Author Topic: For the Vets. on here?  (Read 839 times)

Offline DEACONLLB

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (149)
For the Vets. on here?
« on: May 03, 2021, 10:34:11 AM »
I was wondering if any of you Vets that use the VA for some or all of your health care ever get a Questioner from the VA on how they are doing with our health care? I got one a few years ago and filled it out and sent it back. I got a letter Saturday that I would be getting one and today in the mail it was here. Just yes or no type questions no personal info requested. Prepaid mailer came with it only list my doctor and how he and his staff were doing nothing with my name or address on the survey. I can say that for my years of treatment it has went great with the exception of two bum doctors that did not last long and my wait time from the time I check in to seeing the doctor or my nurse has only been around 20 minutes.

Deaconllb
Korean war vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing K14 Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defense Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the  CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.

Offline Goldie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: For the Vets. on here?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 02:56:29 PM »
Every time I go to the VA I end up with heartburn and excessive mental anguish. I think the Doctors are rejects. I'm getting where I cancel more and more appointments.

Offline O-mega

• Quite Professional
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 03:12:29 PM »
I have Tricare, so for years I didn't us the VA for much, I was even disenrolled unbeknownst to me.  It took about 8 months to get back in, then was told to just go in once a year.  I did until all this BS, getting my meds mailed to me vs having to wait for an hour or more each time I need a refill is so much easier.  I rarely go into the docs though, unless I am truly sick, so I still only go in once a year, or more if they request labs or need a follow up on something.  The current doc is ok, the others were a bit too lax, telling me to use my Tricare instead.  The thing is, they were right most times, but since the spotlight has been on them they have gotten much better.
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~

Offline Muskie Hunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 12:27:31 AM »
Our VA , here in Ohio ,just built a new clinic and it's beautiful. I filled out a questioner also. I have nothing but good to say about my doctors or visits. Sure, there have been times in the past where my wait was longer then I cared for but times have seemed to lighten up a bit since the new clinic. I am thankful that the VA keeps close tabs on my health through lab work and exams and call in medications are easy.
Vietnam, 66-67, 173 rd. Airborne Brigade, point man, tunnel rat
Vietnam 68, 82 nd. Airborne Div. , sniper.
NRA Member

Offline NWBear

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 08:01:01 AM »
+1 on great care at the VA.  My last Dr. retired, really sad he was like Dr. House in his ability.  The new guy is great just not the same.  I tell them when ever I can that they are dong great.

Offline Goldie

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 08:05:05 AM »
I had a really good Doctor until he retired. Now all I get are towel heads and their just not my cup of tea. Maybe next time I can get a good one instead of a quack.

Offline DEACONLLB

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 10:29:41 AM »
The 2 best doctors I have had were both women. The first one always went over me with a fine tooth  comb. she also trained all the new hires but they moved her up stairs and I lost her. Any thing new for the vets she let me know. The last one was an older woman a real doctor not a PA. They are in the process of completing a new women's only VA in Tulsa so they moved her to Tulsa to be over that clinic, I really miss her she was really good to the guys and saw that they were well taken care of. All in all I have no complaints with the service  and care I have received with the VA.
I also have the Tri care through the VA and I had both my hands done for carpal Tunnel through my Tricare and I had  a great doctor.

Deaconllb

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 11:33:25 PM »
i have nothing but good to say about the va here. They treat people like gold. Doctors are first rate and ive never seen doctors and nurses more friendly. Every time ive gone in for a problem ive gotten a call back FROM THE DOCTOR the next day to see how i was doing. NEVER had a doctor do that before. as to quality? its hard for me to judge because im not a doctor and dont play one on tv. But my buddy who had been treated for a year for indigestion got approved by the va and went for his first doctors appointment for an evaluation and when it was over the doctor asked him how long he had been treated for cancer. his jaw dropped and he asked what cancer. doctor told him his stomach was full of cancer. he died a year later and if that idiot local doctor had done her job he still might be here. he was instantly upgraded to a 100 percent so at least his wife gets the va pension. but as far as me ive had some good doctors in the past and some not so good ones. I wouldnt trade my va doctor for any of them. I wouldnt trade the way the clinic and hospital treat people either. Your not just meat that gives them money. They treat you with the respect you earned. might not be like that everywhere but it sure is here.
blue lives matter

Offline DEACONLLB

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2021, 04:59:33 AM »
My VA nurse said you are a Korean Vet, I said yes they sent me there for my senior trip, she said you guys really make my day. My lady doctor when she was through with my exam. ask me if I would mind going to exray as they were training a new tec. so I said ok went up to exray and she was waiting for me. She said take off your shirt and under shirt and she saw this large silver buckle that I had on and she said that is really pretty I bet you got that for something special I said yes she said oh what I said to hold my pants up. Us old guys really have fun with those young women

Deaconllb

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2021, 10:53:02 PM »
ive got a story too. I apologize for the length but it takes some explaining. My va doc is a lesbian. A BUTCH lesbian. She served 4 years in the army as a medic before college and med school. She doesnt hide it a bit. She was the doctor in my dads small town before she got hired by the VA. She told its her dream job. My family all used her as there doctor when she was in town. They all liked her. I guess one time in an appointment she asked my dad if it bothered him she was a lesbian. He told her know but his son would probably have a problem with it. First time i saw here we sat down in her office and she came right and said, "im gay and if it bothers you i can set you up with the other doctor" I told her i came here for a doctor and if i thought down the line she wasnt a good one or her actions bothered me i would consider it. I told her my religious beliefs say its wrong but this is a free country. One you fought for.

