Author Topic: sn42bi58 What is this stuff?  (Read 750 times)

Offline flintski

• Trade Count: (0)
sn42bi58 What is this stuff?
« on: February 18, 2004, 02:35:00 PM »
:D I was at the local hardware store this morning and found some lead looking stuff  that was stamped SN42-BI58 with a little research it came out 42% tin and 58% BISMUTH.    would this stuff be worth buying at  25 cent a pound?  Is there a use in casting that can be useful? Bismuth in shot shells is heavy and hard.  You smart guys clue me in... :lol:
Don't shoot ugly guns/////

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 07:15:07 PM »
I don't think I'd try making bullets from it. Sinkers for fishing maybe. The tin is a useful ingredient but mixed with bismuth? Well I dunno about that.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lead pot

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2004, 04:31:19 AM »
That stuff is a low temp solder.It has a melting point of 500 degs.

Kurt.
Dont go were the path leads,go were there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Joe Kool

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2004, 02:05:56 PM »
I would try mixing a half a pound of this alloy to 10 pounds of wheel weights, cast some bullets, and see how they work. If they are too soft, just water drop them out of the mold.  8)

Offline Will Bison

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2004, 07:24:38 AM »
You got me interested. Mixed with lead who knows. At the price, try some and let us know.

Offline cukrus

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004, 08:04:27 AM »
Bismuth itself has a Brinell hardness of 7, harder than pure lead BH5 but softer than wheel weights BH9.  Bismuth shot is reported to have a Brinell hardness of 18,  hard lead shot BH12 (American Rifleman Dec 2003 p.42) Don't know the hardness of the solder alloy but bismuth-lead-tin alloys seem to have low melting temps when bismuth is around 50% and I'd expect this to contribute to leading.  Joe Kool's suggestion to dilute with lead to about 2.1% tin and 2.7% bismuth  might work but I would not expect heat treating to work without  some antimony etc.  At least some bismuth alloys have limited melt cycles before they get crudy/grainy.  Getting lead to mix can be a problem with some bismuth alloys.
My working with bismsuth has been limited by the availability/expense of bismuth.  If you can get Sn42Bi58 for 25 cents a lb, I'd  grab some for sure.  
I'd be happy to buy a couple of pounds from you - be easy to ship several pounds in a flat rate UPS  priority mailer for less than $4.00
cukrus

Offline Lead pot

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2004, 01:57:37 PM »
I think you will get a lot of shrink dinples in the side of your bullet.Bismuth will act like linotype It shrinks in the mould unless you pressure inject it in the mould.
I think cukrus is right with the alloy smear in the bore,Tin will do the same thing if you mix to much tin in your BA.Tin melts around 450 degs.and lead will only except so much tin.When you use more then 3%tin it's just wasted in your bullet alloy,and will contribute with smear in the bore. If you don't seal the gases good enough with enough proper fitting wads to prevent gas cuts.

Kurt

GB Thank you for that spelling check :-) you sure helped me out.YOUR MY HERO!!!!!
Dont go were the path leads,go were there is no path and leave a trail.