Author Topic: Do I have to Break in a new barrel?  (Read 2429 times)

Offline Illgotten

• Trade Count: (0)
Do I have to Break in a new barrel?
« on: February 27, 2004, 04:22:50 PM »
I was just wondering because i know some people at work that don't break in there guns. I have been reading all of these procedures but nothing about if it really makes a difference I am going to notice.  I've seen posts that some people don't think breaking in is something that should be done. Just wanted to see what you guys thought.

Illgotten

Offline MarkJ_Thompson

I guess....
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2004, 04:48:11 PM »
I guess it has been decided by all ... If you are going to use the weapon for hunting... that the break-in of your barrel consists of cleaning out the copper that the bullets leave in the barrel. When you quit seeing copper on the patch you are good to go.

MJT

Offline elkcrazy

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2004, 05:37:19 AM »
I recently read an interiview with Bo Clerke, owner of Clerke barrels.  They asked about breaking a barrel in and he said it was hogwash.  Barrels are broken in after the first shot.  Take it how you want, but I'm more likely to believe a barrel maker who has been in business forever than somebody's opinion on the internet.

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2004, 08:17:58 AM »
With any NEF/H&R rifle shoot a few hundred rounds through it before getting serious/worried about groups.  The way the barrels are cut and rifled it takes between 100 to 300 rounds for alot of barrels to shoot out the burs, the lockup mechanism to wear in, etc, and get down to business.

Probably not barrel break in per say, but something to keep in mind when "breaking in" the new rifle at the range and setting your scope.

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2004, 09:20:06 AM »
:D, sorry, this was a double post, could not delete it so I eliminated as much as I could!!!....<><.... :eek:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2004, 09:22:36 AM »
:D , Scruffy I have to agree with you, I have been shooting for longer than I woul like to admit and have been lucky enough to hae a reputation among my peers and hunting buddies as usually hitting  pretty close to where I am aiming. Also qualified my entire LE career as expert on all issued and specialty weapons I had to shoot. That is until about my last 5 or 6 years on the job when the rating of "Master" was added, I was fortunate enough to hold that rating when it became available.  I have never used any special method of "breaking in" a barrel. True, I am not a competitive benchrest shooter but have shot my share of long range targets on the range, at least out to 400 meters. All I have ever done was to make sure everything was true and tight, shoot the rifle and keep it clean (a clean gun is a happy gun!!). I agree most new weapons need a bit of shooting to "settle in". It's a tough job but someone has to do it....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley