Author Topic: Ilion plant moving to Huntsville, AL!  (Read 1805 times)

Offline Warthog

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger.  Right up until it kills you.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
Re: Ilion plant moving to Huntsville, AL!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 02:43:31 AM »
YEP, gov-bently been talk'n bout this lately. would be good for tha folks up in tha north end of bama.

down south end, we ain't much hurt'n......... ;)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 02:44:31 AM »
What I have read indicated that Remington is going to build a new plant in Alabama and, for the time being, the Ilion, NY plant is safe.  I guess the future of Remington's NY operations are in the hands (mouth actually) of NY Governor Comatose.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 04:08:57 AM »

My understanding was the same as BB.  They are expanding capacity and are not moving anything.  But I'd be surprised if this isn't the first step into leaving NY.  If the industry stays strong on sales I won't be surprised if all the gun related manufacturers leave the north east.  Voters sure haven't shown they want them around.   

Offline Warthog

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 09:22:51 AM »
While this is of course hearsay, according to some people I know involved with the Huntsville project, the ultimate goal is to close Ilion and move the entire operation south.
Whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger.  Right up until it kills you.

Offline fast*eddie

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 11:26:38 AM »
I believe the Illion plant is down sizing and part of it has to do with Prince Andy and his Un-Safe act .
One of our largest ammo suppliers in the Rochester area opened another store just across the Pennsylvania Border due to Prince Andy's actions .
Semper Fi !

Offline MadMathemagician

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 01:42:34 PM »
Woohoo !!!!    Now I can pester them daily and in person about producing the 45 long colt carbine and barrel that they should have never discontinued. 
Survivor .410/.45
Survivor .308
Topper 20 gauge
Pardner 12 gauge

Offline cjrjck

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 09:30:40 PM »
They sure picked a nice area to open a business. They call it the PhD capital of the East because of all the rocket scientists at Redstone Arsenal. I lived there for many years. If you like large mouth and small mouth bass fishing or hiking the foot hills of the Appalachians, you could not find a better place. You can also drive over to Fort Payne and see if any of the guys from the group "Alabama" are still picking and singing. I also lived in Lower Alabama near Mobile. That area, especially Baldwin county, is incredible. The beaches at Gulf Shores and Orange Beach are sandy white with clear blue/green water.  I was fortunate enough to be a guest a few times of a 40,000 acre lease an hour and a half north near Brewton. 40,000 arcres, think about that! Two locations in Alabama and they are different as night and day. About the only thing they have in common is that the people there live for football and either love Alabama and hate Auburn or love Auburn and hate Alabama.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 06:14:45 AM »
Two locations in Alabama and they are different as night and day. About the only thing they have in common is that the people there live for football and either love Alabama and hate Auburn or love Auburn and hate Alabama.

ya know, theres others folks here in bama that don't giva hoot bout that kinda pigskin.... but when ya talk'n bout
pork-chops, backstraps and smokin hams on tha BGE an that skin then goes too tha gut pile....
mitey fine eat'n yeah.... my fav part is perpair'n tha feast wile sippen my sunday-go-ta-meet'n squezzins  8)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 07:30:51 AM »
I believe the Illion plant is down sizing and part of it has to do with Prince Andy and his Un-Safe act .
One of our largest ammo suppliers in the Rochester area opened another store just across the Pennsylvania Border due to Prince Andy's actions .
Clearly Cuomo will be more than happy to drive industry and especally gun companies out of NY state.  Just think of how many firearms the big green machine ships out of NY state and what percentage of those sales was this moron of a Governer was getting to promote his silly liberal policies that will have to be made up in more taxes from your wallet.  At some point driving other companies across state lines like the Ammo companies and having to go deeper in your pocket to make up the short commings only to drive more out.  Look at Detroit,  that failed city run by left wing liberals that looks like a war zone.  It is amazing that a city could go from the industrial model of a city  to the dismal failure it is today.  And Chiacigo is up next, followed by the State of NY as companies will move out and across rivers into other states to look at NYC and not pay the double taxes of living in NJ, Con, PA, or Del and have to give up large percentages of their income to a failing city and state.   

