Author Topic: Walker on Gunbroker.com  (Read 826 times)

Offline filmokentucky

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Walker on Gunbroker.com
« on: February 26, 2004, 08:36:00 AM »
Has anyone seen the Walker Colt on Gunbroker.com? They've started it at $40,000.00. And  I think there are some inregularities in this piece. If you look closely at the point where the round portion of the barrel meets the boss, you can see where the cutter left a half moon notch in the barrel when the loading lever slot was cut. This is not present on originals and on second generation Colts, but usually found on Italian copies.
  Also, the grip area is wrong. The top of the back strap is incorrect and the profile of the top of the grip panel itself is too flat. And the area between the trigger guard and the front of the grip is too wide. Also, none of my photographs of Walkers shows a stamping of "Colt's Patent" on the left side of the frame.
  Any thoughts on this?
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
Walker on Gunbroker.com
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2004, 08:43:31 AM »
The "Colt's Patent" is actually on the right side of the frame.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member

Offline Full House

Walker on Gunbroker.com
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2004, 02:12:27 PM »
I don't understand what the barrel half-moon cut means...I looked closely and can not tell what you see.  It does not look right; there is something not correct.  I looked at all my Colt books and could not find that Colt patent logo. Give in more detail what you see.

Thanks,
Full House

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
Walker on Gunbroker.com
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2004, 02:40:43 PM »
Look at the barrel where it goes from round to square. Between the barrel and the loading lever you'll see a small arc cut out of the bottom of the barrel. This is where a modern fly cutter was used to cut the slot for the rammer to pivot in. This arc is not present on originals or on my 2nd generation Walker. I'm pretty sure this Walker is bogus. The more I look at it, the more the whole grip area looks wrong. It just doesn't look like any of the photographs of originals that I have.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
Walker on Gunbroker.com
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2004, 04:23:49 PM »
I just compared my 2nd generation Colt to the auction gun. My Colt is nearly identical to the cased Walker on page 24 of R.L. Wilson's book "Colt  An American Legend". The auction gun is definitely completely wrong in the grip area. Also, the barrel boss profile is incorrect and the reliefs along the bottom of the boss are too shallow. I'm pretty sure that this is an early Italian repro that has been skillfully aged. Even the loading lever doesn't look right.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member

Offline Full House

Walker on Gunbroker.com
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2004, 04:51:19 PM »
I have got the same book and I agree with you.  I still can not see the half-moon arc from a fly cutter.
Full House

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
Walker on Gunbroker.com
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2004, 05:30:05 PM »
In the bottom photo, it's the tiny light spot right above where the ramming lever goes into the barrel boss. It is hard to see. You used to see this on all the imported c&b revolvers because nobody had the old fashioned reciprocating cutters anymore. When Colt brought out the 2nd generation guns, they insisted on authenticity and a way was found to eliminate the arc the rotating cutters left. It's also part of the reason why the Colts cost so much more than the others.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member

Offline MOGorilla

• Avid Poster
Walker on Gunbroker.com
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2004, 02:10:30 AM »
I would never buy an antique sight unseen.  I want it in my hands and probably appraised.  A few years ago, I was a regular perveyor on Auctionarms.com.  A guy had a "derringer" for sale, listed as a pre-Civil War percussion pistol.  It bore an uncanny resemblence to a slicked up pistol kit form Classic arms.  The guy was asking $500 as a starting.  I saw a bid and emailed the bidder-really none of my business but I stuck my nose into it anyway(forgot the Duke's advice in Big Jake).  All I told the bidder was he should do some research and gave him a link that showed the Classic Arms pistol.  I won't repeat the email I got from the Seller-not happy the bidder forwarded that on.   Anyway, the guy admitted that it was a fake, he had been duped and was going to pass on his misfortune.  I saw the pistol on gunbroker.com a few months later, and then back on Auctionarms a few months after that.  Anyway, their are plenty of reputable dealers out there, but most won't be found on auction-internet sites.   These guys have a good rep and have an actual store you can visit as well.

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/index.html

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
Walker on Gunbroker.com
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2004, 11:39:46 AM »
I have e-mailed the dealer asking about some of the discrepancies evident on this piece. I was polite. I haven't recieved a reply yet.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member