Author Topic: Training a coyote dog???  (Read 8017 times)

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Training a coyote dog???
« on: April 24, 2010, 06:59:32 PM »
I am now the owner of a cute little mountain cur pup. I would like to use her to run coyotes any advice on training her would be appreciated.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline RON17T

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Training a coyote dog???
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 06:13:04 AM »
Get 4 or 5 more dogs. I would never use just 1 dog to hunt coyotes. Some coyotes will turn and fight,a one on one fight your dog would probably win but it's going to get hurt. Most guys that use dogs for coyotes have more than one dog.

Offline horsepower

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 11:04:08 PM »
If you are going to hunt with one dog, you gotta learn to toll.  It works great unless you are hunting for fur because it is most effective when the fur isn't prime.  I've tolled with my black mouth cur but she is real timid.  Won't work right with a dog that wants to engage the coyote for a fight rather than lure it back to the gun.

Offline parisite

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 06:03:03 AM »
I think your "cute little mountain cur pup" need not apply for a coyote hound position.

You either need a pack of hard driving, in shape, seasoned, running Walkers that can run hard for hours or some Greyhounds if you're hunting in open country. Any other breeds and you can forget it.
Friends don't let friends buy BSA scopes.

Offline Qaz

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 09:23:42 AM »
 She will probably work just fine. Females tend to not be as aggressive as males and I find that they listen better. The first thing you need to do is socialize her with other dogs and  obedience train her, the absolute minimum is; come, sit, down, stay, go get'em. She needs to listen absolutely or she may get herself in real trouble. One dog works fine, but you need to use her to hold the coyotes attention while she stays about 10 to 20yds to your side. if the coyote holds up too far out, send her out, but call her back when the coyote starts to chase her. Don't worry too much, an adult cur can usually handle themselves pretty good and she will run back to you if it gets too rough. Good luck!

Offline parisite

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 03:05:11 PM »
Qaz, how do you intend to get a dog and a hunter so close to a coyote as you speak of? Walk up on one?..........lol

Friends don't let friends buy BSA scopes.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 03:39:46 PM »
  Correct me if need be, but I think we are talking about 2 different hunting styles here..
    One using a chase dog to trail & run down a coyote.....
  The other, a decoy dog to stay reasonably near the hunter and draw the coyote in...
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Qaz

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 03:54:23 AM »
Parasite- The dog is there to hold the coyotes attention and to lure it closer to you.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 01:27:27 AM »
I think your "cute little mountain cur pup" need not apply for a coyote hound position.

You either need a pack of hard driving, in shape, seasoned, running Walkers that can run hard for hours or some Greyhounds if you're hunting in open country. Any other breeds and you can forget it.
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
  Having bred, raised and hunted them, I can repeat an old slogan:
    " An Airedale can do anything any other dog can do..and then whip that dog "!   ;)   :D

Of course, other dogs also qualify as good, hard driving hunting dogs..Southern Blackmouths, Bluetics, Plotts etc.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Qaz

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 08:52:35 AM »
 I think this is an interesting topic because of the different hunting styles used on coyotes. Although I don't nessesarily agree with running them to death with scent hounds, I support those that hunt that way. I have never witnessed first hand, the use of Greyhounds, I think that would be an exciteing way to hunt them. Lure dogs are the most interesting way to me, because it is a chess match unfolding in front of you. I think there are alot of people that don't understand the game that the dog and coyote are playing. Unfortunately for the coyote, the game is cut short quite often by a 50gr lead enema.
 If anyone is hunting them with Greyhounds, please tell us something about the dogs; size, weight..... and how they are hunted, any training that is involved, and so on.

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 09:17:08 AM »

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
  Having bred, raised and hunted them, I can repeat an old slogan:
    " An Airedale can do anything any other dog can do..and then whip that dog "!   ;)   :D

Of course, other dogs also qualify as good, hard driving hunting dogs..Southern Blackmouths, Bluetics, Plotts etc.
I haven't heard airedales mentioned in 40 years.  when I was much younger, I hunted with a guy that owned a big male. I think that dog could whip a grizzly.  he had a couple of big bad coon dogs, but they walked wide circles around his airedale.

