Author Topic: SHORT MAGNUMS maybe a dumb question  (Read 684 times)

Offline rsr1950

• Trade Count: (0)
SHORT MAGNUMS maybe a dumb question
« on: February 18, 2004, 02:28:19 PM »
Could someone please explain to me the advantage the short magnums have over classic magnums beside a new toy to play with?

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
short magnums
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004, 04:24:34 AM »
rsr1950:  I think the advantage is supposed to be that they can be used in shorter actions, which are lighter and more easily carried in the field.  They are supposed to perform on par with the classical magnums but, what the hay do I know............   Mikey.

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2004, 04:49:30 PM »
rsr1950,Mikey is correct on all counts.You are suppose to be able to have short bolt-eject travel (bolt action of course).Most of the new so-called super short mags are very light;easy to carry all day.........but when it comes time to shot...well hold on to your eye-teeth.I had a Win Mod 70 "Super Shadow" .300 WSM.It weight less than 7# fully loaded w/scope.Kicked like a "pissed-off mule with an attitude"Short travel bolt or not;there will not be a quick follow-up shot :grin: .I traded mine to a buddy of mine for a Rem Mod 700 adl .30-06 synthetic.   Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline jackfish

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2004, 02:29:01 AM »
Supposedly, with the development of some short, squat bench rest cartridges it was found that a wider, shorter powder column of equal charge in an equivalent caliber was more efficient.  Hence, slightly less powder charge in the 300 WSM can equal the ballistics of the 300 Win Mag.
You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 04:10:37 AM »
I will have to agree with everything said so far, except for the comment about the recoil.

The short fat powder column is supposed to burn more uniformly.  As a result, you get more velocity per grain of powder, and better accuracy.  

The short mags fit in a short action, which is shorter and stiffer than a long action, thereby more accurate.

The shortmags also headspace off of the shoulder instead of a belt.

Regarding the question of recoil:  I have shot 300 Winmags and of course, my 300WSM in a Winchester Model 70 featherweight (7 1-4 lbs).

It seemed like the short mag kicked a LOT less than the winmag (shooting similar weight bullets and powder charges).

Last year I started loading 165 grain Nosler Partitions for my 300WSM and I've gotta tell ya'.....it is one sweet shooting load.  I can shoot it from the bench pretty much all day without a puss pad, and not have a sore shoulder the next day.  By the way, this load is one heck of an elk killer.  It's killed three (two full grown cows and one calf) this year.  

Don't get me wrong, if you shoot max 180 grain loads, they'll kick you, especially from the bench.  I just don't think they kick as hard from a 300WSM as from a 300Win mag.
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters