Author Topic: What are the pros and cons between J4 and Sierra Jackets  (Read 821 times)

Offline Sledge*

• Trade Count: (0)
What are the pros and cons between J4 and Sierra Jackets
« on: March 03, 2004, 06:16:18 PM »
I have noticed that Sierra jackets are a lot softer than J4s but Sierra only sells 1 length for each caliber which limits you in bullet weight unless you trim which is not that hard to do but just makes for 1 more process. The J4 is a little harder to swage the rebated boattail than Sierra.  I haven't tried anealing J4s, maybe that would help.   Need advice from all you pros on bullet swaging.     Thanks    Sledge
KEEP YOUR NOSE TO THE WIND AND YOUR POWDER DRY!

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
What are the pros and cons between J4 and S
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2004, 05:49:48 AM »
Sledge,   Finding a supply of jackets that you can use 'as is' is very  difficult for the small quantity bullet producer.  It's not exactly a choise of 'pros and cons', but more of a situation of getting as close to what you need as possible and then cutting/trimming/anealing/reducing... whatever is necessary. If you were buying 200,000 jackets a month, then jacket makers would be competitive for your business and 'pros and cons' decisions amoung their wears would come into play. Even Pricing would be of importance. Right now we hobbyists have to take what we are lucky enough to get. At least that's my view for jackets at .32 cal and below. 8)

Offline Donna

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • http://www.aeroballisticsonline.com
What are the pros and cons between J4 and S
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2004, 11:23:10 PM »
Hello Sledge, :D

I second Talon on this.

Donna
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20