Billly, sorry to get off topic.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 11:35:43 AM »
I trained an airedale for my neighbor as just a general use hunting dog. That breed has a lot of fight in them so it was pretty easy to make a coyote dog. I would just set up as normal with an electronic. Have the dog on a lead laying next to me. When a coyote would start coming in I would start whispering to get the dog riled up. Just, watch em' and so on. Then go get em' and throw my hand and arm out quick pointing to the coyote like you would training a water dog to retrieve blind. Let loose of the 20 ft lead and let him run it off. When I would kill one I would take it over there and do about the same where he would want to attack it. I would tie a lead to it and have his young teenage boy take off running, dragging it screaming to try to trigger the protection instinct. The dog would maul on the coyote a little bit. It probably took about a month to get it down pat where he knew what to do. The fellow was terrible at obedience, so that was most of it getting the dog to do what I wanted instead of what he did. Now my neighbor takes him out by himself. He just leaves the dog on a lead. When it sees a coyote it starts yipping and crying high pitched wanting to tear him up. But he can't get to him so he's whining and pacing back and forth. It usually draws the coyote in. He shoots the coyote then turns the dog loose and he will maul him a little bit to keep his interest up. The airedale has killed 3 coyotes around the house by himself. It drags them back to show his handy work off.

A mountain cur isn't as ferocious as an airedale. For that one I think I would focus more on protection as apposed to hating coyotes and wanting to kill them. As the other fellow suggested a timid dog is good because they don't want to run it off, so they don't have to be put on a lead. But they need a reason to stay around and not high tail it away from the coyote. So usually that is protection of their owner. The dog needs to understand that the coyote is bad. That can usually be done with a dead one getting the dog to attack him.
Molon labe

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 01:19:51 PM »
During my years in the breeding, hunting and competing with dogs, I specialized in two breeds, first Airedales and later Jack Russells..different in size & color..but both having the same pluck, courage, hunt determination and high pain threshold.
    I doubt either one would back down from a grizzly bear..not that they would whip a grizzly single-handed, but they would darn sure die trying...

That same brand of pure guts can be found in Patterdales, and although I never worked with any, I suspect the German Hunt terrier is of the same stamp.
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
   Greyhounds..   When working with the Jack Russels and other terriers, we would find a hot earth (burrow) and "hie the terriers in", that is, send them down the hole.  If a woodchuck were contacted, they would be expected to "draw" the groundhog out of the "earth"..we of course, would dig toward the dog to help.  Of course, on rare occasions the terrier kills the chuck or fox down there...but...
  If it were a fox, the terrier would be expected to drive the fox out of the hole, to a waiting "lurcher" or catch dog.  The lurcher was usually about 7/8s Greyhound with 1/8th Border Collie, Walker, Airedale, harrier or another breed. 
     Sorry Greyhound lovers, but most terriermen will tell you that 1/8th is to give the Greyhound some "brain power"..  They are fast on their feet physically..but not mentally (generalization, of course).
   Some use Scottish Deerhounds as lurchers..

Offline Qaz

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 08:34:48 AM »
IronGlow- I have seen all the breeeds you mentioned worked, and non can hold a candle to a Jaged terrier, they are on a totally different level as far as intensity, totally different level.

Offline omegahunter

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 10:11:38 AM »
So, billy.  Which is it?  Running coyotes or using the dog to lure them back in to you?

Offline rwng

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2013, 05:54:08 AM »
After owning five Mountain Curs myself, I doubt there is a stronger (pound for pound) or more fearless animal out there. Could be some that are equal but not "more". I have not heard of hunting Yotes with them but have friends that have hunted bear and cats with them. They are very versatile and tenascious dogs. 
"Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press and a disarmed populace" J. M.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 06:05:14 PM »
Last winter while I was in Arizona I met a guy with a Grayhound he used for Coyotes.  He says they just run them until the Coyote can't run any more and they end up in a stand off untill he walks up.  On the slightly off topic, ever notice how a skinned Coyote looks like a grayhound?  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2013, 06:49:00 PM »
From talking to Coyote hunters in the lower 48 and doing research the Mountain Curr makes the best Decoy Dog for hunting Coyotes.  The dog must be well trained to come, stay, left, right, ahead, back and stop. 

