Author Topic: found this site...... .243 accuracy?  (Read 3830 times)

Offline sureshot2040

• Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
found this site...... .243 accuracy?
« on: February 20, 2004, 12:19:31 PM »
hey guys,
i just found this site. thanks montanan. im glad to see some of the other regulars from the old site. i just sent my handi off to h&r to have a .243 heavy fitted. i have never owned one in this caliber. always shot the big ones but i am told the .243 will hold up pretty well out to around 500 yards if i do my part. is this believable or what? yall let me know what yall have done range and accuracy wise with the .243
thanks,
sureshot

Offline 243tom

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 12:50:56 PM »
Just got my 243 Ultra Varmint 2 weeks ago....have only shot 10 rounds from a monopod at 25 yds to get the scope relatively close,,and that was a pretty cold/windy outing......but I'm on the bull at that range........Using Hornady 58gr. V-max factory loads,,, heard good reports on that ammo.
I swabbed the bore and the chamber real good with bore polish before I shot it,,as per the many other posts I've read about these guns,,these guys that post really seem to know their stuff,,and it doesn't hurt to follow their direction,,if it sounds like it might help!!
I'll watch for other posts about the 243 and will add my own experiences when I get back out to really see what the gun will do at farther ranges,,just need the weather to get better here in Ohio.

Offline Warthog

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 03:17:08 PM »
Hi sureshot.  I've only been to the range once with my Ultra .243.  It does not like 100 grain bullets, period.  Since I would like to hunt deer with this gun as well as varmints, I'm going back to the range in the morning to start my quest.  First will be 95 grain Ballistic Silvertips.  Next 90 grain Sciroccos.  Those are both factory rounds.  If they both fail, I'm going to try to work up some loads with 85 grain Partitions.  If none of these work, I'm trading it in towards a Model 7 with a 20 inch barrel and 9 3/8" twist.  That should handle the heavier bullets a little better.  I'm mainly going to hunt coyotes and deer with it, so the heavier bullets are much more to my liking.  I'll keep you posted.
Whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger.  Right up until it kills you.

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2004, 05:10:15 PM »
They shoot great with a little tinkering and finding the right bullet combo 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2004, 06:04:44 PM »
Welcome aboard Sureshot...glad you found us..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Mrs Graybeard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2004, 07:27:03 PM »
sureshot,  Welcome to the GBO family.  I hope you enjoy your stay with us.

Mrs GB
Kind hearts are gardens, Kind thoughts are roots, Kind words are blossoms, Kind deeds are fruits.

Offline Warthog

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2004, 05:36:47 AM »
Alright, I'm officially disgusted now.  Scratch the BTs and the Sciroccos.  I'm down to 85 grain Sierras that I'm going to load up sometime this week.  I don't know when I'll get back to the range, but if this doesn't work, this gun goes in the river.  Just kidding, but it will be time to do something.  To be fair, I've never had this kind of problem with any of my other Handis, and I still think they're great guns.  I just got one of the real finicky ones this time and I may have to change barrels or trade for something else.  I'll let you know.

Offline WVHILLBILLY

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2004, 03:15:21 PM »
In my Ultra Varmint 243, I shoot 75gr V-Max handloads.  At 100yds I got a 0.663" 3-shot group.  At 500yds the same load shot a 4.28" 3-shot group.  The only other load that I tried in this rifle was 70gr Nosler Ballistic Tips which shot well also.  For a gun that costs less than $250 it will outshoot some of my more expensive guns. :grin:

With the proper load worked up for your specific rifle, it will produce well at longer distances.

WVHILLBILLY

Offline BIG JAKE

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2004, 03:15:53 AM »
SURESHOT I HAD A LITTLE TROUBLE WITH THE 243 GROUPING 100'S. I DID FIND A FEW THINGS OUT RIGHT NOW. THE GUN DOES NOT LIKE TO BE DIRTY AT ALL AND IT DOESN'T LIKE A HOT BARREL. THE OTHER THING IS SOMEONE FROM THIS SIGHT SAID SOME NEED TO BE SHOT A GOOD BIT BEFORE SETTLE IN, HE WAS RIGHT. I'M AT ABOUT 120 ROUNDS THROUGH IT AND THE GROUPS HAVE SHRUNK DRASTICALLY!
HOPE THIS HELP.  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:
squeeze it, don't pull it!!!!

