Author Topic: Turkey Gun suggestions?  (Read 1480 times)

Offline PASlugger

• Trade Count: (0)
Turkey Gun suggestions?
« on: March 14, 2004, 08:53:17 AM »
Here in PA, turkey season is just around the corner.  I was out to the range to pattern my Ithaca model 37 full choke,  a Lefever 12 ga double, and a fox sterlingworth.  None of them where great at 25 yards.  

When I was growing up, PA did not have that many birds, so I never hunted in the spring.  Now, they are thick in the areas where I hunt.  The past two fall seasons, they were pretty easy pickings with a 22 mag.

I want to get out there in the spring now and have some fun.  What are your feelings on the H&R/NEF turkey models?  Would you go with 12 or 10 ga.?  I already have 3 12 ga doubles and 1 12 ga pump, so I was thinking of a 10, just to add some variety to my collection.

Are the choke tubes H&R/NEF provide decent, or would you recommend going with another tube for around 50.00?

Thanks.

PASlugger.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Turkey Gun suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2004, 04:36:59 PM »
PASlugger,

Jeff223 that frequents the H&R/NEF Centerfire Rifles forum can answer that question better than probably anybody, He has the 10ga and he went with an aftermarket choke (can't remember which but has a good combination now) after alot of trial and error. He has a good shooter now, and probably could save you a few of the headaches that he went through.  Tell him Busta sent ya, he will give you the scoop!
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline jeff223

Turkey Gun suggestions?
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 04:13:33 AM »
PASlugger,i returned your PM.

this is what i said.the stock tube didnt shoot very good and i added a comp"n"choke xxxfull.the gun now shoots very good.i get a great pattern  out to 40yds with Winchester Supreme high velocity turkey loads.these loads are 2 oz of 6 shot at 1300fps.i tried everything i could find for the 10ga and this one is the best.your gun might be different that mine.shoot it on some paper for a pattern and go from there.

the 20ga ultraslugs are great.cant go wrong there.

good luck

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Turkey Gun suggestions?
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 06:09:18 AM »
Rumor also has it that a 3.5" 10GA hits you with less recoil than a 3.5" 12GA shooting similar loads...I can neither confirm nor deny this because I have never shot a 12GA 3.5 but I have shot my 10 and if that 12 kicks more than the 10, I want nothing to do with it...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline VarmintController

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Turkey Gun suggestions?
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 12:32:16 PM »
that is the truth, the 3.5 inch 12ga is WORSE then my 10ga. i have shot some higher recoil guns, but nothing like those 3.5 inchers :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek: if you are going to want more then a 3 inch 12ga, then just go get a 10ga, you wont be sorry, and your shoulder will thank you :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D
The Proud Owner Of AMERICAN Made Guns!

Offline turkeyhunter

• Avid Poster
Turkey Gun suggestions?
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2004, 04:52:01 PM »
I have to admit after reading some of the posts regarding the 3.5 in NEF I thought surely it couldn't kick that bad.  Boy was I wrong! :eek:  :eek:   I'm a big ol' boy and that gun made me take a step or two.   :shock:  :shock: .

I think I'll shoot 2 3/4 loads at the turkeys this year! :)  :)  :)

BTW.  Turkey season opens this Saturday in MS and in a couple of weeks in TN.  I love spring!! :-D  :)  :-D  :)
Colossians 1:18b:  "That in all things He might have the pre-eminence"

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
Turkey Gun suggestions?
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2004, 05:09:23 PM »
I realy don't mind the 3 1/2 shells in my turcky gun but I would't want to shoot it much in one day may be that peace of iron in the stick helps. 8)
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
Turkey Gun suggestions?
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2004, 05:12:05 PM »
Boy I can't even spell with spell check :oops:
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline PASlugger

Turkey Gun suggestions?
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2004, 09:45:10 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys!

I checked with the local dealer on 10 ga. pricing.

They can get me the SB2-MAB - Black Matte for around $150, or
the SB2-MAD - Camo for around $209.

I guess I'm leaning towards the black matte for less money, I can always camo it up for turkey season myself for a lot less.

Anybody have any comments that would sway me towards the camo?

I did see the other thread about camo ideas for one of these puppies.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Turkey Gun suggestions?
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2004, 04:58:54 PM »
PA...I throw a camo gun sock on my 10GA for the turk season...I think it cost me about $5 two years ago...You just cut off the unnecessary extra and trim around the trigger assembly and the action and you are ready to go...No problems mate.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Xplorer

Turkey Gun suggestions?
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2004, 04:08:26 AM »
In my humble opinion, a camo stock is not necessary, as long as it is a dull or matt finish.  All you want to do is prevent reflection.  Of course the marketing guys would disagree, but they are in business to convince you that you need something that you probably don't.

Now it does come down to personal preference also, and if you like the looks of the camo, then go with it if it is worth the extra $59 to you!  One problem with having everything in camo, sometimes it is hard to find after you set it down on the ground!

Now personally, I like the looks of the H&R laminated stock, so I was willing to shell out the extra $ to get stocks & forends for my slug & turkey guns.  Whatever you decide, you will be happy with your H&R/NEF
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."--Benjamin Franklin Historical Review of Pennsylvania. 1759

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Turkey Gun suggestions?
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2004, 06:04:19 AM »
OK Guys, try this on for size, It's all a matter of perspective. Imagine being a turkey and at the last moment of you life looking directly down the barrel of a 10 or 12 Gauge H&R. Now with your eyes closed and really picturing the moment see the LARGE hole in the barrel. Try to tell me if you can see the camouflage color of the stock when a gun is pointing directly at you, I think and know not. It would not matter if it was black synthetic, walnut stained birch ala H&R or full camo.  I ended up looking down the barrel of a loaded 30-30 from about 3 feet away one night before I retired, boy of boy, I can still see that BIG .308 caliber hole, probably never forget it, it looked big enough to crawl into! I also remember seeing his thumb on the hammer, It looked about 2 feet long! I remember his thumb starting to tighten and the hammer starting to ever so slowly be pulled back. It's odd how time expands and everything slows down at times like that. Needless to say I relieved the bad guy of his gun before the hammer reached full cock and had some up close and personal conversation with him, cuffed him when he finally decided to stop resisting and after securing him jacked out a 170 grain silvertip from the chamber. After transporting him to a cell and locking him in it I THEN started to shake!! I can vividly remember every second of the incident from when I began to look down that barrel but I sure can't remember what color stock the Marlin 336 had on it, until well after the "interesting" part of the incident was over....<><.... :grin: Camo is nice but not moving around a lot and an accurate shot is better.
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
Turkey Gun suggestions?
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2004, 08:30:11 AM »
Nicely said MSP Ret!!!  I got a shiver just thinking about it!  :eek:

My NEF pardner 12 gauge wears high gloss antique walnut stained furniture.  As long as I'm in the shade I don't think the turkeys will notice.  The coyotes haven't.  :wink:

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun