Author Topic: Opinions on the AR-7  (Read 5361 times)

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Opinions on the AR-7
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2013, 08:58:50 AM »
Well, I'm not going to hijack this thread and I don't want to head it in a different direction: BUT I do have to mention that I have never had luck in ANY firearm with Winchester .22's.  Good to go with Rem Goldens, and bulk Federal HP's, and CCI's, but not Winchester's.  They seem to be lower powered and grouping has not been there.  Just my 2cts.  44 Man

On the same note of the AR-7 being ok for a 'survival' rifle.  Is that the one you would grab if you had to head into the woods and expected to have to live there for a while?  Really?  44 Man

I don't doubt your post but I have had a lot of trouble with Federal bulk ammo in my guns . also cheap Remington has be a problem in some guns. Which tells me any company can load a bad run. Or any gun company can have a bad run.
 I will say CCI has never been a problem.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2013, 06:21:07 AM »
44Man:  To answer your question, NO.  But it fits in the nose cone of the plane out of the way.  It fits behind the seat of the truck, and in the cargo box of the 4-wheeler.  It will do to shoot Grouse, Ptarmigan, and Rabbits in an emergency.  Better than using the 460 Smith for that purpose.  Now that I have the jamming problem figured out, I don't expect any more.  Yes the sites are hard to get used to, but I can hit clay targets at 75 yards with it.  I also can hit plastic soda bottles at 25 to 50 yards, and keep them sliding along the ground.

But if I was knowingly heading out into the bush for an extended period, I'd take my Savage 24, .22lr and 20ga.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Duke0313

• Contributor
  • I am the way, the truth, and the life. -John 14:6
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2013, 08:17:15 PM »
Just bought a Henry Survival Rifle two weeks ago and thru 200 or so rounds with CCI mini mags I didn't encounter one single FTE or any other problems. It's not a tack driver, it's not a competition rifle, it certainly wouldn't be my first choice for hunting or self-defense...but for an emergency "get home gun" it is a great little rifle. Glad I bought it.
"Republic:  I like the sound of the word -- means people can live free, talk free, go or come, buy or sell, however they choose.  Some words give you a deep feeling.  Republic is one of those words that makes me tight in the throat. -John Wayne- The Alamo

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2013, 11:23:41 PM »
Shootall, I think that is a very good question!  Why don't these companys relocate to gun friendly states and take their taxes with them.  Go somewhere they appreciate you and your business instead of continually making restrictions and trying to run you out of business.  I see no reason for any of the major gun manufacturs to be located in the north east!  I am confused as to why any are still there!  I wish Henry well, but relocating would be the best option.  44 Man
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
   The bulky stock contour of the stock would likely preclude me from buying an AR7, since I can't get mu cheek down far enough for an H&R shotgun!
   One would expect the Lefties would learn from just the suggestion of  a move by manufacturers.  Warning:... don't try to apply common sense to Lefties.. they are simply too pig-headed to listen to reasonable debate.  Our governor is among the most pig-headed of all.  He has made it so they want a background check for ammo purchases !   So what does that mean?  That means when supply returns, most ammo sales will go to the reservations or else to bordering states.  I plan on buying in bulk from Pennsylvania, which will require me to travel perhaps 35 miles. or the reservation ..25 miles.  I guess the high tax state wants to lose more tax money..

I have to agree with Longshot on this one.. "CCI is pretty much THE standard for a good RF 22 IMHO".

If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2019, 05:08:21 AM »
Let's bring this one back up and see if folks might want to talk more about it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2021, 12:51:06 AM »
  I think the AR7, since Henry took it over, is a far cry from the old Charter model..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2021, 01:42:13 AM »
I shot one. Never owned one, and never wanted to own one. Clunky,
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2021, 02:45:45 AM »
  Clunky...I agree, which is why i never got one.

Offline gene_225

• A Real Regular
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2021, 04:06:58 AM »
Need to remember what it was designed for. To get you out of a jam. I had one of the Charter Arms, they were not much on quality. But the new Henry's like the one I have now does better. I also like being able to get three mags in the stock instead of only one. One big thing I found with mine is keeping the charging handle in the position it likes. I believe mine prefers to be pushed in to work reliably. Can't explain that, but it is what it is.
Love Love x 1 View List

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2021, 04:30:57 AM »
  I think the AR7, since Henry took it over, is a far cry from the old Charter model..
  I hope not!  I didn't think much of the Charter Arms models I've had...

DM

Offline gene_225

• A Real Regular
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2021, 05:25:46 AM »
  I hope not!  I didn't think much of the Charter Arms models I've had...

DM

Not many of us did. See posts above; so a far cry is better.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2021, 06:03:12 AM »
had one years ago. Had feeding issues with some ammo. If it were my money id buy a take down 10/22 instead.
blue lives matter

Offline gene_225

• A Real Regular
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2021, 06:08:06 AM »
had one years ago. Had feeding issues with some ammo. If it were my money id buy a take down 10/22 instead.

Will it float? My wife's won't.

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2021, 07:36:48 AM »
Need to remember what it was designed for. To get you out of a jam. . . .

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2021, 05:12:00 PM »

Will it float? My wife's won't.

Most tests say they will only float for a reasonably short time.  I guess that recoil pad/cap isn't made to be a forever seal.

Offline gene_225

• A Real Regular
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2021, 06:43:33 PM »
True, they won't float for ever. But I only need one to long enough to retreave it. I've read that you should tie it off to your boat so it doesn't drift away. Lots of conditions to consider but better than not having one or having it at the bottom of the river. In my opinion.