Author Topic: Is the Forum Order "set in stone"?  (Read 593 times)

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Is the Forum Order "set in stone"?
« on: July 15, 2020, 11:32:55 PM »
I have explored GBO Outdoors for a decade (plus years) and am most familiar with its Forum Order (top to bottom).  Is there a means for Reloaded User to change the Forum Order - so it is similar to GBO2? 

Consistency and force of habit run strong in me.  Finding the Forum Order different here is going to take some mental rewiring and some getting used to.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Is the Forum Order "set in stone"?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 02:35:09 AM »
Not really, at least not at the user level.

I can change the forum order and have which is why it is the way it is now.

Until I made the recent change it was more or less how the other site was prior to this last change. They restructured the order of many of them during this last change so after that they would be different due to them changing not here.

What I did here was to move down long some of the sections that are not seeing use here and moved up those that were. Thus now we start off with the politics and religion section which has the PBSF, today's news, science and other forums which are actually where most of the posts are made.

I dropped the Admin section that rarely ever sees a post down a few positions as I did the classifieds which it seems no one is posting to here.

If you have an order of things that makes sense in light of reality I'll be willing to listen. What I have tried to do in the changes I made was to move the sections/forums that actually get used here at this time up higher and move those that don't down lower so folks will have a shorter distance to wade thru the forums index to find what they actually will post to and read.

I really did that on the other site as well just a long time ago. There I had the most used forums at the top and the lesser used forums further down and I put them roughly in the order of their activity. I also did the same for the forums within each section tho when we had sponsors I had the forums they sponsored at the top even if they weren't the most used. That was what made logical sense to me.

I'm willing to listen to ideas on what makes more sense. I won't promise to change things just because I'm asked to but I will promise to listen to ideas and explanations of what that would make more sense.

Just because another site does it tho I gotta admit isn't a really strong argument.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 03:42:06 AM »
No request for reshuffling at this time. Understand the "order of things" here and take no issue withthat

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 05:17:44 AM »
While this is just a resurrection of the original GBO site under original ownership it is still the new kid on the block so to speak since Matt only set it back up recently. For now I'm just trying to get enough action going on here to insure it has a future.

The thing this or any forum site needs most is folks who will start threads. Thread starters are few and far between. Nothing scientific about it but my long time observation is you'll have perhaps a 50:1 ratio of folks who will read and post to those who are willing to start new threads. Then you have a similar or larger ratio between folks who will read only rather than both read and post.

So it all begins with having lots of new threads each day and then lots of new posts added to those and other threads to give those reader only folks something to read. That's what it takes to keep such a site going and drawing new members and new interest.

Older members who've been around awhile know there is more down there deeper if they are willing to scroll down to it. But the newer folks who might develop into active members don't so having the stuff that is actually active near the top, at least from my observation doing this for the last 23 years seems to help get and keep forums active.

What is needed most are folks who will start threads and who will post to the threads others start. That's why I am starting so many threads daily.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 06:07:59 AM »
Yes, I know that too, but in retirement, there is "just not much" in which I am interested these days - that I can WRITE OUT LOUD - and not expose 2/3rds of a Century of disgust at current events through my eviscerating opinion.   If I wrote what I think I would be BANNED. 

I have written entire "novels" to post here only to erase them and write something that resembles the former's essence.  Self Censure is the 2nd Son of a Different Mother...a red headed step child that I get to beat in the corners of my mind. 

I will go to my land from time to time and while plinking, scream at the injustice in our world about which there is NOTHING I can do, except to keep reloading and voting.  With David gone, my sounding board and motivation for hunting, accurizing rifles, casting, and wildlife food plotting has "left the building" AND it's JUST PLAIN HOT OUTSIDE in E. Central Florida in mid-July.

I read Fox Breaking News but do not see much there to repost here that isn't already being discussed in some form or another.  But when I do - I do.  Members can go there and see it, but comments are what make it pertinent, which is why GBO is important.  What do our Members think about the past, current, and future events and the news?  Banter dissects the issues.

I get the odd "wild hair" and create content from time to time.  I will more readily respond to a thread than start one.  That makes me a Category 2 Member in your ranking order:
1- Posters
2 - Responders
3- Fence Sitters

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 09:47:18 AM »
Yup that's about the bottom line description of the folks to visit internet forum sites. I suspect it's not just forum sites either but like facebook and twitter and such also.

You might be surprised what it would take to get ya banned for opinion here. A lot more than at most other places for sure. From time to time Matt vents. I tend to keep those kind of opinions to myself or discuss only face to face. That's just me. Certainly not everyone does that.

I too lost my best friend, shooting and hunting buddy. He died way back in 2001 even before 9-11 and my shooting, hunting and general socializing has sure taken a nose dive since.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125