Author Topic: Open Fields, states’ rights, and the sanctity of private property.  (Read 238 times)

Offline Rex in OTZ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Open Fields: Government Cameras Hidden on Private Property Without Cause or Warrant.

These incidents raise numerous concerns for citizens:

Who has access to these images of private citizens going about their business on their own property?How many government cameras are secretly placed on how many private parcels to surveil the owners?Can they in fact prosecute someone for removing or damaging a camera discovered on his or her own property?In what way is this okay in a “free country?”

https://www.agweb.com/article/government-cameras-hidden-private-property-welcome-open-fields

https://www.alloutdoor.com/2020/08/14/open-fields-government-cameras-hidden-private-property-without-cause-warrant/

Unmarked game cammeras on some property are usually taken down by competing deer hunters.
That could land a unknowing property owner in hot water.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Open Fields, states’ rights, and the sanctity of private property.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 03:24:34 PM »
If I were you I wouldn't worry too much about game cameras.

The government has been prosecuting farmers, ranchers, and private citizens over illegal water use with satellite cameras for over a decade.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Open Fields, states’ rights, and the sanctity of private property.
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 12:12:42 AM »
I didn't see anything in either story that said I couldn't take down or damage a camera that's unmarked on my property. I agree that they should need a warrant to put one out just like they need one for a wire tap but I guess too I feel if they want pictures of me let them waste there time. I don't do anything illegal. Like dee said they been using drones in drug enforcement dutys for years and for water use violations. Do you think the government doesn't have the right to fly over someones poppy field or illegal pot growing operation and taking photos. My guess is those guys weren't as innocent as they want you to thing they are. I doubt if the state would waste the time and money to put cameras out because someone was throwing corn to some doves. My state has some weird rules. If a game warden suspects and has probable cause your commiting a game violation he has the right to trespass and investigate. But a state tropper or local police or sheriff cant without a warrant. But without REASONABLE probable cause they cannot trespass. About 10 years ago we had one caught in a lie and he was fired. He was turned in for trespass and it went to court and he testified that he got a tip the people were violating. He would not give his source (because it didn't exist) and the man who pressed charges had many well known local people there to testify that there was no way this man broke the law. Just a new young dnr officer right out of school that had a swelled head and thought he could do anything. If cameras are on my property and there not marked there mine and I will destroy them. If there marked property of the dnr or state I sure can take them down off MY tree and give them back and who knows if they wont get damaged on the trip to there office ;). Dnr and police get away with that crap because people fear them and don't want to go through the bother of taking them to court or are worried about later repercussions.
blue lives matter