Author Topic: Mossberg 810A rifle (30-06 caliber)  (Read 1076 times)

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Mossberg 810A rifle (30-06 caliber)
« on: December 10, 2021, 10:15:09 PM »
Where to start...(no responses on Go2GBO on this one so far):

Mossberg has been making rifles for over 100-years. They have evolved with the times. Today, they advertise and "push" their latest creations. Where are their legacy accomplishments? They seem neither proud nor interested in archiving their "offspring".

Case in point, I purchased my bosses' father's estate guns. In the estate was the subject rifle.

I find LITTLE to NOTHING regarding the subject 810A rifle on line. I found no User Manual, no Parts Schematic, no Parts List, and no guide to the rifle disassembly that would enable me to begin a trigger job, smooth the action, reduce trigger pull, or eliminate creep in a BAD-bad trigger (or one that has seen A LOT of wear). I do not want to dive into removing pins and springs from the trigger internals without a road map or directions for "finding my way home".

Once I start, before I take a part out, measurements and photographs will be taken, but without comparators, part names, parts list, video, or someone with experience to call, how will I know if something is worn beyond its usefulness or what to purchase as its replacement? Staying away from hidden springs that go "ping" into the distance, never to be seen again, or worse, take one in the forehead, as well as understanding the idiosyncrasies of removal and replacement BEFORE taking the dive are worth the gunsmith's effort to research.

Any ideas??? Are the 810A trigger internals "similar" to other Mfg's? At worst, I screw it up and hope to replace it with an after market drop-in trigger, but do not want to start with that...though a drop-in assembly is not out of the question.

Offline gene_225

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Mossberg 810A rifle (30-06 caliber)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2021, 04:12:04 AM »
Could it be a take off of someone elses design? I.e. a Mauser?

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2021, 12:13:14 PM »
About all I remember about them is they were nice looking rifles unlike most of the current manufacture guns. I seem to recall they were good quality as well. I sure can't help you on improving the trigger.

I don't recall if they were a spin off of some other design or an original.

I believe this is the number to call them and ask for one from Mossberg. (800) 363-3555

Numrich has parts and a schematic for it on their site: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/mossberg/rifles-mossberg/810

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2021, 01:15:18 PM »
There's Mossberg collectors out there that might be able to help.
A little duck duck go might be your friend.

I'm not familiar with their centerfires, but I've owned and shot some of their rimfires.
They were never known for great triggers but they made excellent barrels.
Don't know about new ones.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2021, 06:09:39 PM »
Thanks Bill.

That'll do.  I did not go into the individual Parts Stores, as you did, to see if they had the schematic. 

A "drop in" trigger group is probably the least hassle and fastest rehab.  It is the neighbor's gun and I will ask him if he wants to spend the money and go that route.  If it was mine and I don't try the manual "fix it" route first, I would forever wonder...

Thank you for the response everyone.