Author Topic: Who threads all your stubs for you?  (Read 682 times)

Offline jkpq45

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Who threads all your stubs for you?
« on: February 22, 2014, 02:10:41 AM »
Do you guys have a special gunsmith that rethreads all your barrel stubs for you?

Or do you just do it yourself?

My lathe isn't very high quality, worried about getting everything lined up.  Local gunsmiths want hundreds of dollars for rethreads (more for chambering, cut/crown, etc.)

Just wondering if there's a better deal to be had....
jkpq45

Offline a4beltfed2000

• Trade Count: (16)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Who threads all your stubs for you?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 07:56:43 AM »
depends on what caliber you are looking for, some are reamed chambers some are stubs some are rebored to other calibers, some are discontinued calibers previously offered by H&R?
H&R/NEF 10, 12,16 20 28 ,410 .243 45 357 45lc. 1919a4, uzi, sten mK 2,3,5 M2HB, 1917a1, ak74(2) amd 65, RPK (2) 11 aks and 50 other guns....

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 10:07:32 AM »
There's a few members who stub their own barrels. Other than them, I only know of one gunsmith who does it on a regular basis. He's good, but his personality keeps me from going back to him.

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline nanuk-O-dah-Nort

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 10:24:11 AM »
up here, it is rare to find ANY 'smith who will even look at a rebarrel for under $300, and that is just for threading the barrel... not even thinking of a stub

after 4 rifles, I'd be better off buying a used lathe.

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 12:39:23 PM »
I am working on a switch barrel idea for the Handi's uses a common stub with interchangeable barrels . Barrels will be inserted from the chamber end and held in place with a nut like a Savage. Many possibilities of cartridges from a single stub.
 All I need to do is quit working 80 plus hours a week so that I can work 90 hours a week on fun stuff ;D
George
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline sethk

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 02:01:22 PM »
I am working on a switch barrel idea for the Handi's uses a common stub with interchangeable barrels . Barrels will be inserted from the chamber end and held in place with a nut like a Savage. Many possibilities of cartridges from a single stub.
 All I need to do is quit working 80 plus hours a week so that I can work 90 hours a week on fun stuff ;D
George

I really hope you strike it rich and get to work on that. I've had the same concept stuck in my mind, as you likely know.
What I have: 30-06 Handi (2003), 12ga mod. bbl
What I want: .22lr offset (versa-pack) bbl, 357 Max bbl

"Enter into that darkness where neither the Law nor human reason gives its light, but only the dark word of faith."   - C.F.W. Walther

Read Jorge Luis Borges.

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 09:39:05 PM »
  As jeepman has mentioned there are many other ways to end up with a shootable handi barrel.  I have done several dozen barrels for handis and other brands of break action  rifles / shotguns.  I will list some of the ways I have done them and they have all worked fine.
 Starting with a stub of about 3 1/2" long, drill / bore or ream the stub thru to a common size then using a tap thread the front side of the stub then turn your barrel to fit.
 Doing the same way except with the stub chucked up with the breech end out, Drill, bore , or ream thru then tap the breech and make your barrel to fit. This would work if you are working with a slim profile barrel that does not have enough diameter to blend into the stubs 1.1 " front side diameter.  On these I have simply turned a piece of steel with a inside diameter to fit the barrel OD and mate up to the front side of the stub and can be epoxied, soldered or welded in place and then finish turned to blend into the stub and taper  forward until it matches the barrel profile.
The method that jeepman and trotterlg have used with the stub bored strait thru with a rim cut at the breech to locate the barrel flush with the breechface of the stub then a nut at the frontside to retain it.
 I have done one as a hybrid  stub / liner by cutting a 410 barrel off just in front of the barrels forend attachment so as to have a longer stub. With a long piloted drill I drilled thru the chamber and bore and made the long stub with a thru bore of .610 then turned my barrel from the breech end forward to the length of the stub and epoxied the barrel into the stub. After the barrel was turned to make the area where the barrel O D mates the stub the same and finished to where the " joint " was nearly invisible.
 I have done about 2 dozen as liner barrels, This method you start with a shotgun barrel then cutoff the muzzle end until there is no choke and the bore is the same full length. Then you just turn the liner barrel from a takeoff barrel to fit the shotguns bore and chamber and with a rim at the breech end to head space it and epoxy it in the shotgun barrel. If you are working with a cartridge with a large head diameter you can drill or bore the chamber of your shotgun barrel first to allow enough wall thickness so you feel safe that there is enough around the chamber end.
 I have not done a barrel yet with this method but will someday, Starting with a round barrel blank such as Green Mountain sells with at least 1.125 OD turn the barrel with the same chamber swell diameter of about 1.1" then taper towards the muzzle. Mill a flat about 5/8" wide on the chamber swell with a large dovetail or stepped key that is cut 90 degrees to the bore. Then make the underlug from a piece of 5/8 wide flatstock with a matching key or dovetail and silver solder it to the barrel blank. To keep things simple I would make the extractor from a early style round post H & R ejector and just put a spring in front of it to push the case out about 3/16 when the barrel is opened .
In that way the underlug would not only need a hole drilled and a cross drilled pin to retain the extractor so that way the whole surface area between the underlug and the barrel would be soldered instead of about 50 % of the area if it were to have the 5/16 wide square extractor recess as the factory does them.
 There is a member here on GBO that built at least one barrel with nothing more than a drill press, belt sander , and dremel tool, no lathe ! and the barrel was perfectly safe, shootable and accurate so it proves there are many ways to do a barrel.

jedman
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 12:43:54 AM »
At one time I thought about using the USH 12ga. as the interchangeable insert barrel platform as a benchgun to play with different calibers. The breech end of the insert barrels would be turned to emulate a snug 12ga. shell and the muzzle end would have a collar c/w setscrews and a taper to snug it all up once in (thus in all this no threading required). The breech would just have a notch to get a small screwdriver tip in to catch the case extractor groove or rim.
Slide the insert barrel in from the breech
Close the action
Set the muzzle piece on and while holding down some pressure set the screws
Ready to rock
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974