Author Topic: Bushnell legend or monarch binoculars ?  (Read 500 times)

Offline RCK

• Trade Count: (0)
Bushnell legend or monarch binoculars ?
« on: March 19, 2004, 12:01:36 PM »
I'am looking for a pair of binoculars for hunting deer mostly, but will also use these in the off season for general purpose. I have looked through the nikon monarchs and was very pleased. But I haven't had a chance to look at the legends anywhere. I know it would be best to compare side by side, but the local shops don't carry both. So I would like your input on this matter ? Also was thinking that 8x42 instead of 10x42 what do you think? I do a mixture of stand and still hunting, 1 stand overlooks a field 250 yards by 600 yards. Looking to stay around the 250.oo dollar mark thats why I'am thinking about these models. Thanks in advance for any help with this topic.

Offline Thomas Krupinski

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2004, 12:19:26 PM »
I compared the Legends and the Monarks side by side and bought a pair of the 8x42 Nikon Monarks from Dragonfly last month for $259 which included the shipping.

I liked the eye relief on the Nikons over the Bushnell, and I wear progressive lenses and these are perfect.  

Definatly go with the 8 power with that size objectives, as with them I can see inside the shadows under the bushes and inside little caves, and that's where my game is usually bedded down.  I have had them out in the field and although the type of country is different from yours I am pretty sure you will be happy with that power.

Offline RCK

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2004, 12:58:31 PM »
Thanks for the reply Tom. I don't wear glasses and I forgot to mention that.  But I was thinking in favor of the Nikon mostly because I haven't had a chance to try the legends yet.

Offline jackfish

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2004, 04:37:47 PM »
I find the Nikon Monarch ATB has a better view than the Bushnell Legend.  My eyes see a better view than both of those in the Wind River Olympic.  Try D&RSports or SWFA for the best prices.  You probably would be better served by a 8x42mm for your application.  Plenty of magnification, better low light performance and easier to keep steady.  If you want a good glass for under $250 look at the Minolta Activa D WP XL and the Audubon Equinox.  If you don't mind a porro prism the view out of the Wind River Mesa will equal that of the Nikon Monarch ATB roofs and only cost you $150.
You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Offline RCK

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2004, 04:40:56 PM »
Thanks Jackfish I'll check into these other binos before making a decision.