I have a video of two guys using a Mountain Cur to bring in Coyotes.  She did real good.  When a second Coyote tried to slip in behind her the owner called her back, and she came.  That way the two Coyotes could not gang up on her.  Good reason for her to be well trained.  She knew how to work those Coyotes and make them come right to the gun.  She would go out 400 to 500 yards and bring the Coyotes in.  If they hung up she would go out and chase them, then turn tail and bring them in.

It's time to start working with the little pup.  Start them from the get go on little things, then progress as they grow.

http://www.thenpha.com/blog_details.php?bid=12
This might be a video you will be interested in.  They are using Curs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu8faSu0Qog&ytsession=9xwJ2y4Thnv5u4nrC8pjT08KxHuDWR6nyUxtMeJr3zGk3rMvaOOeUHx_enFboBFV7gRaLjnoX550WjV52JiilnB77wntMQyS6OQpt0nlHwV1IRy0wFrHBpswv_GFf3gxOYLhg4VrF96OU6UmfnnlqfOZwFXPfxz3Nzi7_oaRSJz6JP1LpU39nFgUGLQVUPZYYHMUwsEa3tYef1R50vkiL8n_oBu4DEI005Esob-emhVNc5ihocxV2Gp1goGPc6edVMMPYACWblEIqbIJl57KFIjlUPgOB2H1R1oNH_3FHBl6dM1RFT97vO0cEFzk4b49Xpp3yf0b7RiPmfB40UCBXo_Qgnf1hC9plkrR7KpQasvMglRZz_iQLFKoPAkEi3g62nI-pART-_u4IM5xJY95Li5-1L7WBS7UWYnpK7bnmVlexGEt_TxKIQcxZU_zGDGpcYSetVqdikIKT6BFKN3pjIZux7Y_w5Ds4LD9krACC6Yyi-H0mBor-GiPh9zWSOkJSKPwzby6lMa6j_AI91tYwCgZOV8vVbRNaFdPO-AAgCDoysjlOEOVTV9du3sAS2bfi_k8UqDjyPjPFBBE40hCgbELhG-hDLrTV9lPKIGeCrSiw738jQyeFMcLK7Gj33NzsCgLsIdENOBjBOdzkfcwrFLRzNDt3WMo8ZuJQKzJIVo

Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline FPH

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 06:54:24 PM »
I've only known guys who used greyhounds along with a killer dog (Great Dane type dog). They always used 2 trucks, one with about 15 grey hounds....one with one (two max) killer dogs.

Offline FPH

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 07:12:21 PM »
Sounds like it just takes some good behavior modification training.  I have 3 dogs now ( all dumped dogs) that will do all of the above with either voice or hand commands.  My biggest challenge would be keeping my Great Pyrenees from taking on a yote.

Offline FPH

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2013, 01:25:35 AM »
Well, I stand corrected after last night.  My three "trained " dogs took on a pack 4-5 roaming dogs last night about 2:30.  All my training went up in smoke as I believe their instincts took over.  So breed ( like your pups) my well play a big part, or my training just sucks.  I do think my one dogs flocking instinct and the others cow dog blood did not help.  They will darn sure fight & protect a herd though.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2013, 01:44:59 AM »
FWIW, While in Canada hunting my lab attracted yotes. I had just had my knee operated on and could not walk far. Most of out hunting was from a boat so it was no issue. But there is this dike that has water on both sides and walking it offers as go a shoot as found anywhere. So I get by this big bush with my lab as my friends walk the dike. As they flush ducks I get a shot at the ones that fly my way. Well they get out of site and my dog gets up to stretch and across this field comes a yote straight for her. There was a farm house near and the farmer dropped the yote in the field , then yelled thanks for the help. We noticed yotes several times checking out the labs while they were working. So Tolling for yotes seems like a great way to draw then into gun range.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2013, 07:02:47 AM »
Guys, I posted this on the Preditor Hunting section last night before I knew this forum was here.  This was my experience last Monday.

