Author Topic: Shooting session with grandson.  (Read 219 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Shooting session with grandson.
« on: July 31, 2021, 10:22:05 AM »
My youngest grandson, Wyatt, (Matt's youngest son) is staying a few days with us. He was dropped off yesterday during breakfast. He will be 14 early next month.

This morning around 7:30 we loaded up guns and other shooting supplies into the bed of my John Deere Gator and headed up to my shooting range. I have a Remington R30 in .30 RAR that I had never fired. I've had it several years but just never got around to shooting it. It wears a Leupold 2.5-8 Vari-X III scope.

So to begin I sat down at the bench with a large unblemished target sheet at 25 yards and got it shooting close to point of aim. I then moved to steel at 100 yards and finalized the sight in. My 5th shot hit almost dead center of the gong so I turned it over to Wyatt. He fired the last 3 rounds in the 4 round magazine and all were hits on the gong.

Those short cases are so fat (half an inch across) that you can only fit 4 of them in what otherwise is a 10 shot AR15 magazine. For those who don't know the round it is a shortened version of the .284 Winchester trimmed to fit into an AR15 magazine. The R30 is otherwise an AR15 except changes had to be made to upper and to bolt to fit the short fat round. In my 22" barrel it develops ballistics equal to the .308 Winchester in the normal 16" barrels of AR10s.

I'm happy to finally have it sighted in after owning it for perhaps 6-8 years without it being fired. When I bought it I picked up a set of dies and either 600 or 800, can't remember which, rounds of factory ammo. Even then brass was impossible to find. I figure I have a life time supply of brass tho so long as we don't lose it. We found all 8 cases from what we fired today.

I then turned him loose with my Remington AR15 in .223 and a box of ammo. He shot the various size round steel targets at the 100 yard line and never missed a one. So today he was 100% and didn't miss any of the steel he shot at.

Last time out was one day last week when he was staying a few days with us. He missed 2 or 3 that time not being careful for his shots.

That day he had fired the Remington AR15 20 times and my Remington Model 700 LSS limited edition .257 Whby magnum on the steel.

Today when we went up to look at the targets I noticed a nice neat hole almost dead center of the 12" plate. It had cut thru like a drill would. I think it was a Barnes 115 TSX I had tried to make sure it was still hitting to same POI as the Nosler 120 PTs we were shooting. It did but went thru the AR500 steel plate like it would have gone thru cardboard.

He will be staying with us again tonight so maybe in the morning early we'll go out and shoot something else again. I can't take the summer heat very well so we have to get out early.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!