Author Topic: Old guy, current project  (Read 1411 times)

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Old guy, current project
« on: August 19, 2010, 09:19:13 PM »
I'm pretty much done with the muzzle end of this so I took it out of the lathe so I could turn it around and work on the breech end.

The bore is .703 for .69 cal shot.  Machined length is 8 1/2", muzzle diameter is 1.14", breech max diameter is 2 1/4"; finished length will be about 9.6".  Looks like there is a separation of flow about two inches from the breech end that will need a little more filing.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
Re: Old guy, current project
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 03:23:01 AM »
     Looks like a very nice effort, George.  I'm going way, way, way out on a limb here by guessing that if is to be a historical profile, then the proportions and numbers match up very closely to either a scale 20" Rodman Gun or a 20" Dahlgren Shell Gun.  But it kind of looks like you are running out of material to machine for a more traditional Dahlgren Cascabel, so I am favoring the Rodman, especially with the discontinuous comment about needing more filing which would bring it even closer to the continuous flow of the Rodman, Pressure Curve design profile.  And there is still room for a 'Mushroom Cascabel'.

Am I even close?

Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 07:11:07 AM »
IX/XI-inch Dahlgren ??
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 11:07:38 AM »
10" Rodman, 7% or so scale.  I can empathize with Phoenix Iron Company's complaint about the similar shape of the wrought iron rifle (not a straight line on the whole thing.)

10" Rodman from cwartillery/Robinson's battery as maintained by the Library of Congress archive
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 11:30:23 AM »
"Looks like there is a separation of flow about two inches from the breech end that will need a little more filing."

Someday I may learn to pay more attention to what people say, George. ;)
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline irishman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 07:01:20 PM »
George,

I can see that you fell in love with the curves. Beautiful job!

Michael

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 08:41:40 PM »
Maybe after I retire I will buy a CNC lathe; then these barrels will be pretty easy.  I can retire my lathe files, too.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline irishman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 07:27:08 AM »
George,

Be careful of them new fangled machines. They aren't "Historically" correct!

What you're using, requires that you add your soul, which you don't seem to have a shortage of.

Michael                   

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 09:17:48 AM »
George,
Wouldn't you miss all that 'hands on' time spent in creating the profile of a barrel the 'old school' way? ;)

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 09:28:18 AM »
I've done CNC milling projects (the programming is similar to my day job progamming, especially if you set up subroutines for repetitive processes) and I enjoy the programming and watching the machine run itself.  Mostly a question of money for the machine and a place to run it.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2022, 10:53:16 PM »
My how time marches on. But I am starting to do work on this project so I am restarting the thread.
GG
--Winston Churchill
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2022, 03:37:19 PM »

In my last trip to AZ, I did a little work on this, along with some tuning up of the lathe after its long siesta. Did the filing and roughed off most if the remaining excess material. Now to print out a machining plan.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2022, 04:42:59 PM »
I’ve never owned a cannon and never will but I find it interesting to watch others build them.
Please post pictures as you progress.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2022, 07:28:13 PM »
Please post pictures as you progress.

I will but progress will be intermittent.
GG
--Winston Churchill