Author Topic: trying to make a decision???  (Read 871 times)

Offline woodsdweller

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
trying to make a decision???
« on: February 18, 2004, 03:53:54 PM »
was looking at a keltec 380. was wondering if anyone has any experiance with the BERSA 380 thunder or the High point 380. thanks guys for the help.
located in ny love to hunt an shoot all forms of firearms.

Offline DEPUTY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://MGOUC.COM
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 06:10:25 PM »
How well do you value your life and that of your loved ones? not a one of those would  i ever carry or use to trust my life too

Offline Dali Llama

Re: trying to make a decision???
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004, 12:34:48 PM »
Quote from: woodsdweller
was looking at a keltec 380. was wondering if anyone has any experiance with the BERSA 380 thunder or the High point 380. thanks guys for the help.
Dali Llama say he suggest consider 9mm instead.  Dali suggest Kahr PM-9 as very concealable 9mm.
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline Cameron

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2004, 06:45:31 PM »
If you want a .380 auto go for a Waltherwlm ppk/s in stainless steel.Practice frequently and hope to never have the need to use it.

Consider  Glock models  27,26,30 or 36 ig you want hore stopping power.

carry additional ammo for every gun

Offline xnmr53

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2004, 05:05:42 AM »
Sig also makes a good 380 from all that I've heard.

Offline Swat Dude

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2004, 06:04:33 PM »
Quote from: DEPUTY
How well do you value your life and that of your loved ones? not a one of those would  i ever carry or use to trust my life too

A gun in the hand is worth more than two in the bush, or glovebox for that matter.

Offline DEPUTY

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2004, 07:07:26 PM »
yes but it better work in the classes i teach,  and attended i have seen several kel teks and bersa  last maybe half a day! less than 6oo rnds  in most cases, some have survived  not many though,  i will not trust my life my partnres, or famlies to a inexpensive gun, if i were to pick one of the two it would be the bersa!

Offline Swat Dude

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2004, 04:11:28 PM »
The only familiarity I have with the Bersa is seeing one at the gun store and it looked way too fat and felt too heavy for the type of carry I was looking for. I have put over 1000 rounds through my Kel-tec P32 with no issues and I have 280 rounds through my P3AT also with no malfunctions or even much sign of wear and 30 of those were Corbon .380. Of course I have my P3AT NP-3'd so it is very slick.

What type of failures have you witnessed with the Kel-tec?

I know everyone has opinions on specific guns. When I was in the academy, Phoenix PD officers were issued Glocks and my department was issued Smith and Wesson .45's. The Smiths were the biggest POS's ever and I would not have trusted my life to that gun. I can't tell you how many times we waited on the range because one of our Smiths took a dump, class 3 malfunctions included. The Glock shooters always stood there waiting on us. The second I graduated, I bought a Glock and carried one on-duty of one caliber or another for the next ten years.

I'm not saying my Kel-tec is my only gun, but there is rarely ever a time I don't have it. Can the guys trying to conceal a Glock 27 or 1911 say that? I carried a Glock 27 for years in a fanny pack that screamed "gun insided", but the second I had to dress up where a fanny pack was no longer acceptable, even my ankle holster was a pain. My Kel-tec is much like my wallet, its in my pocket when ever I'm out of the house and its there much of the time I'm in my house.

Would I rather carry my Glock 22C with 30 round mag all the time? Yes. Even more so, would I always like to have my AR-15 with Surefire Tactical Light loaded with Corbon .223 ammo on my shoulder? Yes. Do I anticipate many run-ins with a pack of angry Hell's Angels when I'm at the mall with my wife? No. Do I think it's likely that 20 gangbangers are going to try and jump me when I'm walking from my car to America West Arena? No. Do I think I might get in a situation that might require me to defend my myself or family against one or two attackers, possibly armed? Abosolutely, and it is at those times I will have my Kel-tec, always there.

Offline DEPUTY

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2004, 05:17:05 PM »
Most of the faliures we have seen have been ftf  and a few slides locking open, and if i recall my notes right 3 magazines going in different hunks! no i will admit i have seen 3 kel's that ran with no troubles at all,  trying to recall a female officer i knew from Ppd! female bike officer  real nice girl met her once someplace?

Offline S.S.

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2004, 08:31:55 AM »
With the creation of those "LITTLE" Glock 9mm pistols,
I must say that the days of the .380 may be numbered.
And I really like the .380.
But when you can get greater power in a similar sized package,
why go with the lesser caliber?
I have seen another cartridge that may be interesting though.
It is the .32 NAA. It appears to be a .380 necked down to .32.
The jury is still out though. To me it looks like a .30 luger
and we know what happened to it!
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline sph

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2004, 09:00:06 AM »
i personally feel that the 380 is marginal at best good only as a backup gun if you wish a smaller concealable pistol try one of kimbers in 9mm or .45acp i am smaller in stature and find them easily concealed

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2004, 02:49:22 AM »
I vote with Dali Llama and suggest the Kahr.  I have a P9Covert and it is much smaller than the Glocks in grip girth, also in slide width.  If you get a PMK, those are as small as the 380s!  Mine will shoot +p+ right to the sights and is very accurate.  Yes, it costs more than a Bersa, but after you buy the Bersa, find you don't like it and trade it off, it will be less expensive in the long run.  My Kahr is on the short list of guns that I plan never to sell.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!