Author Topic: The older receivers with the push-to-the-side barrel release  (Read 2124 times)

Offline Pardner

• Trade Count: (0)
The older receivers with the push-to-the-side barrel release
« on: December 06, 2022, 02:43:02 PM »
I have seen an older version of the H&R single shot shotgun where instead of a 'button' you push down to open the breech, there's a lever that you push to the side.

What are these models called, and are the barrels compatible with the more modern version?

Thank you

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: The older receivers with the push-to-the-side barrel release
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2022, 05:16:58 AM »
There are several models with the swing (top) lever release, all built early, they switched to the push button style (side lever) starting in 1959. Some may be compatible, I have an M1908 made in the early '20s, barrel won't lock (without modification) on any of the 50-60 modern frames I've had, the underlug locking shelf is shaped different than the later shelf due to the self adjusting catch on later frames, the old frames have a catch that moves in and out of the locking shelf fore and aft, the catch on later frames swings in an arc.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2022, 02:08:35 PM »
For steady field use, I'd look for
one of the "newer " models as
a user, and put the older one aside
for occasional nostalgic use, or
just as a display or memento if
there was some sentimental value
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Pardner

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2022, 12:44:53 PM »
Hi folks!

Thank you for the answers.  I should clarify, I have about 7 (? I should go count and see) of the modern versions with the 'push button' barrel release and only one of the swing/top lever release, so I don't know much about them, and I'm just trying to learn a bit about the older guns.  Someone offered me another old one but it's just a stocked receiver with no barrel so my first thought is maybe I could just drop in one of the extra barrels I already have (I never tried swapping one over to the older model I have)

Thanks for the description of the locking lug engagement, I guess I shouldn't approach it as a potential host for other barrels.

Are barrels for the older models hard to find at this point? Sounds like they'd all be over 60 years old...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2022, 05:57:33 AM »
Older vintage barrels are available from Numrich and ebay occasionally, prolly on Gunbroker as well.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain