action in .44 Special but we got it.

I say "we" but I was really only in on about the last thirty years of the whinin' and cryin' myself.  I like to believe I helped though.

Many still question why someone needs such a thing when you can load the .44 mag down but it's not all about absolute pragmatism and we should never feel compelled to rationalize our gun dreams with necessity or so-called practicality.  If it makes sense or is truly practical, all the better, but no need to spoil the fun by imposing that standard on everything we do.   

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2014, 01:16:46 PM »
My story was a little less bucolic than that one. My grandfather and father were bootleggers during the 1920's, grandpa liked the 32/20 because prior to the 357, a standard police 38 special load would not go through the door of a model T Ford, the Hi-speed "rifle" loading for a 32/20 out of a 5" Colt Police Positive Special would with no problem. I think there may have been a couple of people that did not reach retirement due to that fact. Later on as a toddler I have vague memories of a ruckus at home. Dad and his 2 brothers both spent 43 through 45 in the south pacific and when they came home they were a bit different, all were alcoholics also. Uncle Bill became a steel worker, Dad returned to the farm, and Uncle George collected money for men who ran houses of ill repute and loan sharking in St Louis. George was a boxer in the navy (all 3 were navy men) and had killed a man in the ring, had a dishonorable discharge over it I think. Anyway, he was hiding out at the farm for awhile and was drunk, and wanted to fight dad. He kept threatening grandpa with a knife to get dad to fight him. Dad came right into the house, reached up into the cabinet for his Colt, and walked out into the yard. Grandpa was between them and George told dad- "you don't have the guts to shoot" to which Dad just raise the gun and fired. He put one through Georges bicep but missed the bone, and George dropped the knife and went down. Mom wrapped the arm in a dish towel and they got him on a horse and Dad rode him into town to the doc's office. The wound was not bad and Dad put him on the train back to St Louis. We did not see him again for about 10 years. I used to climb up on the cabinets from time to time when no one was around and look at that gun, the rearing horse with the arrow in his mouth.
     Dad was a hell of a good shot, but he never liked guns, and when I really fell in love with them he was not happy. It was not until he after died in '83 that I found out many things. My older brother still has that Colt, and if there was any caliber or model that stands out in memory, that is it.
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2014, 01:49:49 PM »
 :o :P ;D
Good one TS!
Must of been a lot of that goin' on around the country back then, we've got some similar family history.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline ulav8r

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2014, 06:22:42 PM »
One other feature of Uncle Virgil's rifle was that it had a rifle style butt plate, despite it's short barrel.  That helped bias me to the style of the stocks on the BC, 45 carbine and the 38-55 Target models.