Author Topic: Bought a Hi Point 9mm today...  (Read 990 times)

Offline Cap'n Jon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://yoopersportsman.com
Bought a Hi Point 9mm today...
« on: September 17, 2003, 04:50:58 AM »
I bought a starter semi for CCW,  I couldn't use my 686 6', so I wanted to get a 2" 357 revolver, but had talked to a few people about the Hipoint C9 from Beemiller, inc.  I bought it for the price.  I will buy a better semi, or .357 revolver later, but wanted to hear what y'all might of heard about the Hi-Point... :)
Hi Deputy...
Just got back from 2 weeks in North and South carolina...

Offline .45 COLT

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2003, 02:27:22 AM »
Hi Points are heavy, ugly, clunky-looking guns that are extremely reliable. I have 3 of their 9's and 3 of their 45's. One of the 9mm's has had a steady diet of +P+ reloads for over 3 years now without a hitch. None have ever had any failure to operate except one of the 9's, which was traced to the factory ammunition. I think the reason the manufacturer is able to give a blanket warranty, lifetime including misuse, is that they don't break. Price is right. They'll never win a beauty contest, but I like them.
On the 19th of April, 1775, a tyrannical government sent an army to disarm its citizens. They ran into a touch of trouble.

Offline Cap'n Jon

• Avid Poster
    • http://yoopersportsman.com
Thanks .45 colt...
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2003, 03:57:59 AM »
That will work for me!  It does seem very reliable...I will run a few shells thru it this weekend.

Offline Redf150

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2003, 11:36:24 AM »
My cousin had a High point 9mm for his first gun.
He was sitting in his living room, was looking over his new gun set it down on the table with a round in it picked it back up forgeting it was loaded :roll:  pulled the trigger and off went a round into his celling :drink4: .
After that his gun never worked right thank all that is good.
He never needed a gun in the first place, that was my experience with high points, oh ya they are ugly, heavy, and cheap :D
Greater is He that is in me than He that is in the world.

Offline Chesapeake Troller

Hi-point 9mm
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2003, 11:42:23 AM »
Bought one about 10 years ago for $99! The store owner told me three things:

1) don't expect to get 2 thousand rounds thru it, that's not what it was designed for.
2) Only shoot full metal jacket bullets, it does not do well with any other loads
3) keep it very clean.

To date it shoots as well if not better than my Beretta 380 and glock 40. While very ugly and almost embarressing to show off at the range, it is a good gun to have around, and if I lose it/got stolen it will not hurt as much as the more expensive ones.

Troller

Offline JohnClif

Hi Point?
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2004, 09:33:35 PM »
Please don't take criticism of one's gun as criticism of one's self... but why on earth would anyone buy one of these as a self-defense handgun?

Isn't your life worth more than that?  Would you trust your life to this gun?  For me the answers are, "Heck, yes!" and "Heck, no!"

There are so many good guns on the market, made by companies who are proud of their product and who invest in the machinery, people, and materiels to make a quality product, that it is truly incomprehensible to me why people buy guns like the Hi-Point.  

People don't realize this, but the 'junk gun' companies are the most profitable in the industry (for the company AND the dealer).  The dealer margins on these guns approach 50% and because of their low cost most people don't complain or bring them back when they don't work so warranty claims aren't an issue.  That's why they can afford to have a lifetime warranty... few people take advantage of it, and the guns are so cheap to make that giving the customer a new one doesn't really eat into the profit margins.

Anyone who can afford Internet access can afford, and should buy, a better gun for self-defense.  Now, if you just want to waste some money... it's a free country.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2004, 03:47:14 AM »
At the range I go to, we have had several people show up with there Hi-point pistols. All of them are very disappointed. The gun jams, fails to feed and all the guys are trying to sell them or trade them in, but the range I am at won't take them as a trade. The gun shop owner there said he would not sell this gun knowing someone's life may depend on it someday. IMO I would never carry a gun for defense porpoises unless it is a quality and well made gun and the function was flawless. But good luck with you gun.  :eek:
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline kimber45fan

Hi Point..of WHAT?
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2004, 09:18:29 AM »
:eek: Just my 2 cents worth..I have people want to qualify at my range with a Hi point...most shoot the first mag  then borrow a p85 Ruger or p 95 RUger or S&W 469 to finish qualifications with. We do double and triple taps from 7 yards and the Hi point runs out of ammo after 7-9 shots, even if they have an extra mag, it is slow and clumsy to reload....I have heard many say that HiPoint, Raven, J Stallard Arms ,Bryco and the like are the Anti Gun crowds best friends..because they are cheaply made..I believe it is better than a rock...IMHO

Offline 1GLOCK

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2004, 09:59:09 AM »
For a plinker no. CCW NO NO NO NO!! Personally I would never trust my life to a $139.95 handgun. I would suggest that as soon as you can get a high quality CCW gun you should. I carry either a Glock or Para Ord. Im of the oppinion that you get what you pay for and with a CCW gun I think its a good rule.