Author Topic: Accuracy? I Do Not have the correct 22 Bator boolit Nose Punch  (Read 720 times)

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
The 22 caliber boolit nose punch that I have is machined for an aerodynamic, "V" shaped, pointed bullet.  I have used this punch to lube-size quite a few "U" shaped, round nosed, 22 Bator boolits, because I can't purchase the right one in this shortage-prone supply climate. 

Incomplete boolit nose deformation from "U" toward "V" looks more like a Wad Cutter as the circular edge of the punch "bites" into the fatter leading edge of the Bator boolit being sized to 0.225" diameter in the die.  Difficult to describe.  Pictures are worth 1000 words (see the "normal" boolit highlighted in a sea of "wad cutters"):

I will shoot these for accuracy, and did in the past when I first started tinkering with the 22 Bator, which was pretty good.  Its all fun to me just the same.

Offline orerancher

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Accuracy? I Do Not have the correct 22 Bator boolit Nose Punch
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 06:32:31 AM »
Shoot Em...Ya never Know...

Another Reason I like the NOE System I Size Nose First....And Many Bushing Sizes to be Had.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 08:43:40 AM »
Stuck now with the RCBS Lube-O-Matic 2.  Did get a suggestion on castboolits... to use a flat ended nose punch on the Bator boolit.  So 38 Spc/357 Mag wad cutter nose punch here I come...

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 10:33:02 AM »
Generally speaking nose profile has minimal to no impact on accuracy. Base is another matter entirely and defects there definitely cause accuracy issues. I'd not worry about what the punch is doing to the nose tho that advice to use a flat punch is good advice to avoid nose damage.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 11:18:53 PM »
I like the "wad cutter look" to that otherwise "odd looking" round nosed Bator boolit.  Seeing one, much less a box of 100, with that tiny, round nose, half balloon "pill" on top, that lacks a resemblance to an aerodynamic shape, is rather uninspiring.  I know the round will be a varmint HAMMER when the rifle is tuned...not that I have many varmints, other than targets to dispatch. 

Making it a wad cutter induces, for me anyway, a sense of purpose to the round.  There is something visceral in sending a stabilized "ash can" down range to its target, with the intent of final authority - "That's got to sting a mite."

Round nose pill, meh, not excited about that.  Wad cutter pill on the other hand, in 223 caliber, with rifle level velocity, perhaps approaching MOA accuracy (or better), yeah...that's getting my attention.  I am going to shoot them "deformed", as "ash cans", and if accurate, may just keep sizing them with the wrong nose punch...

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2021, 04:03:55 AM »
Why not just buy a proper top punch? Or just powder coat and use a easier push theu sizer where top punches are not required.

If ya like Ill PC for ya, Email me if your interested. Im happy ta help. 
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2021, 04:59:25 AM »
Quite a generous offer cw and I know you are good for it.  Still, I have to slug through the details for myself.  It is, after all, my learning curve we're talking about.  I have not looked for the "proper" nose punch.  I suspect, like other reloading equipment, it will be few and far between on the current playing field of high demand and low supply.

This thread got started in March.  I am STILL NOT SHOOTING.  IDK why...it IS a lot of "work" with gathering stuff from storage, loading stuff, travel, unloading stuff, set up, shoot, take down, reload stuff, travel, unload stuff, and redistribute stuff to storage - you know - WHINING.  I'm just not interested I suppose.  My hunting and shooting buddy is gone, now 4 years, and still my motivation is shot.  I'm getting older too...

I did get out to bush hog before the rains set in.  I hope to herbicide, plow under, plant seed, and cover before the beginning of bow season.  I don't bow hunt but my younger food plotting buddy does.  without food plots, my land is "just like" the tens of thousands of adjacent land with no "drawing power".  So, its plant and maybe get an opportunity or three, or not plant and maybe get an opportunity or two.