Author Topic: anyone have experience with leupold cds scopes  (Read 1118 times)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
anyone have experience with leupold cds scopes
« on: July 01, 2021, 11:32:31 PM »
ive got 4 of them but to be honest never farted with them much. Ordered the dials and just use mental hold over. Got thinking with this new one though. its a 6.5-300 wby shooting a 140 at 3400 fps. Most of my dials end at 600 yards. This one goes all the way to 900. Just wondering if anyone has actually tried one to see if its even close. Its tough for me to find much more then 500 yards to shoot at here. Only one ive fooled with is my kimber montana that has a 2x7 leupold cds on it. On that one i started at a 100 yards instead of the usual 200 because its not a gun im going to be shooting deer with at 500 yards. But did take it out and shot a couple at 300 with the dial set at 300 and they were pretty much spot on. Just wondering what the chance would be out to 6 or 700 yards.
blue lives matter

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Re: anyone have experience with leupold cds scopes
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 12:38:25 PM »
I was looking at these riflescopes also on camerland online. I was looking at the 3x9x40. But I doubt I’d buy the cds model even though it sounded good. Just not many places in florida where I’d shoot over 300 yds. The one I was looking at are their $299.00 model freedom they call it.
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 04:04:55 PM »
Are you talking about shooting deer at 500 yards??
If you aim at the heart lung area and take the shot, that deer can take a step during the flight time and catch the bullet in the paunch.
I would never take a shot at more than 200 yards at a living animal.
And some folks don't know how to aim at a spot on that deer, they just aim at the deer.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2021, 10:42:06 PM »
well ive killed a number of them out at 500 yafds. Never had one jump a shot. Probably a greater chance at that if your in the woods at 50 yards. What i do is shoot when the deers head is down grazing. They never take a step then.  I tend to be more apt to be off a few inches when deer are easy shots at 200-300 yards because I get a bit overconfident. But then im not one that shoots 20 rounds a year out of my deer rifle and call that practice. I shoot a couple times a week. I shoot every gun im going to use at 1-2-3-4-and 500 yards. I know where my bullet hits. Only reason i asked the question is i wondered if they were close or just a gimmick. Id about bet 3/4s of the people who claim they gut shot a deer because it moved just plain cant shoot and shouldnt bet shooting any further then 200yards. I applaud you though. Unlike many you admit your limit anyway. Most buy a box of corelocks and and a cheap 270 or the latest fad, a 6.5 creedmore and think there all set to shoot across a 40. 
If you aim at the heart lung area and take the shot, that deer can take a step during the flight time and catch the bullet in the paunch.
And some folks don't know how to aim at a spot on that deer, they just aim at the deer.
blue lives matter

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2021, 07:49:37 AM »
well ive killed a number of them out at 500 yafds. Never had one jump a shot. Probably a greater chance at that if your in the woods at 50 yards. What i do is shoot when the deers head is down grazing. They never take a step then.  I tend to be more apt to be off a few inches when deer are easy shots at 200-300 yards because I get a bit overconfident. But then im not one that shoots 20 rounds a year out of my deer rifle and call that practice. I shoot a couple times a week. I shoot every gun im going to use at 1-2-3-4-and 500 yards. I know where my bullet hits. Only reason i asked the question is i wondered if they were close or just a gimmick. Id about bet 3/4s of the people who claim they gut shot a deer because it moved just plain cant shoot and shouldnt bet shooting any further then 200yards. I applaud you though. Unlike many you admit your limit anyway. Most buy a box of corelocks and and a cheap 270 or the latest fad, a 6.5 creedmore and think there all set to shoot across a 40. 
Well, there are hunters who know what they are doing, and then there's the other kind who just aim "at the deer" and put one through the guts.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2021, 11:29:09 PM »
your right about that. I remember about 15 years ago at camp my dad myself two brothers in law and three nephews were out to camp about 2 days before season. A few beers got drank and the "IM A BETTER SHOT THEN YOU" Bs started. I suggested we put a paper plate up at a 100 yards and each shoot 3 shots at it off hand and everyone throw 20 bucks in a pot. My dad is cheap and knew better so he didnt even try. I shot first and hit 3 out of three but it wasnt a pretty group because i pulled one that barely stayed on the plate. The other 5 shoot there three and not a single one hit the target even once. Ive never heard a single one of them brag about there shooting skills again. I also never saw even one of them admit they needed practice and buck up and buy some ammo and do it. They just set there blnds up where a long shot is 50 yards and they have a solid rest.
Well, there are hunters who know what they are doing, and then there's the other kind who just aim "at the deer" and put one through the guts.
blue lives matter

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2021, 05:06:39 AM »
your right about that. I remember about 15 years ago at camp my dad myself two brothers in law and three nephews were out to camp about 2 days before season. A few beers got drank and the "IM A BETTER SHOT THEN YOU" Bs started. I suggested we put a paper plate up at a 100 yards and each shoot 3 shots at it off hand and everyone throw 20 bucks in a pot. My dad is cheap and knew better so he didnt even try. I shot first and hit 3 out of three but it wasnt a pretty group because i pulled one that barely stayed on the plate. The other 5 shoot there three and not a single one hit the target even once. Ive never heard a single one of them brag about there shooting skills again. I also never saw even one of them admit they needed practice and buck up and buy some ammo and do it. They just set there blnds up where a long shot is 50 yards and they have a solid rest.
The biggest centerfire I ever owned was 30-30.
I killed one deer with a 30-30, two with a 20 gauge slug, and one with a .490 roundball.
Longest shot was under 50yds, closest was about 15yds.
I get as close as I can and then get closer. (copied)  I would get right in the brush with them. :)
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye