Author Topic: How are Moderater's chosen?  (Read 1616 times)

Offline jaycocreek

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
How are Moderater's chosen?
« on: February 21, 2004, 01:54:43 PM »
It's an honest question.Being a computer illiterate,I havn't the slightest idea.Do they get payed?Backgrounds checked out?What's it take to be a Moderater?

Don't take that wrong,It's not my cup of tea.But I am curious.

Best of luck.Jayco.
I didn''t do it and whoever said I did is lieing!!

Offline OTTOMATIC

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2004, 02:35:43 PM »
Way down at the BOTTOM of the EXTENSIVE Forum List. There is a FORUM on FORUMS (it took me 3 days to find it}  There was an Application Form.  After filling out said form and suppling my SS# for an NCIC check, a POSTAL Money order for $25, a release form so $29.95 could be withdrawn from my checking account monthly, a list of references (btw , Chabot gave me an excellent one} and access to my Medical Records, I was ACCEPTED (after a 3 day waiting period of course}............OTTO

Offline Nightrain52

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2004, 02:42:14 PM »
Otto-you forget to mention all the perks we get for free. :D
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS

Offline OTTOMATIC

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2004, 02:42:53 PM »
I could  be a little mixed up though, the above might have been the XXX Forum I Moderate..........................................otto

Offline OTTOMATIC

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2004, 03:30:13 PM »
I'm sorry J you did ask a honest question.   It is a volunteer postion GB posted it as follows

Graybeard Outdoors Forum Index -> Marlin NEF/H&R Talk Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graybeard
Site Admin

Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: UPDATE: All Moderator Positions are now filled I think  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, tentatively the way the voting is going it appears we'll be adding some new categories to this area.

So I'm ready for folks to start volunteering to Moderate them. So far Rifle Ranger and BamBams have volunteered and I'm waiting for them to let me know which of the proposed forums they wish to moderate. BUT to set them all up we need more unless they are going to handle more than one apiece.

PM me or just post here in this thread if you wish to help moderate one or more of the proposed new Forums.

GB

Last edited by Graybeard on Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total

SO it was posted here.  http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=131    Marlin NEF/H&R Talk Support

Which is down below.....................................OTTO

Offline Daveinthebush

The pay is great.
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2004, 04:02:50 PM »
When I first started I was getting nothing and have had two 10% increases so far. So I am making......0X10%=?X10%+?=.........Oh oh, nothing.

I have been helping Bill for a bit now.  The way I got started was that I suggested the Alaska Forum, Swapp Hunts and the Prospecting Forum (new).  Bill asked if  I would moderate 2 of them and I have been ever since.

They are no reguirement on expertize.  Just to try to keep the forum going and to watch out for problems, technical and troll wise. There are a bunch of benifits though; like being able to help others, making new friends and learning more about a whole bunch of topics.  

Sorry to break the illusion, were just plain people trying to help others. :D
AK Bowhunting Certification Instructor
AK Hunter Certification Instructor
IBEP Bowhunting Certification Instructor

Offline marlinman93

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2004, 05:33:23 PM »
That's not fair! I didn't apply because they said it didn't pay anything! Now Otto says he's making big bucks after his small investment!
 You'll be hearing from my attorney Otto!
Ballard, the great American Rifles!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2004, 08:27:11 PM »
It's an honest question.Being a computer illiterate,I havn't the slightest idea.Do they get payed?Backgrounds checked out?What's it take to be a Moderater?

Don't take that wrong,It's not my cup of tea.But I am curious.

Best of luck.Jayco.

Let's address them one  at a time.

Do they get payed? Nope not one red cent. If I were to try to pay moderators as some sites have done this one would be history just like those that tried that.

Backgrounds checked out? Not really, at least not to any real extent. I do generally look over the first page of the list of posts a person has made just to be sure they aren't someone who has been making trouble altho generally speaking trouble makers don't last long enough around here to ask to be a moderator.

What's it take to be a Moderater? The willingness to do a thankless task for no pay. To follow the rules of the site and to help me make sure others do the same.

Folks become moderators in a variety of ways really. Often when someone requests a new forum and the poll gets enough positive votes to justify setting it up I'll ask them if they wish to moderate that forum. Some say yes and some say no. I will then ask for a volunteer if the person who asked for it doesn't take the job. Some people write me via PM or e-mail and express an interest in being a moderator. Some even ask on a forum. If I'm in need of a moderator at that time I do the minimum looking at a few of their posts and if I see nothing to tip me off I shouldn't then I let them give it a try.

I've given the job to some who've made no more than 4-5  posts on the site who I knew basically nothing about other than they wished to give it a try.

Moderators are held to same standards as other members. They are expected to follow the same rules.

