Author Topic: Burris or Nikon?  (Read 695 times)

Offline Brasso

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Burris or Nikon?
« on: March 10, 2004, 04:59:04 PM »
First of all....Greetings to everyone.     This seems to be a very informative forum.

I have a Rem 700 Classic in 8mm Mauser.   This is a long action.    I have decided that I want to use a 1.5-6x40 scope.      I've narrowed the choices down to the Burris EuroDiamond with the illuminated reticle or the Nikon Monarch Gold.      I was set on the Burris until I read some of the horror stories on this board so I began looking hard at the Nikon.    Then I read that it may be a little on the short side for a long action rifle.      So I'm back to the Burris again.       The Burris seems to have better optics.  

Can anyone confirm whether the newer EuroDiamonds have the same QC issues as some of the others and what is your reccomendation?  

Thanks.

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
Burris or Nikon?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2004, 12:51:17 AM »
Brasso,

I have not had the opportunity to look thru the new EuroDiamonds, since they are not available yet, but I really like the Nikon Monarch Golds.  When comparing total lenght of both scopes there in not much of difference.  The Nikon Gold 2.5-10x50 is 13", where the EuroDiamond  is 3-10x40 is 13.2".  So you are just looking at a quarter of an inch.  To me not noticeable.  I personally would go with the Gold, but if you really want the Illuminated reticle than I would go with the Burris.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline Zachary

Burris or Nikon?
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2004, 03:20:15 PM »
I don't think that the Burris has better optics.  I own both and can tell you that the Nikon has better optics.

As for illuminated reticles, I have a Nikon Monarch 3.5x-10x-50mm IL and I love it - probably more than the Leupold Illuminated Reticles.

Anyhow, I know that you want a 1.5x-6x power range, and I don't think that Nikon offers ILs in that range.  You may want to take a look at the New Leupold VX-IIIs and see if they have an IL in that power range.

Still, the Nikon Gold is one super great scope!

Zachary