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 08:21:32 AM »
http://remington.com/pages/news-and-resources/press-releases/2014/corporate/remingtonoutdoorcompanyannouncesexpansiontoalabama.aspx

Remington Outdoor Company Announces Expansion to Alabama

HUNTSVILLE AND MONTGOMERY, AL — Governor Robert Bentley on Monday announced Alabama has recruited the country’s oldest firearms manufacturer to Alabama.

Remington Outdoor Company (ROC) will expand to the old Chrysler building in Huntsville, and create more than 2,000 new jobs within the next ten years. Governor Bentley joined Remington Chairman and CEO George Kollitides and other state and local leaders for the official announcement.

“I am honored to welcome Remington to Alabama,” Governor Robert Bentley said.

“The Alabama workforce, our business climate and our quality of life continue to make Alabama extremely attractive to companies. Remington will soon experience the same type of success that other companies in Alabama have already experienced. Today’s announcement will create more than 2,000 jobs in Huntsville, and reflects a statewide capital investment of $110 million. Our relationship with Remington is just beginning, and I look forward to a continued partnership with the company.” 

“With the acquisition of this facility, we plan to create more than 2,000 jobs in Huntsville over the next decade,” said George Kollitides, Chairman and CEO, Remington Outdoor Company. “This additional capacity is essential to fulfill demand and introduce new products. Having watched our Company grow from 2,400 employees in 2008 to 4,200 employees by the end of 2013, a five year, 75 percent increase, it is easy to see why we’re investing now.”

In 2013, ROC made significant strides including its ammunition facility expansion, firearm capacity growth, winning a multitude of highly competitive military and law enforcement contracts, launching its 1816 lifestyle brand, and introducing a series of exciting new products such as Ultimate Defense Handgun Ammunition and the 783 bolt action rifle. Bolstered by record sales, the company chose to expand operations to Alabama.

“2013 was an outstanding year during which we grew by every key measure,” continued Kollitides. “We are capitalizing on this momentum by strengthening our positions across the board. With demand for our products at an historic high and more new product launches planned for 2014 than ever before in our 200-year history, we are investing in the future.”

Last year, ROC modernized its production facilities, re-focused its research and development on customer requirements, and ensured consistent, high-quality manufacturing. Together, these advancements demonstrate a commitment to meeting customer demand. The Huntsville expansion provides for future needed capacity to support existing product demand and a robust new product pipeline.

ROC has 19 locations in the United States, and Huntsville and Madison County officials praised the company’s decision to expand to Huntsville. 

“With news of this Remington facility expansion, we have yet another example of Huntsville fulfilling its economic development promise,” Huntsville Mayor Tommy Battle said. “Our workforce is among the best and brightest in the nation, and they deserve challenging career opportunities, along with the high quality of life Huntsville provides. We are thrilled to welcome Remington to our city and region.”

“Our pro-business environment, along with the region’s extensive manufacturing experience, helped us outmaneuver two dozen other states looking to attract Remington,” Madison County Commission Chairman Dale Strong said. “This announcement represents new diversity to our local economy, and will provide an array of opportunities for skilled tradesmen, engineers and support personnel.”

Following facility upgrades, ROC is expected to begin operations in Alabama within the next 18 months.

The Governor’s Press Office can be reached at 334-242-7150.

About Remington Outdoor Company

Remington Outdoor includes some of the most globally recognized brands on the market including Remington®, Remington 1816®, Bushmaster® Firearms, DPMS/Panther Arms™, Marlin®, H&R®, The Parker Gun™, Mountain Khakis®, Advanced Armament Corp. ®, Dakota Arms®, Para™ USA, Nesika®, Storm Lake® and Barnes® Bullets.

About the City of Huntsville

Huntsville is Alabama’s second largest city with more than 550,000 residents in the metro area. The city became internationally known in the 1950s and ‘60s for building the rockets that put man on the moon. The city is now diversified in aerospace, missile defense, biotechnology, telecommunications and advanced manufacturing, with more degreed engineers per capita than anywhere else in the U.S.  Huntsville’s Cummings Research Park is the second largest of its kind in the country.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline HWB13