So as you can see there is no one set way to become a moderator. It is mostly just being willing to help maintain the good order and decorum of the site and letting me know that when a position comes open.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline jaycocreek

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2004, 01:45:08 AM »
Thank you.I honestly had know idea.

Best of luck.Jayco.

Offline Dali Llama

Re: The pay is great.
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2004, 06:59:50 AM »
Quote from: Daveinthebush
Just to try to keep the forum going and to watch out for problems, technical and troll wise.
Dali Llama say late Marlin Talk could have definitely used some assistance in latter area. 8)
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline HogSniper2

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2004, 02:33:01 AM »
Since you mentioned that, Dali I'd have to agree.  I went to the local hunting/outdoor show this weekend and was talking to a rep at the Marlin Firearms booth.  I asked him why the website closed.  He told me it was getting a little racy, with far too many personal digs, put-downs and insults.  He didn't elaborate much more.  No mention of any other reason.  I think moderators are good.  This is a good site.

Offline Horse Thief

Big Pay
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2004, 06:29:11 AM »
Quote from: marlinman93
That's not fair! I didn't apply because they said it didn't pay anything! Now Otto says he's making big bucks after his small investment!
 You'll be hearing from my attorney Otto!

MarlinMan93
I have some excellent attorney's on retainer, Their address is

Dewey, Cheatham, and Howe
Attorneys and Solicitors
B4U Soldout Lane
Up the Creek, Wisconsin.
Attn. Mr Weno Howe :eek:
Thanks
Gary :wink:

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2004, 08:03:11 AM »
Quote from: HogSniper2
Since you mentioned that, Dali I'd have to agree.  I went to the local hunting/outdoor show this weekend and was talking to a rep at the Marlin Firearms booth.  I asked him why the website closed.  He told me it was getting a little racy, with far too many personal digs, put-downs and insults.  
Dali Llama say unfortunate part be that some (albeit very few) insulters migrate to this forum. :(  :(  :(

Offline Fla Brian

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2004, 10:08:01 PM »
I don't know how the others got picked, but I was walking along the waterfront one moonless night, minding my own business, when I felt a blow to my occipital lobe and then everything went black. When I woke up I was a moderator.
Brian
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NAHC Life Member
Nil sine magno labore.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2004, 02:08:58 AM »
Quote from: Fla Brian
I was walking along the waterfront one moonless night, minding my own business, when I felt a blow to my occipital lobe and then everything went black.  
Dali Llama say that explain a lot... :-D  :)  :lol:  :-D

Offline Fla Brian

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2004, 06:26:56 AM »
Quote from: Dali Llama
I was walking along the waterfront one moonless night, minding my own business, when I felt a blow to my occipital lobe and then everything went black.  

Y'all realize, suh, don't y'all, that this means wowuh? Ah be a'gonna send a certain Texan tuh y'all's abode tuh exack mah ree-venge own y'all.  

Ah garontee!
Brian
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NAHC Life Member
Nil sine magno labore.

Offline jaycocreek

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2004, 10:31:15 AM »
I have to say that atleast here your more tolerant to humor and a short side trip off the subject than some.To take a subject or post and just move it to another post  because that particular post wasn't on subject just because you can,That's real power?

I guess some get off on it?You guy's keep up the good work.Jayco.

Offline Fla Brian

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2004, 12:59:15 PM »
Quote from: jaycocreek
I have to say that atleast here your more tolerant to humor and a short side trip off the subject than some.To take a subject or post and just move it to another post  because that particular post wasn't on subject just because you can,That's real power?

I guess some get off on it?You guy's keep up the good work.Jayco.

Hey, I try. Without one having a healthy sense of humor, one's life would be dreary indeed. And a little flexibility is a good thing, too; it's no fun wearing a strait jacket. The trick is just not to get carried away with it - kinda like what happened at MT. And, mea culpa, I was as guilty as some of the others at times.

Live and learn, I always say. Well, I don't always say it. Sometimes I say other things also.
Brian
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NAHC Life Member
Nil sine magno labore.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2004, 01:01:47 PM »

Y'all realize, suh, don't y'all, that this means wowuh? Ah be a'gonna send a certain Texan tuh y'all's abode tuh exack mah ree-venge own y'all.  

Ah garontee!
Dali Llama say he do sometime wonder where ol' Fred wind up... :evil:

Offline jaycocreek

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2004, 01:09:30 PM »
Brian-Your alright for a Moderater.Now if you could just get GB to lighten up?????Kidding.Would love to meet you fella's.We have to include Nanook 450 tho,as we have a wrestling match to start and finish.Darn good guy but doesn't respect his elder's :lol:

Best of luck to all.Jayco.

