Author Topic: hadi rifle/NEF questions...  (Read 3263 times)

Offline lubbockdave

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
hadi rifle/NEF questions...
« on: February 25, 2004, 05:30:39 PM »
OK, I've been looking at getting a NEF in 270. I like single shots and the gun will be for hunting deer mostly, but may double as a yote rifle where the 223 caliber would be ideal. I've been looking at these guns at the auction sites and was wondering, is there a certain model I should look for if I want one that will interchange between the 270 and 223? and what kind of distance/accuracy can I expect out of a 223 NEF-or a 270 for that matter? I'm also considering a 25 06 in stead of the 270, but lean towards the 270. I may also want a 243 barrel to put on the thing for my daughter to use deer hunting.

So I guess what I need to know is can I buy any NEF handi and be able to interchange barrels between the 223, 243, 25 06, 270, and heck maybe a 44 mag for good measure? and can I expect good accuracy out to 250 yards as i might with a bolt action?

Thanks

Dave

Offline Moonlitin

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2004, 05:43:34 PM »
Yes...all of the centerfire barrels are interchangeable on the SB2 frame.  You can also have shotgun and muzzleloader barrels fitted to the SB2 frame.  You will need to send your receiver to NEF for proper fitting.

Moonlitin

Offline lubbockdave

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2004, 05:58:23 PM »
So basically, if I found a cheap NEF, say around $130 in say a 223, then I could spend another $100 and end up with both a 223 and a 270? and $100 on top of that and have  a 223, 270, and 25 06? and so on....

Also, how difficult is it to change the barrels out? any special tools needed? and if I scope 'em do I need to site em in each time I switch?

Please forgive these questions, I just want to make sure I know what I'd be getting in to.

Thank you

Dave

Offline 10ga.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 06:00:10 PM »
Also if you want to see what they look like and read more about them,   here is a link to their site...
http://www.hr1871.com/firearms/index.php
Paul Corbett
NEF 10ga SB2-MAB 
Handi-Rifle 30-06 Synthetic
H&R 12ga SB2-980 Ultra Slug
S&W .357 Model 586
"Peace Through Superior Firepower"

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 06:06:37 PM »
lubbockdave
If you bought a centerfire rifle SB-2) you could exchange ANY centerfire barrel EXCEPT the 10ga shotgun and rimfire barrels.

The barrels take about one minutre to change, all you need is a phillips screwdriver.

Scopes are attached to each barrel and stay with them and stay zeroed.

NEF/H&R stocks are interchangable as well.  Try all that with a Rossi??

The only drawback is you have to send the gun back to NEF to get the barrels fitted originally then you can do it.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Moonlitin

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2004, 06:08:32 PM »
It's extremely easy to change barrels, the only tool you need is a phillips screwdriver.

You don't need to, but you would probably want to get a scope for each barrel.  So in addition to the barrel cost, you can add the cost of rings and a scope.  If you didn't have a scope for each barrel, you would need to mount and sight in your scope each time you changed barrels.

The tension of the screw that holds the forend and barrel on can change the poi, so although you don't need to sight the gun in like you did when you mounted the scope, you would probably want to at least shoot a few rounds through it to check your poi after you changed barrels.

Moonlitin

Offline lubbockdave

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2004, 03:43:23 PM »
OK, so now I have to decide between a synthetic stock and stainless steel barrels or wood stocks and blue barrels...

any opinions one way or the other??

Thank you

Dave

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2004, 09:15:56 PM »
Yep :grin:
I pick up my Ultra Varmint in LAMINATED Saturday!  The only reason NOT to buy laminated is if you want to paint it camo. :(

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2004, 09:20:29 PM »
I pick up my Ultra Varmint in LAMINATED Saturday!  The only reason NOT to buy laminated is if you want to paint it camo. :(

:grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2004, 12:19:46 AM »
Thumbs up for the UV223...The laminate stock just looks cool.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline .308

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2004, 02:29:54 AM »
Don't know if anyone mentioned this or not, but if you're looking at buying a used one, and intend to add a 'high pressure' barrel through the barrel accessory program, then be sure the first two letters in the serial number are 'NN' or later, like 'NS' or so. Even if the gun has a .270 barrel on it when you buy it they won't install a .243 or .25-06 barrel on it if it was made before 1999. I have one receiver with a 'NK'  serial number (circa 1996) and can only get 'lower pressure' barrels like the .357/.44 mags., the .223, .30-30, and the .45-70 for it. :wink:

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2004, 04:55:10 AM »
Quote from: handirifle

:grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

Handirifle,
  I have mine about a month now, great gun. I added weight in the stock and it really settles on the target nicely. You sure you don't want to paint it? :)
Don

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2004, 09:37:08 AM »
Yep I am aware of that, but no worries, it's brand spanking new :o .  It will get a 30-06, (as a back-up for my Savage for hopeful future elk hunts) and 45-70 barrel later this year for KICKS and grins :grin: .

I'm checking with Lee Shaver about getting match grade barrels (223) in tighter twist rate to try do a little competing in the NRA High Power matches. 8)

Might also try to get a 356 or 358 Win barrels later too.  Be nice to have a nice medium bore, just for kicks, since I did trade off my Marlin 35 Rem to get the UV.