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 09:54:01 AM »
Took a look at the 1816 catalog.  Hoped to find retro firearms instead found the lowest price item was a pair of $14 sock then up to a ugly $40 hat.  Maybe they are trying to pay for the move with the $95 sweater that I bought for $35 last month.  Hope we are not banking on their prosperity on that line.  Don't any help at Ilion for us.
Kevin   
Handi's:17 Mach2, 17 HMR,17 WSM, 22LR, 22 Win Mag, 204 Ruger, 22 Hornet UV, 22-250 UV, 25-06, 30-30, 35 Whelen, 30-06, 20gaX2, 20GA ultra Slug, 12ga ultra slug, 12 ga Turkey, H&W 45-70 BC X2, 45 LC CC, 44 Mag, 500 S&W and 140+ non-H&R types

If you have to shoot more than once you should not have shot the first time.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 10:19:31 AM »
When the number of employees being transferred to Alabama exceeds the number of employees at the NY facility the math says the NY facility will close. 
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Jim Flinchbaugh

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Photo Galleries
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 11:27:55 PM »
 "(ROC) will expand to the old Chrysler building in Huntsville,"

This part makes me happy. Every time an outfit around here wants to move or start up, they all think they have to
have sme big fancy new building. We have literally hundreds of empty buildings around here that could be used
and they wont use them. Tells me at least they have someone with some sense at one of the controls

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 11:56:17 PM »
When the number of employees being transferred to Alabama exceeds the number of employees at the NY facility the math says the NY facility will close.
Who says Remoington will pay to move the workers, and just not offer them a job if they show up. 
Although when our company planned to move 25 miles away we were not looking to take a majority of the workers with us and were looking to hire new at the new city.  I talked to the HR manager at the time and bet her $100 that the Union vote we had reciently was with in 5 votes of all our employees that voted to go union were with the company less than 5 years, she said your on, got a horrified look on her face and ran to the president of our company and the next week we were offering raises if you went with us to the new city. 

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 03:21:19 AM »
"(ROC) will expand to the old Chrysler building in Huntsville,"

This part makes me happy. Every time an outfit around here wants to move or start up, they all think they have to
have sme big fancy new building. We have literally hundreds of empty buildings around here that could be used
and they wont use them. Tells me at least they have someone with some sense at one of the controls

The "old" Chrysler building, built in the mid-70's I think,  will be space age compared to some of the buildings in the Remington logo.
But I agree with you.
Hope Ilion finds some use for the old brick Remington buildings. Convert them to customer service centers or something.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 05:31:40 AM »
As for this improving quality control, I wouldn't count on that necessarily depending how many experienced  employees are moving to the new operations, when H&R moved from Gardner to Ilion, only a few employees moved leaving the training up to those few and all the newbies running the plant, it took several months of not so good service to get back to normal operation and work out all the kinks. If Remington is planning on hiring 2000 new employees over the next 10yrs, that tells me the new plant won't be a move from Ilion any time soon.

Tim

ALBANY — The state’s oldest gunmaker announced Monday it will build a factory in Albama employing 2,000 people — raising fears the company eventually will leave New York.

Some Republicans blamed Gov. Cuomo and the tough anti-gun law he pushed through the legislature for the decision by Remington Arms to look outside New York to locate its new plant.

Cuomo aides and elected officials in the central New York town of Ilion, where Remington employs 1,300 people, said they have been assured the gunmaker is not moving any jobs out of state.

Remington has operated a plant in Ilion since 1816.

This additional capacity is essential to fulfill demand and introduce new products,” Remington CEO George Kollitides said in a statement. Remington did not return calls seeking additional comment.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/remington-arms-announces-factory-albama-sparkng-fear-new-york-exit-article-1.1618049

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline PowPow

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 07:39:52 AM »
Now that we have Remington coming here, we just need a Ford F-150 plant, a Skoal plant, and a Slim Jim plant.
Alabama could become a sovereign country.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 10:04:14 AM »
Now that we have Remington coming here, we just need a Ford F-150 plant, a Skoal plant, and a Slim Jim plant.
Who makes ammo in Alabama?  You may need an ammo maker or two to keep the prices low.
 ;) ;D

Offline PowPow

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 10:12:21 AM »
Who makes ammo in Alabama?  You may need an ammo maker or two to keep the prices low.
 ;) ;D

We all do. 8)
We can export enough Mercedes, Hondas, Hyundais and catfish to buy components.

Offline Jim Flinchbaugh

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Photo Galleries
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2014, 12:26:27 AM »

that right there was funny & had me rolling!

Offline jleem66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2014, 12:51:46 AM »
We've got a Winchester ammo plant over here in N Ms. We'll do some swappin and trading.
  Jimmy