Author Topic: What about a taurus?  (Read 654 times)

Offline dragonhunter80

• Trade Count: (0)
What about a taurus?
« on: March 16, 2004, 09:13:29 AM »
I went to the gun shop today and looked around.  They had a Taurus Millenium PT-111 that i really liked.  Felt good in my hand, comfortable to hold, and easy for me to conceal in what i was wearing today (which is my basic jeans and a t-shirt attire).  The guy let me put it in several holsters he had and see how i liked it and how concealable it was for me)

It is brand new, Stainless steel slide, with a $390 price tag.  $90 more than i was initially looking to spend, but it's the most comfortable in my hand thus far.  Yeah, it's got a long, hard trigger pull, but i'm not using this gun for target shooting with thousands of rounds (tho i will have a gun for that someday LOL)

So, my question is what are everyone's experiences with this handgun?  My freind has a Taurus 40 cal, and loves it, but i can't attest to which model it is - i don't remember.  I just read the post on the slide cracking after 20 rounds - anyone else had a similar problem?

Thanks
Dragonhunter80

Offline TOGO

• Avid Poster
What about a taurus?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 01:48:08 PM »
Dragonhunter80,

I help out at our local gun club, I know of one person that has a PT-111. After he got it, he fired around 80 rounds and it broke, he said parts just fell out of the magazine well, he sent it in and Taurus had his pistol for over 3 months before he got it back, I know many satisfied people with Taurus models but I've heard their customer service is a little slow. A couple mentioned the Bersa 380 thunder, I have one and love it for a $200 gun, feels great in my smaller hands, its slim, compact and very accurate, I've fired well over 600 rounds and never have a misfire, I even bought a couple after market mags made by pro mag for $12 a piece, and both work great. I have several handguns, and another favorite of mine in the wheeled variety is my Ruger SP101, I practice with 38's, so thats what I use while carrying, 357's can get a little rough on my hand after a hundred rounds or so. Whatever type or model you end up getting, try to budget a case of ammo ( 1000 rounds ) look on the internet for deals, and practice as much as possible. Good luck !!

Offline stolivar

• Avid Poster
taurus
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 04:01:43 PM »
I hope they don't take too long on mine... I am the one with the cracked slide...... the thing shot real well till I noticed the crack on the slide and stopped shooting it..

steve

Offline leverfan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
What about a taurus?
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2004, 07:45:10 PM »
I've owned a few Taurus handguns, and overall quality has been spotty.  I've also read mixed reviews on several forums, including one post that claimed Taurus submitted guns to the Treasury service for review, but they failed pretty badly to make the cut for adoption.  Another poster has had multiple slides crack, and Taurus has had to replace multiple guns for him.  My only experience with Taurus customer service involved a letter that I wrote to them back around 1993 or 1994.  They haven't replied yet, so I'm about to give up hope.  IMHO, it's probably a better idea to find a higher quality handgun, maybe from S&W, Sig, Ruger, etc.  If price is a major concern, look into finding a good used gun.  I found a pristine S&W 3913 for less than that new Taurus at a local gun shop.  It conceals well, and it has a good track record, as far as I've heard.
NRA life member

Offline stolivar

• Avid Poster
taurus
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2004, 05:37:44 PM »
I will find out how good they are when it comes back... I will probally stick with my 1911 a1 for now, or the EG Mak

steve