On one of my other first couple appointments she told me i heard your into guns. Your dad told me you have quite the collection. I said yes i do. She asked if i reloaded and i said about daily. SHe then asked me what i was packing. It kind of floored me because theres a sign on the door walking into the clinic that no guns are allowed. I thought about saying nothing but the tone of her voice told me she didnt care so i lifte my shirt and pulled out my Springfield emp. A big smile came accross her face and she said thats one beautiful piece. She went over to her purse and pulled out a ruger lcp and said what do you think of this. I said i really like them and own 3. Right then i knew i had the right doctor. She said she carrys one at work because before she got out she delt with a bunch of ptsd patients and some of them were very unstable and she was always scared and she sees alot of them now.

Her brother was a long time state rep in this area. A staunch republican. He committed suicide about 10 years ago. he had a bad drinking problem that got the best of him. I asked her once how her brother would think of her being a liberal. She snapped an ugly face at me and said IM NO LIBERAL. Ive voted republican all my life. She said the democrats dont support us they use us and try to buy our vote. Then i really thought id made the right decision.

She doesnt eat red meat (I know ) she knows i fish on lake superior occasionally and asked me if i could get her some fish to can. I told her i could do one better. I said saturday my buddy and i were planning to go out after some lake trout and she was welcome to come and she could even bring her wife or whatever she called her. She took me up on it and it was a great trip. My buddy whos even more anti gay then me did some mumbling but after about an hour he saw in her what i did. By the way her girl friend was smoking hot. I mean smoking. I asked her how she got such a good looking girlfriend and she laughed and said it helps to be a doctor and a gun pointed at her helped a bit too. She was happier then hell at the end of the day. We caught 9 nice sized lake trout and we gave them all to her.

She is the only doctor i know that makes follow up calls when someone is having a problem. At first i though it was just for me so i asked her about it and she said she like to do follow ups to every appointment other then 6 month checkups. This girl has a heart as big as the moon. I told her once that if she wasnt gay id probably be at her front door. Shes gay. Does it bother me? Yup a little but i wouldnt trade her for any doctor ive ever had before.
blue lives matter

Offline ironglows

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2021, 12:45:56 AM »
  I just got that survey, and will probably fill it out today and drop it in my mailbox in the morning.

There seems to be a difference between the various centers, or a difference how patients perceive them.
  Probably a bit of each.

I have a choice of 2 different VA hospitals..problem being, either one is a 100+ mile round trip.
    My local clinic is about a 50 mile round trip, where for the 20 odd years I have dealt with the VA, I have never seen a doctor..but the same PA.

As Lloyd said, either place I am treated with friendliness and respect.  ..But of course, I give them the same.
"They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns, then it will be through the bullet"      (Saul Alinsky) ...hero of the left..

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2021, 02:10:30 PM »
I have filled them out in the past,  generally my VA care is awesome.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline stewmagoo1

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2021, 02:23:37 PM »
The VA facility we have in my hometown is A plus quality care.  I did recently receive my survey and filled it out with great remarks.  I dont use the VA facility to its full potential.  I have a small percentage military disability and I am gainfully employed and pay for good-health care insurance and when I go there I see way more deservant veterans that strictly rely on that facility.  It's all they have.  As for the quality of health care it's great.  It hasn't always been that way, but in the last 10yrs they have really cleaned up their act.  When I go there and maybe need directions to a specific area, not only do they tell me, they stop what they are doing and walk me to my destination. 

Offline powderman

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2021, 03:01:10 PM »
The VA in LOU KY  killed my best friend by giving him meds that were on his DO NOT TAKE list. CHARLIE.  >:( >:(
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline ironglows

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2021, 03:23:43 PM »
The VA in LOU KY  killed my best friend by giving him meds that were on his DO NOT TAKE list. CHARLIE.  >:( >:(

Clearly, some local hospitals are better than others.  My two brothers now deceased, were for years having a difficult time with their VA hospital & .
  Once Trump got on the case, things started changing for the better. Sadly though, neither of them were able to enjoy the Trump improvements for long.
"They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns, then it will be through the bullet"      (Saul Alinsky) ...hero of the left..

Offline nw_hunter

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2021, 05:33:52 PM »
 I'm happy with the VA  here. I kind of like being around other Vets, and some of the staff are vets as well. Once a grunt always a grunt....I guess lol!
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline SLUF

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2021, 04:45:49 AM »
Been going to my VA for 40+ years and I’ve only had good experiences. They’ve performed 6 surgeries on me and never a bill. I guess if I had one complaint it’s that once my doctor of 20 years retired in 2010 I’ve had 5 doctors since. They can’t seem to keep doctors around.
"Let the gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."- Thomas Jefferson