Author Topic: 10/22 triggers  (Read 1133 times)

Offline guzzijohn

• Trade Count: (0)
10/22 triggers
« on: July 26, 2021, 05:38:01 PM »
I have never owned one and only had a chance to shoot a couple of them. From what I read on the net the stock trigger quality varies widely from gun to gun. Of the two that I have shot one had a creepy/mushy trigger but with a reasonable trigger pull. The second had neither creep or mush but a very high trigger pull.
A city living cousin had bought one new and then brought it out to my rural place to try it out for the first time. The first time he tried it would not fire, trigger seemed stuck so he handed to me to try. I ran the action to be sure it was cocked, sighted and squeezed the trigger, squeezed some more, no joy. Next checked to be sure it wasn't on safety which it wasn't. Tried again and kept pulling and it finally fired. Would guess at a minimum a 12#+ pull. It would fire fine as long as you had the finger strength. The only thing I have fired that was close in pull was an 1873 trapdoor.
My question after all that is what is it with the design or production that creates such a varied trigger pull from gun to gun? I have owned a Ruger MKI pistol and currently have a MKII (both 5.5 bbl) and have had a Blackhawk .357. All of those have had very good triggers.
GuzziJohn

Online gene_225

• A Real Regular
Re: 10/22 triggers
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 08:46:45 PM »
I bought mine second hand already set up as a target rifle. But my wife's first one I changed the trigger mechanism so it was satisfactory. The second one came with the good trigger from the factory, but it cost twice as much. She had to order that one. My neighbor had the good trigger assembly installed when he bought his. Don't remember what he paid for it put together that way. I still have his old assembly which he gave me. Point is, I think, you get what you pay for on the 10-22s.

Offline ironglows

Re: 10/22 triggers
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 01:36:12 AM »

have owned 3 different 10/22s and fired many others.  I don't recall such a widespread difference.  There have been many changes made, even to the trigger assembly (e.g. ejection button, polymer in place of aluminum etc.)

As with any production line item, precise duplication is an extra cost.  I would lay such differences to roughness of the individual parts involved.  I have never purchased an aftermarket trigger, even for the 2 full trick out 10/22s I built.

My gunsmith grandson can take the original and make it as effective as any aftermarket trigger assembly available, so naturally I just let him do it !

About 2 years ago I bought my last "10/22"...but it isn't a 10/22 at all.  It is a TCR 22, and I am very pleased with it!
   ..And yes, even though the trigger was quite good, I still mailed it to my grandson, so he could do his "magic'..now it is superb.
"They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns, then it will be through the bullet"      (Saul Alinsky) ...hero of the left..