Author Topic: Need help for.the wife  (Read 1378 times)

Offline Sandhillbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Need help for.the wife
« on: August 24, 2020, 05:56:42 PM »
My wife and I went target shooting Saturday, she was trying out her ruger sr22. I had taken it out and sighted it in a while ago and it was shooting pretty good. When she started shooting it when was hitting around a foot high at about 7 yards. I'm not sure if it is a trigger control problem, or just her site picture. I've never had a problem with anybody shooting a gun I sited in before, and I can pretty much pick up any bodies gun, rifle, pistol or shotgun and hit where I aim. Now, o e thing a out my wife, she is right handed, but left eye dominant. When she shoots a rifle she shoots left handed. But with a pistol she holds it right handed and both eyes open.

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Re: Need help for.the wife
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 01:05:31 AM »
Depends on how strongly dominate the left eye is. With a handgun it’s easy enough to shoot right handed and just drop your head enough so the left eye is over the sights.
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 01:57:09 AM »
If its her SR22, then adjust the sights for her natural stance and eye alignment; no weird head position, or any unnatural accommodation. And you most likely will not be able to pick it up and hit naturally with it after that. But if its hers, it ought to be set up for her. My son is left eye/right hand, and I had done the same with a 357 I gave him. Had to adjust the sights to his natural poa, and now he can hit what he aims at with his gun. Talking with other folks along the years, right hand/left eyed folks typically require adjustable rear sights on handguns to get the accuracy many right eyed folks can get with fixed sights. That's anecdotal, and I have no mechanical or scientific reason for it. Just seems to be common.
held fast

Offline The Old Man

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 03:52:56 AM »
We had an SR22, and except for cross eye dominace like your wife has, we found the same thing as you, she just shot to a different place than I do.

We adjusted the sights for her, (it was her gun), and shortly afterward traded it in for a S&W Victory 22, that simply worked for both of us.

Our thoughts were should either one of us find themselves in a situation of a home invasion we HAVE to be able to use any gun in the house without any difficulty at all. It is, was, and will remain the primary reason we own firearms to begin with, and that reason must apply to ALL of them, even target guns, shotguns, rifles, aircraft carriers, and Sherman Tanks. If we ever get any of those, we both need to be profient. DOGS OR GUNS, IF YOU CAN'T CONTROL IT< DON'T OWN IT!
Youthful enthusiasm is replaced by old age and treachery!

Offline ironglows

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 05:09:31 AM »
  Perhaps you should try sighting it in a foot low...see if that puts her on target !
"They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns, then it will be through the bullet"      (Saul Alinsky) ...hero of the left..

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 10:13:15 AM »
Let her sight it in if she is the one who will be shooting it. You can be the one moving the sights but let her do the shooting.

Start her at no more than 10 yards, let her shoot enough to be sure where the bullets are going. In my competition day I shot 50 rounds of 22LR on the target before making each adjustment to get my final sight in.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Argent 88

• GBO DJ
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2020, 08:43:57 AM »
Whew, from your header post I thought your wife was sick.