I adopted a Minature  Pinscher (Prince Fido) last year.  My son and Wife have taught him to howl on cue.  Every night when they come home I have to listen to him howling for ten minutes.  Real high pitched howl, the kind that hurts your ears.
Monday I drove the Dalton Highway (Ice Road) up to the Yukon River.  On the way back I stopped at a good looking place to call.  I hit the siren for a few seconds and got a couple of Coyote answers.  I got out my Chair Blind, and Prince and I walked about 50 yards into the bush away from the road.  We set up on the edge of a grassy clearing.  We had wind from out left to right.  A raging river down wind to our right.  I put Prince on the ground inside the blind.  I tied his leash to the bottom of the chair.  I turned on my Fox Pro and let it howl for a few seconds.  I shut it off and I could hear the Coyotes howling.  Prince ducked under the blind and sat down outside howling.  He was making a constant racket out there.  In maybe three minutes I saw a Coyote about 80 yards out.  Prince was jumping up and down, and started barking.  I was carrying a Savage 24, .223/20ga.  I looked at the Coyote, and it looked like it was not coming any closer.  I shot it with the .223.  It spun around a couple of times then fell over.  Prince started howling again, and turned facing more to our right, towards the area close to the river.  He was just going crazy howling then he would bark a time or two.  The brush was heavier to our right.  I turned facing that direction, and I saw another Coyote coming.  The brush was too heavy to try a shot with the .223.  This one was coming full bore.  Suddenly Prince ducked back into the blind with me.  At 25 to 30 yards it met a load of #4s headon.

I put my snow shoes on and walked out to the second one.  The coat was real scraggly.  I went out to the first one, it's coat was in good shape.

My little buddy did good, it was like he knew just what to do.  He howled and howled, then barked when he saw them.  He sure brought them in.  But when the second one got too close he retreated under the blind skirt, and wanted to jump into my lap.  When I opened the back of the Jeep to put them on a tarp, Prince watched over the back of the seat.  Once he decided they were no longer a threat he jumped over the seat and made his attack.  I scolded him and made him get back up front.  All the way back to North Pole he would occasionally look over the back of the seat and growl.  We will be setting out Beaver sets next week.  Just might let Prince ride along in the canoe.  Who knows what he might bring up to the river bank.  We have a "No closed season, No limit" on Coyotes.  they are classified as an invasive species, and are really hurting the Dall Sheep population by killing the lambs during the spring.

From all the people I have talked to while out in Texas every year, the Mountain Cur makes the best Coyote decoy dog.  So Billy get to work on that pup.  Like I said last night, I've seen them go out and bring Coyotes in from longer distances than most people can shoot.  Bring them right up close to the blind, then stop and stand their ground, stopping the Coyote so the shooter can get a good shot.  They will do their part, you do yours.

When I was a kid, my Grandfather would read me letters from his brother Lon.  Lon had moved to Wyoming before the turn of the century (late 1800s).  They used packs of dogs to hunt Wolves back then.  Walkers or other kinds of hounds to track the Wolf.  Then once sighted, Grayhounds to run it down and stop it from running.  Then came the killer dogs, usually Giant Airdales, to actually kill the wolf.  They did the same thing with Coyotes as the Wolves got scarce. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline ironglows

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2020, 04:32:50 PM »
  Has anyone ever used a small dog tied out say, 30 yards , to attract the coyote..and then erase the coyote before he can get to the small dog..a real decoy..

Of course, perhaps a larger dog would work as well, if the yotes will still come in..
"They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns, then it will be through the bullet"      (Saul Alinsky) ...hero of the left..