Author Topic: looking at an inexpensive auto  (Read 1134 times)

Offline woodsdweller

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
looking at an inexpensive auto
« on: September 18, 2003, 02:17:56 PM »
i was looking for an inexpensive but reliable carry auto. i was looking at the taurs pt25 or the jennings in a 380. no one has mentioned th 25 acp is it an ok round? i know you get what you pay for. any help would be great. thanks
located in ny love to hunt an shoot all forms of firearms.

Offline SAWgunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • http://www.ranger.org/
NO .25 ACP!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2003, 02:54:25 PM »
I personally would not like to be shot with anything, but the .25 would be my first choice.  I have seen wasps flying that would probably have more ft/lbs of energy when they hit you than the .25 ACP.  In all seriousness, do not buy a .25 ACP.  I would think that your life is worth more than $600, so why not put the money out on a Glock .40 S&W (155 gr. HydraShoks), .357 SIG or a .45 ACP (180 gr HydraShoks or Golden Sabers).  The Glock in as near perfect for reliablility as far as humanly possible, it is easy to learn and shoot, and will launch something that will make your intended target stand down.

P.S.  You can pick up a used Glock for around $400, and Glocks are hard to wear out, so you can feel safe buying a used one.
Nosce Hostem
"Birds of Prey" 743rd MI BN
Proud Freemason-Chugwater Lodge No. 23

Offline DzrtRat

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2003, 04:52:44 PM »
I would be really careful about shooting someone with a .25 acp.  Methinks it would really make 'em mad, and the little pistols that shoot that cartrudge wouldn't even make a good club!

If you can't afford to buy yourself a good semi-auto pistol, then I'd say you need to look at a decent quality, low priced revolver in something like a .38 special as a minimum caliber.  The cheap autos are prone to malfunctions and when you REALLY need a gun, you don't want it to jam.

Taurus makes some small affordable revolvers that are worth checking out.

~Rat

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Inexpensive autos
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2003, 04:11:49 AM »
woodsdweller:  I would not opt for the 25 auto.  I have one and shoot and carry it occassionally but unless you know exactly what you are doing with that caliber and can do it under the most stressful of situations, get something larger.  The 25 is certainly not a one or even two shot fight stopper although many, many people were shot dead with those things long before inexpensive 380s and 9mms became more readily available.  I think that at one time, the 22lr from pocket rockets and the 25 acp held the record for having killed the most people in the US.  If it turns out that a 25 is all you have in your pocket when you need something, then understand that it's greatest effect may be as a contact weapon where the muzzleblast can impart significant damage as well.  

For your other thoughts, I still like the Tokarev pistol.  You can get them in two calibers these days, the original 7.62x25mm and the 9mm.  They are sold both ways and if you purchase in one caliber you can always find barrels in the other caliber.  In addition, you used to be able to find barrels for them in 38 Super Auto.  Now, the Tok is an all steel but fairly small and lightweight semi-auto.  They are not the prettiest but they are rugged as all get out.  I have never suffered a malfunction unless I used crummy ammo that got the piece so dirty it just wouldn't chamber.  You can prolly still find Toks for under $125 and with a bunch of extra magazines and a different caliber barrel you could easily be looking at a 2 caliber handgun for under $200, and that would prolly include ammo.  If you choose this route, try and find a Polish made Tok - they have a more reliable safety set-up and are better finished inside and out than the Chinese pieces.  If you can find an original Russkie TT-33, that's even better.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline jhm

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2003, 04:44:09 AM »
Woodsdweller :  In the price range you are wanting to stay in and the cal. range I would look at the kel-tec line of handguns, and like several of the others said to stay away from the .25 I would not want to be shot by one but then again I dont want to be SHOT the kel-tec line has the great little .32 that alot of leo officers carry as a back-up and off duty hideout gun I carry the p-11 in 9mm so often I keep forgetting about the other handguns I have but thats because I have alot of faith in the 11 rounds it carries, good luck, :D    JIM

Offline sundogg1911

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2003, 09:30:52 AM »
I bought a North American Arms Guardian .32 auto (Stainless)
I love it. never chokes on anything (Very reliable) I have a small akers sharkskin pocket holster. I can carry it at work (I have to wear dockers with collared shirts.) and it's totally concealed.  :roll: Its not my Primary carry gun, but it's a hell of a lot better than no gun at all. (Primary is a Para Ordnance LDA 45 full size)

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2003, 11:01:58 AM »
Get anything but a .25 ACP!!  A high school buddy of mine was shot in the back of the head at point blank range(powder burns on his head showed the barrel was almost touching his head) by a felon and thankfully alive and back on the force today because it was a .25 ACP.  Doctor said that any other caliber most likely would have done him in.  I can't think of a more worthless cartridge than the .25 ACP.  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline colt451911

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2003, 01:34:41 PM »
I would look at something like a taurus revolver.  In case you didn't notice from what others have said, the .25 acp isnt up to the task of self defense.  Also, I have never heard anything good about Jennings.  Another option might be high point, not the nicest guns around but they are inexpensive and from what I've heard (I have never shot one) fairly reliable.

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2003, 07:00:25 AM »
woodsdweller,

If money is the driving force behind your choice then check out the local pawn shops and sporting goods stores for a used handgun.  Usually you can find a bargain small frame Colt, Smith, Ruger or whatever in one.  I found a great deal a few years ago on a Pocket Model Colt .380 that no matter what I did it wouldn't jam up or anything.  Still not my idea of a good defensive weapon but a heck of a long ways better than a .25.  My advice is to shop around some more.  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline grinch

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2003, 12:53:32 PM »
9x18 Makarov. Bulgarian are the most plentiful and least cost currently available. Good solid weapon and battle tested. Less than $150 in most cases.

Offline TOGO

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2003, 05:18:05 PM »
Try a Bersa 380 Thunder, very accurate, I'v never had a malfunction in the 500 or so rounds I'v put through it. Conceals very good and comfortable just tucked in the waist with no holster. Paid just under $200 for it. Along the same line I have a Hungarian PA-63 that fires the 9X18 Makarov. Great carry gun, not as accurate with the commercial ammo on the market but after reloading for it I found the right combo. Paid about $ 110 for it, also it fires 380's without malfunctioning , at least mine does, can't speak for others out there.

Offline PawDaddy

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2004, 02:41:51 PM »
I would also recommend the Bersa .380.  It has a lot more power than a .25 and is reliable, easy to shoot, and sells for around $200.00.  The Taurus .38sp revolver would not be a bad choice either.  Don't wast you money on a .25!
PawDaddy