Offline Fla Brian

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2004, 01:54:12 PM »
Brian-Your alright for a Moderater.Now if you could just get GB to lighten up?????Kidding.Would love to meet you fella's.We have to include Nanook 450 tho,as we have a wrestling match to start and finish.Darn good guy but doesn't respect his elder's :lol:

Best of luck to all.Jayco.

:D  You tryin' tuh git me in trouble with the boss? Gotta watch out fer him when he be riled.

If'n y'all wanna meet me, y'all gonna head South an' East. I ain't a'gonna head fer anyplace whar folks is heared o' snow!

Who's bookin' th' bets on the rasslin' match?
Brian
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NAHC Life Member
Nil sine magno labore.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2004, 02:03:31 AM »
Nanook 450  
Darn good guy but doesn't respect his elder's

What sort of disrespect do he show jaycocreek, ask Dali Llama? :?

Offline jaycocreek

• Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2004, 10:35:54 AM »
Dahli-Know disrespect at all.I like the youngster. :lol: I just have a mirror image of him and High School.Times have changed for the both of us since then.Mine was my wrestling coach and his was a teacher.Both got our GED's and succeeded since.I fell into the lost art of Judo just after and he is High Tech Karate style kung foo-ish :lol:

I like Nanook and wish I could meet him and other's from this forum.I think it would be fun and we could all see who were typing too.Used to love to wrestle but my old bones are not as forgiving as they used to be.

Best of luck.Jayco.

Offline U.K.Neil

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2004, 10:44:03 AM »
[quoteUsed to love to wrestle but my old bones are not as forgiving as they used to be.

Best of luck.Jayco.[/quote]

You are not on your own there buddy.  I have just this weekend finished re-modelling my son's kitchen and I am aching in places that I didn't know I had places.........
Keep Smiling.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2004, 10:48:19 AM »
Dahli-Know disrespect at all.I like the youngster. :lol: I just have a mirror image of him and High School.Times have changed for the both of us since then.Mine was my wrestling coach and his was a teacher.
Did jaycocreek attend high school with Nanook450, ask Dali Llama? :?  :?  :?

Offline jaycocreek

• Avid Poster
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2004, 11:00:30 AM »
Neil-I here you on that one.My problem is all my boy's from 14-35?My wife say's grow up and be a father,but I can't help myself sometimes with there arrogant attitudes about old people and a friendly wrestling match usually follow's.Even arm wrestling hurt's like hell the day after.

I suppose it's time to take my wife's advice and curtsie out.It's hell to get old for sure when you have a 14 year old(my last) calling his arm's Python's at 6 ft 2 in and 210 pounds and trying to keep my mouth shut which is hard to do as you all know.

Life goes on.Jayco.

Offline jaycocreek

• Avid Poster
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2004, 11:07:11 AM »
Dahli-Know disrespect at all.I like the youngster. :lol: I just have a mirror image of him and High School.Times have changed for the both of us since then.Mine was my wrestling coach and his was a teacher.

Know way :lol: I am older,but we got the boot for the same reason's.

Jayco.

Offline U.K.Neil

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2004, 11:11:34 AM »
Hey Jayco

I know exactly where you are coming from.  My boy is six foot two and two hundred and fourty pounds.  I can still beat him at arm wrestling, but the next day I cannot move - I don't let him know that though..........
Keep Smiling.

Offline jaycocreek

• Avid Poster
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2004, 11:59:53 AM »
Quote from: U.K.Neil
Hey Jayco

I know exactly where you are coming from.  My boy is six foot two and two hundred and fourty pounds.  I can still beat him at arm wrestling, but the next day I cannot move - I don't let him know that though..........

Neil-Two of my boy's are just 10 and 1/2 month's apart(the good ole day's).Now 28 and 27.But when they were 16 and 17 I came home one night feeling my oat's from working and told them if they didn't knock it off I would teach them both a lesson.Well with my blood in them :eek:  they said bring it on.To make a long story short,I will never do that again.One of those,know one won but mom went thru the roof and stopped it all.And I was only in my 40's.First sign of old age and they have never forgot it and want more in fun.It will never happen.

What happened to when there old enough they won't want to,only in fun,but fun hurt's us old guy's.

Sorry for boring you fella's but kid's suck sometimes.I love them all but don't like the aggresive get even with dad stuff at my age.It's time I hibernate I guess.

I have to go to the Docter for my MS this month or next and they want us all to get together(that's where they live)and have a few??????Sounds like pain to me.Know kidding on this one.I am considering not telling them when I will be there or just let the wife kick the crap out of them??

Jayco.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2004, 05:08:02 AM »

Know way :lol: I am older,but we got the boot for the same reason's.

Jayco.
...and what be those reasons, inquire Dali Llama? :?  :?  :?