Author Topic: Transitioning to alternative energy - Solar  (Read 364 times)

Offline Dixie-Dude

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Transitioning to alternative energy - Solar
« on: July 09, 2022, 05:36:27 AM »
Solar panels are the next thing about transitioning.  Solar is expensive in comparison to wind power.  It is great in the southwest and even in the deep south.  The problem with solar is it doesn't work at night.  So, it needs to be oversized to take excess power produced and store it.  Large battery banks are what is being used with large solar farms.  A cheaper method of storing is to have two large lakes, one above the other.  During the excess power production, water can be pumped from the lower lake to the upper lake.  At night, if power is needed, the lower lake runs generators to produce power draining back into the lower lake. 

The best way to use solar is during peek daytime air conditioning needs.  It would not be necessary to start up a large natural gas generator if solar can do it.  Walmart is currently installing solar panels on their roofs in the Southwest.  They can produce enough power to handle their air conditoning, coolers and freezer equipment, and still have enough power left over to cover 20-40 homes..  They eventually want to do this over all their stores.  If other grocery stores do this it would cut a lot of power needs from the grid.  I have a pet peeve about not installing solar panels over parking lots in shopping malls and other shopping places.  It could produce a lot of power. 

It has been estimated that a 100 mile by 100 mile solar farm in the Nevada desert could power the whole country.  It can't be transmitted that far.  Solar panels last about 30 years before they are either etched out from wind erossion or cracked by hale storms or such.   Older panels produce about 20% power vs the amount of sunlight it receives.  Newer panels being developed can produce up to 30% power.  Another problems is power companies and private property that has to be worked out with solar. 
Opelika Portal

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
Re: Transitioning to alternative energy - Solar
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022, 05:41:52 AM »
On our last trip to Florida we saw a lot of solar farms there and a few in Georgia.
So it's growing.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline O-mega

• Quite Professional
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2022, 06:43:11 AM »
Solar is only good to stay off the grid, if you have access to city or county power, then it will never pay for itself. 
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~

Offline DDZ

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2022, 08:27:31 AM »
Nothing is better than fossil fuels. That is unless you believe that global warming is contributed to humans burning fossil fuels.  Wind and solar power are far more expensive alternatives to fossil fuels. Thats why Coal, oil, and gas became our choice of energy in the first place.  the only reason solar and wind power is even around is because government has subsidized it with tax payer dollars. 
 Under the Biden regime, we are getting only a foretaste of a green future. The high costs of gasoline, heating oil, and electricity; the high prices of everything else; the food shortages; and economic recessions will all be permanent features of a green America.  The phase-out of air travel is already underway.   Cheap energy supports a higher population, and that is what environmentalist don't want, because they see people as a threat to the landscape. So part of the green energy plan is population reduction.  Its why California has fought every new water project even desalination plants.  Without ample water, there will be less people. That is a given.  The green energy movement will return this country to the dark ages.
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2022, 10:15:50 AM »
From O-mega:
Solar is only good to stay off the grid, if you have access to city or county power, then it will never pay for itself.
We installed an eight kilowatt system in 2018. Sold our home in late 2021. Our total cost was about $13,500 after the federal tax credit. It survived a 2" hail storm that totaled our house roof. Our electric bill went from an average of $250 a month to $48. So that is a savings of about $2,400 a year. Will pay for itself in seven years. It also seemed to be a very helpful sale point when we sold the house. This was in central Kansas.
The electronics are warrantied for 10 years the panels to produce 80%+ for 20 years. Looks like it pays for itself pretty quick.
GuzziJohn
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2022, 10:38:55 AM »
From O-mega:
We installed an eight kilowatt system in 2018. Sold our home in late 2021. Our total cost was about $13,500 after the federal tax credit. It survived a 2" hail storm that totaled our house roof. Our electric bill went from an average of $250 a month to $48. So that is a savings of about $2,400 a year. Will pay for itself in seven years. It also seemed to be a very helpful sale point when we sold the house. This was in central Kansas.
The electronics are warrantied for 10 years the panels to produce 80%+ for 20 years. Looks like it pays for itself pretty quick.
GuzziJohn

For some reason I don't believe you.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Dixie-Dude

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2022, 11:15:40 AM »
Solar has gotten cheaper.  Panels are cheaper.  When I talked of solar, it was for commercial customers and power companies to install.  I still think they are great for peek demand summer use for air conditioning in the south.  Power bills to cool are very high in summer in the deep south.  Solar for summer especially, would cut way back on coal or natural gas.  Most home owners can't afford solar panels, so I am not going there.  They might could if they were figured into the cost of a new home mortgage since they last 25-30 years or longer.

I will be getting to other alternatives and why we will still need fossil fuels even if all electricity comes from solar, wind, nuclear, hydro, bio mass or other.   
Opelika Portal

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2022, 02:08:18 PM »
From billy_56081:
Shrug. Your loss my gain.
GuzziJohn.
Dumb Dumb x 1 View List

Offline phalanx

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2022, 05:57:17 AM »
From billy_56081:

Shrug. Your loss my gain.
GuzziJohn.

In what way? I feel like the man explained himself very well. You like to think you are talking way over our heads.
On subjects we already know about without your help.
In this time i Command ,That you take the Secular to Jerusalem .
There you rid the Holy City of the Scourge of Islam , Make the streets run red with the Blood of those who wish to wash Israel and Christianity from the face of the Earth.
Constantine III
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline nw_hunter

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2022, 02:13:04 PM »
Some people just like to stir up trouble. Billy appears to be one of those!
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.