Author Topic: New 223 barrel is back again  (Read 1117 times)

Offline winchester1

• Trade Count: (0)
New 223 barrel is back again
« on: March 09, 2004, 04:35:29 PM »
Hey guys, After sending my rifle back with it's new 223 accessory barrel,it has returned!  :grin: The firing pin was apparently flattened and was hanging up in the primer thus making it hard to open (Sounds crazy but it works now). The firing pin was replaced at no charge :grin: , and a new forearm fitted to that barrel took care of the loose when open problem :grin: . So my new 223 is back up and running! Time to find a load it likes,any suggestions?-Thanks,Jeff
HUNT SAFE,SHOOT STRAIGHT,& P.T.L. <><

Offline like2shoot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004, 01:32:17 AM »
Start with the Winchester value pack to establish a base line. Wal-Mart sells 50 round boxes for $11.50-12.00. Then you will have a starting point to compare other ammo.
Shoot straight , shoot often.

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 01:51:09 AM »
I agree with like2shoot you can not beat the Winchester varminter bulk pack from Walmart. Heck of a deal and they shoot great.

BBF
LETS GO STEELER'S. BIG BEN JUST KEEPS ON TICKEN. STEELER'S IN JACKSONVILLE THIS YEAR!

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2004, 03:27:56 AM »
After you try the Winchester Valu Pak ammo for a base line, try Varget with some 45 and 50 grain V Max bullets.  

My load is 27.5 grains of Varget, 50 grain V Max, Federal SR primers and either Lake City brass or Winchester Brass.

This is a MAX load and may not be safe in your rifle.  Reduce this load by 10% and work you way up slowly.

Let us know how it shoots.
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline winchester1

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2004, 03:12:19 PM »
Thanks guys for the replys,I'll be at Wal Mart this weekend so I'll give the Winchester ammo a try. As far as my hand loads go the only powder I have tried has been IMR4198,and my rifle didn't seem to like it! I've heard good things about BLC 2 and Varget in the 223 so I'll give that a try.This is always the fun part of a new rifle or barrel  :grin: Lots of time at the bench!-jeff

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2004, 03:25:37 PM »
Quote from: winchester1
I've heard good things about BLC 2 and Varget in the 223 so I'll give that a try.-jeff

Jeff,
  Your eletion at having our gun returned, can be felt on this end of your post!  :D  Along with the above mentioned powders, I've also used Benchmark with very good results.
Don

Offline winchester1

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2004, 10:17:43 AM »
Thank's Don for the reply-I've been away from the computer for a few weeks,work obligations,family obligations,etc. and It's good to be back on talking about  guns and things with friends.-jeff

Offline AZ223

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2004, 05:34:47 PM »
While you're out looking for ammo, try the UltraMax 40gr NBT, about $18 for 50 rounds. They're a little slower than the Value Pack, and shoot about 3/4" lower than the Winchesters at 100 & 200yds, and group just as well. I like them for when I don't need penetration; the bullets explode when they hit anything.
Life was so much simpler when I thought I knew everything...

Offline kirkman

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2004, 02:24:16 PM »
My 233 likes the wolf (Russian) ammo. I can drive tacks with it at 100 yards. It's cheep to.
A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person.
 (This is very important. Pay attention. It never fails.)