Author Topic: Inside the Army's NEW 6.8mm Next Gen Squad Weapon  (Read 556 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline ironglows

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Inside the Army's NEW 6.8mm Next Gen Squad Weapon
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 01:38:05 PM »
It looks like it could be a PIA for maintenance in the field.  Actually the M-16 was originally intended to be chambered in 7.62X51.

The M16 is a proven platform..and it seems it has much potential left.

https://www.wearethemighty.com/gear-tech/original-m16-fired-762mm-rounds

"They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns, then it will be through the bullet"      (Saul Alinsky) ...hero of the left..

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 10:57:50 PM »
A squad weapon isnt the gun all the troops carry. I cant see them doing a whole lot of big budget changes to the entire arming of our soldiers. Not when we already have probably the best military rifle in the world. Most of those look heavier and foot soldiers already carry a heavy load. Add 5 more lbs of rifle and the weight of heavier ammo and it adds up. To me its a fix for a problem that doesnt exist. Other then maybe replacing the saw. Its a heavy bugger and id hate to be the saw man in my squad. They usually pick the biggest strongest man to haul it around and most times have to have someone else carry the majority of the ammo for it. But a whole scale replacement of the m16 would cost billions and i doubt with our political climate today that is going to happen. Been hearing these same stories for 10 years or more now and there still using the good old colt. Solution to a problem that doesnt exist if you ask me.
blue lives matter

Offline ironglows

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 01:20:51 AM »
I'm inclined to go with Lloyd on this one. 
"They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns, then it will be through the bullet"      (Saul Alinsky) ...hero of the left..

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 04:41:31 AM »
heck if they would just spend the money the politicians have blown doing these stupid studies they could have bought our soldiers something they actually wanted. For the most part it isnt the soldiers on the ground complaining about there m4s that brought these tests. Its money under the table and power lunches for the people on those committees.
blue lives matter

Offline ironglows

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 12:56:06 PM »
  I'm 'old soldier' enough, so I wondered why they replaced the M14. I used both M1 and the M14, and i fell in love with the M14.
  Yes, the M14 is a "select fire' rifle, which can be adjusted to fire full auto...but due to the powerful round, and not the weight of the old BAR, which in this case, it replaces..it is a handful to hold and keep from climbing. Select M14s with their .308 round, made excellent sniper rifles..and they were competent bayonet platforms.

Why go to something like the M16 ?  Just my opinion..we were allied with south Vietnam at the time, and those smaller statured guys could use something lighter, and with a lighter recoil.
  I understand that when the M14 was standard issue at he the start of the Vietnam conflict, the Vietnamese troops preferred to use the old M1 and M2 carbine.

Another consideration was involving logistics.  Where perhaps a soldier cold pack 80 @rounds of 7.62, the same soldier could pack say 140@ each of 5.56 rounds.

I'm just a bit "behind the times", since I just don't care for the Mattel rifles.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2020, 10:54:27 PM »
i love a m14 myself. Its a heck of a weapon but that said wouldnt want to haul that heavy thing and the heavier ammo on a 10 mile hike. But id sure like to have one in my hand when s actually htf!
blue lives matter

Offline ironglows

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2020, 11:17:06 PM »
 When I served, we still hit the range with iron sights, but I am not sure if they do that anymore.  Anyway, our range capped at 550 meters, and I managed to fire expert with the M14.
  The M14, like the M1 before it, was substantial enough to settle in very well for the longer
  ranges. A I recall, the regimen was something like, 50 meters-off hand, 100 meters-with sling, 200 meters-kneeling, 300/400 meters-sitting, 550 meters, prone or foxhole..

The M1 range was similar, except measured in yards, last being 500 yards.