Author Topic: Ford trucks' built-in generators power Texas homes after winter storm causes pow  (Read 398 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/ford-trucks-generators-texas-homes-winter-storm-power-outages

The 2021 Ford F-150 trucks have available 'Pro Power Onboard' generators

By James Leggate     FOXBusiness

Texas winter storm leaves millions without clean water
Millions of Texans are stocking up on food and water as they are without power due to the winter storm. FOX Business' Grady Trimble with more.

Some pickup truck owners in Texas have been able to ride out winter storm power outages in comfort thanks to built-in generators in their vehicles.

Ford’s 2021 F-150 trucks have the “Pro Power Onboard” feature available, generating 2, 2.4 or 7.2 kilowatts depending on the engine.

Randy Jones was one of the millions of Texans who lost power this week. A resident of Katy in suburban Houston, he had ordered a new F-150 back in November in part because he wanted the onboard generator, and he just received the truck on Feb. 6.

“It came in just in time,” he said.

Ford’s 2021 F-150 trucks have the “Pro Power Onboard” feature available, generating 2, 2.4 or 7.2 kilowatts depending on the engine. (Ford)

Jones told Fox Business his power went out from late Sunday until Wednesday evening. During that time, he ran his F-150’s generator for 10-12 hours each day and shut it off at night. He used it to power his refrigerator and freezer to stop food from going bad, and also ran conveniences like lamps, a coffee pot, toaster oven and TV.

“It was very handy,” he said.

The F-150 models with the lowest electrical output can generate enough power to run power tools or portable amenities for a tailgating party, according to Ford. The most powerful model can run a whole crew framing a house or a day at the off-road vehicle park with two electric dirt bikes, an electric griddle and a portable air compressor simultaneously.

Some pickup truck owners in Texas have been able to ride out winter storm power outages in comfort thanks to built-in generators in their vehicles. (Ford)

Even Jones’ neighbors were able to take advantage of his truck’s generator. They’d been trying to charge one tablet or phone at a time, sitting in their cars.

“When they saw lights on at my house they decided to come see what was going on,” he said.

Jones set out a power strip so entire families in his neighborhood could charge up their devices.

He’s not the only one who has been using one of the trucks for power during the outages that followed the storm. Ford sent a letter to dealerships in Texas this week asking them to loan out F-150 trucks to people without power so they could use the generators, Automotive News reported.

“Our Texas communities need all the support they can get right now,” the letter states. “You can make a significant difference in our community by providing assistance during these very tough times.”

Jones said he was happy he got the truck before the outage.

“It saved us a lot of misery and gave us comfort that we wouldn’t have had otherwise,” he said.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
thats cool. I knew they had lame set ups to power a drill. Chev and ford both had them for a while and dodge does too now but i didnt know they had units so powerful. Heck it would be great in an outage to not need a generator. Just fire the pickup up and turn the lights one. Be especially cool if your truck was a diesel.
blue lives matter

Offline Argent 88

• GBO DJ
  • Trade Count: (0)
Cudos to Ford, in that pic that guy was plugging into 240 as well as 120. I wonder if they were using transfer switches to power a home? Or just pulling the meter, or turning off the main breaker and tying into the load side at the bottom.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
that 7kw would power you whole house with power to spare I can power my whole house with a 5kw but its sweats if i have a few things on and a couple freezers start at the same time. but i guess to look at it realisticaly me running 3 freezers 2 fridges and a water pump is the exception not the rule. 3k would keep your furnace running your tv on your coffee hot and one fridge running. . Im sure though that requires a 80k diesel truck.
Cudos to Ford, in that pic that guy was plugging into 240 as well as 120. I wonder if they were using transfer switches to power a home? Or just pulling the meter, or turning off the main breaker and tying into the load side at the bottom.
blue lives matter

Offline oldandslow

Advancing technology is really nice. My last outage lasted three days and was years ago. I had an SA200 Lincoln welder which was no help as it only had 120 V DC. I did have an Onan 8 hp. 120/220 v AC generatoe that I could carry around. I used an extension cord to run the deep freeze and refrigerator and disconnected my water well and rigged up a 220 volt extension cord to pump water. It required quite a bit of work moving the generator back and forth, now you just pull up your truck and plug into it.

I still have that generator and it still works although I haven't used it in years. I used to carry it around by myself. Now I would have to have help.

Offline Argent 88

• GBO DJ
It was smart of Ford to include that 240 outlet on that power panel. We have a 240 Manual transfer swith with a neutral on the house. That way I can run the entire house and not need the extension cords or jury rigging anything. Line on top, load on bottom. Middle is for the generator, so no mistakes are made. It only switches to the load and never to the line. Line is completely disconnected in that position. Generator is completely disconnected in the line position. 

Offline Argent 88

• GBO DJ
Ive seen idiots who tie into the line when the power is off. Two things can happen here, first one is you will be back feeding into the main line, which will pretty well max out your generator. Second is, your not parallel with the power company, and when the line power comes back on, your generator is immediately toast. If not on fire.

Offline Argent 88

• GBO DJ
Paralleling is an entirely different science. Example.  You have two 50kw generators , you want to combine them to get 100kw. Both have got to be running exactly like each other. Htz, volts everything. Electronic governors made doing that much more effective and safe.  I'm only trying to give some helpful information.

I worked in power generation for 40 years.