Author Topic: Scoped My Sig AR Today  (Read 457 times)

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
Scoped My Sig AR Today
« on: January 09, 2022, 11:36:52 AM »
Since taking the cow sitting, and predator control job, I decided to pull the Eotech off and put a scope on instead.
Already had a Leupold Vari-XII 2x7 so stuck that on there and re-zeroed at 36 yds. The rifle is a 1 hole at that range, and the 6" steel plate at 200 yds is boring.
Thinking about a Vortex on a 1" riser. Maybe 1 to 6 power.

Any thoughts on that?
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Scoped My Sig AR Today
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2022, 12:43:35 PM »
Vortex is not gonna match the quality of the Leupold either mechanically or optically. I love the Leupold 2-7 and have several of them. Nice wide FOV at lower power and all the magnification needed for most any hunting use on the upper end.

On the 1" riser I guess it depends on how ya mounted it. The AR absolutely requires a tall mounted scope. For that I use special AR type rings/base that attaches to the rail and gives proper sight picture. I got mine on the cheap at Amazon and all of them are performing just fine.

Here is a google link to a search for them. The kind showing when the link opens is similar to what I have. I think I paid maybe $50 or so, maybe a bit less, maybe a bit more.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ar+scope+mount+rings&rlz=1C1VSNC_enUS946US947&oq=AR+scope+base%2Frings&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0i22i30.8816j1j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I have one home defense AR set up with a Bushnell AR scope that is a 1-4 and I like it. Super wide FOV for up close and 4X is all the magnification I could ever use from my home.

My Remington R15 in .223 is set up as a varmint/target gun at the moment. I have a 6-24 power Athlon brand scope on it I got from Camera Land. I'm playing around with it when I have the time to see just how accurate it really is. When I'm done playing in that way it will likely get the Bushnell AR scope in 3-12 power back on it.

I honestly have no particular use for this rifle and so it's just kind of a toy to play with and figure out what I will eventually do with it. It has been mounted with one of my Aimpoint dot sights for home defense in the past, who knows it might do such duty again some day.

For the use you plan to put it to I'd say that Leupold 2-7 is all ya need unless you plan to pop coyotes or such out beyond 400 yards. For that something like the 3-12 my Remington R15 normally wears would be ideal.

Here is the last of these bases I bought. I have it on one of my ARs and have another as a spare for when I scope another one. Price is less than $30

https://www.amazon.com/Monstrum-Offset-Cantilever-Scope-Diameter/dp/B06X9GNNR1/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=best-ar-scope-mount&qid=1641771835&sr=8-4

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2022, 01:34:39 PM »
Yeah, I've seen those, I have one on it now I used for years and years. It's a 6" long milled out steel 1" riser and along with the scope rings is military spec height for my typical 36 yard zero.
Its proven to be almost bullet proof, but isn't a featherweight with quick detachable wing screws.
I'll likely leave the setup as is, its literally a one holer at my 36 HD zero.
I'm always open for improvement, but this will also be my deer gun, and it would easily double as both.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 12:30:59 AM »
i always remember my 2x7 leupold ar story. I was heading to the buddy game ranch to cull out a 1500 lb cow water buffalo for him. Decided at the last minute that the wife would shoot it. Shes got short arms and most guns dont fit her but an ar with the stock back two notches is about perfect.  So i swapped the aimpoint that was on my 50 beowolf for a 2x7 vx2 i had for a spare. I mounted it and ran out that morning before we left to sight it in. Well when we got there the wife took the gun that i had the scope all set up for that stock being all the way out and she adjusted it to the way she likes them. We came up on the buffalo about a half hour later and i told her to take it right behind the shoulder at about 50 yards. She shot and the bufflalo started trotting off with blood dripping out. I looked at her and her face was covered with blood and she had dropped the rifle. Well her wonderful husband ran over and grabbed the gun and went running after the bufflalo and by that time it had slowed to a shakey walk so i put one right in the noggin. Went back and everyone was fussing over the wife. Come to find out the scope broke her nose!! I sure didnt make any points that day. Ended up with about 900 lbs of burger to split 3 ways though that didnt cost me a dime. Ive got three scoped ars today. A 556 with a 4x12 bushnell 4200 a 300 bo with a 1x5 burris tactical and my ar10 308 with a trigicon accupoint 1x4. Actually a lit reticle1x4 is a pretty good choice for an ar if they have a bright dot. With a bit of practice there almost as fast as a redot. You just have to learn to use them like a acog.
blue lives matter

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2022, 04:46:51 AM »
Both of my Remington R15s are scoped (.223 and .30 RAR), my Charles Daly AR is scoped and my Adams Arms is scoped in a way. It wears a Burris 3X prism scope Model 332 they make for ARs primarily.

The rest wear dots.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 05:20:17 AM »
i have one of those burris 332s. Its a bit heavy but imo does anything the acogs can lacking just the tritium vs battery. Mines on a 8.5 inch ar in 300bo that i used for blind hunting at camp where shots rarely get past 75 yards. Someone told me though that a scope on an ar pistol isnt legal. Oh well the local sheriff has shot mine.
Both of my Remington R15s are scoped (.223 and .30 RAR), my Charles Daly AR is scoped and my Adams Arms is scoped in a way. It wears a Burris 3X prism scope Model 332 they make for ARs primarily.

The rest wear dots.
blue lives matter