Offline Bis

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2004, 04:26:44 PM »
Sureshot_ I have a ultra 243 that hates Fed. 100 grain ( they go thru the target sideways at 50 yards), but loves 80 grain Win. stuff. I think its the twist rate. I called H&R and they say all 243 are 1 in 10. I took a ram rod with a tight patch, ran it part way down the bore, then marked the rod and pushed it thru until I had one revolution and and marked the rod again. Then pulled it out and it meassured 12 inches. I maybe nuts, but that tells me I have a 1 in 12 twist which might explain why it does not like 100 grain stuff.
 I am going to try my luck at reloading and will try some other sizes, 80 grains just seems to small for deer.
 Please keep us informed on your luck with your 243.

Offline Warthog

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2004, 05:21:00 PM »
My Ultra Varmint 243 went back to H&R today.  We'll see what they say.  I loaded up some 75 and 85 grainers and they too tumbled through the target.  I have to believe the crown has a bad spot.  My son said it was flat on one side.  His eyes are much better than mine.  I'll let you know what happens when I get it back.

Offline Ponydog

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2004, 07:25:45 PM »
Sureshot...Bis

Have a 243 handi that does well with Rem corelokt 80 grain.  Plain green box.  My son knocked down a nice Texas 8 point at about 110-120 yds  with it , no problems....and a nice 6 point with it the year before.   Now I don't know if I'd pull the trigger on a deer at 200 yards with it and feel really comfortable...but from 150 yards and in with an 80 grain ..I do feel really confident in it.  

Ponydog
“when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government.”

Offline Bis

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2004, 12:58:52 PM »
Warthog-I  would have sent my barrel back if the thing had not shot 80 grain Win. ammo so well. It just does not like 100 grain stuff. Am I wrong in thinking that if the cleaning rod makes one revolution in 12 inches that its twist rate is 1 in 12?

Ponydog-Did your son shot the deer in the shoulder or the head? Everyone down here seems to think that a 243 is to small for a shoulder shot, of course they all are shooting 270's, 7MM, and 30-30's.

Offline Warthog

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2004, 03:11:33 PM »
Bis, that sure sounds like a 1 in 12" twist to me.  If that is the case, it certainly would explain why the rifle doesn't like the longer bullets.  I believe 1 in 10" is really marginal for the .243, but even then I don't think bullets should tumble.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2004, 03:36:00 PM »
Warthog
I'd sure a good smith take a look at that crown before you get rid of the gun.  If there is damage to the crown it will cause erratic flight.  I have heard these rifles like the lighter bullets in 243 and most are happy with deer kills using the Sierra 85gr HP gamegetter (Gameking?) bullets.

Whoever got the twist rate from NEF got bad info.

Here is the twist rates from Savage Arms on the model 11G but it applies to all their rifles.

Rifling Rate of Twist

223 Rem. (1 in 9")
22-250 Rem. (1 in 12")
243 Win. (1 in 9.25")
7mm-08 Rem.(1 in 9.5")
308 Win., 7mm WSM., 300 WSM.(1 in 10")
270 WSM. (1 in 11")
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Bis

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2004, 04:23:32 PM »
I called H&R and explained my problem with 100 grain rounds and my deal with the cleaning rod and my assumption that I had a 1to 12 twist. The people cs to me that ALL H&R 243's were 1 in 10 twist but anything was possible and I should send the gun to them

Offline BIG JAKE

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2004, 09:49:49 AM »
They made good on mine. I had a different problem but they put a new barrel on it. The more I shoot it the tighter the groups get.

Offline Bis

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2004, 01:07:55 PM »
Big Jake-- Did you have to send the entire weapon or just the barrel  and how long was the turn around time?

Offline BIG JAKE

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2004, 12:44:20 AM »
Bis I sent the whole gun minus the scope. If I remember correctly  it was around 4 weeks to come back.