Author Topic: Magnum accuracy in a Maximum  (Read 834 times)

Offline vick

• Trade Count: (0)
Magnum accuracy in a Maximum
« on: March 20, 2004, 08:07:48 AM »
Hey guys, first time posting here, but great to see a new spot since the fall of the old site.
Have a dilema.  A local gun shop has both a 357 mag and max available.  What kind of accuracy can I expect from these?  Can I shoot mag's in a max ( kinda like 38's in a mag ) without accuracy suffering?  I really want one of these rifles, but i've heard the stories about long throats ruining accuracy in the mag.  OR would I be better off with one of the Rossi rifles in mag?  They have a few of those too.
Fear is but a stepping stone on the foot path to Glory.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2004, 10:42:55 AM »
vick, I don't have either so I cannot help you, I do however have a .357 Mag barrel on order. How much is that shop asking for each and how are they set up for stocks? Are each new? They have not made the max for quite a while....How many do they have of each? Thanks....<><.... :grin: ( In a max you can shoot all 3, .38 Special, ,357 Mag and .357 Max., I have wondered myself if boring out a .357 Mag to a Max would harm the accuracy of .38 Specials or .357 Mags. I have many of each and would like to be able to shoot them accurately
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline vick

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2004, 05:01:19 PM »
I've not been to examine the rifles yet.  I was calling around today and happened up on these.  The shop isn't one of my favoites to deal with, but they are the only one around with the rifles.  The Rossi's were going for $150, the mag was new for $240, and the max was used for $190.  I'm hoping to find one somewhere else, but I really want the mag.  I was just trying to decide if the max would be worth grabbing.  I don't handload, but the extra power would be nice to hunt with if mag accuracy is the same either way.

Offline JPH45

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2004, 06:39:04 PM »
Some have said that rechambering their Mag to Max did infact improve the shooting with magnums. If you reload, which you would have to in order to use the Maximum,  then you should be able to find a load which would work well regardless of which case you were using. It would be interesting to know if the Maximum is a rechamber or a factory barrel. H&R, not NEF did make a few 357 Maximums in the '90's when factory ammo was still available. A factory gun would have a better value in a resale or to a collector, as well as would probably not be plagued with the crappy microgroove rifling of the NEF 357 Magnum issue rifles. A tough choice I am sure, best of luck.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2004, 02:58:24 AM »
Thanks vick, keep us informed. I have handled Rossi's and in fact had a dealer try to sell me one when he did not have the Handi in stock that I wanted. I would not buy a Rossi if I could get a Handi. Handi's seem to be made much better after close up inspection. I also think the Handi's feel better in your hands, important to me. Made in America and the 100% warranty/gaurentee from the factory, and as close as your mailbox, is important also. No matter what horror stories we may have heard about Handi's, the factory has ALWAYS made them right AT NO COST, even if it meant a new barrel, stock, forearm or whatever. Added barrels fitted for free is great also. Remember an option, as I posted 2 days ago, the factory still has a very limited number of .357 Mag barrels available ($81.00?) so if you have a Handi now you could send it in( just an option). If you don't have one you could buy the cheapest used one you could find (SB2)  and QUICKLY send it for a .357 Barrel, you might end up with 2 for the price of what you would have to pay for one. That said the .357 Max sounds good if it is an original and he comes down in price a bit. I saw a .357 Max in about 96% with a Laminated camo stock last year at Kittery Trading Post in Maine for $150.00, of course life being what it it I thought about it and it was gone when I went back!!! And buy the way, I like the Micro-Groove barrels for jacketed bullets, it is by far the most accurate for them!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline bubba

• Trade Count: (62)
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2004, 03:14:03 AM »
I owned one Rossi 243/50 cal combo. The key word is owned. Poorly built and customer service was horrible. It was missing the foreend screw for the 243. It took me almost 3 months and threatening with the better business bureau to get one. Parts are horrible. When I did get the parts it shot ok but I was just not impressed.
”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2004, 10:34:27 AM »
.357 mag and .38 Specials give good accuracy in most Maxed barrels. I shoot mostly .38 Specials in mine and get 50 yard groups in the 1"-2" range, depending on the exact load. Only drawback I have noted is that I do have to scrub the chamber before going from a shorter to a longer case. Don't even have to do that if I have fired just a few shots of the shorter case, but I usually shoot at least a hundred shots a sesson and that will put a fouling ring just in front of the case mouth that will cause the longer case to stick.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2004, 02:21:21 PM »
At fifty yards I can't tell the diffrence between the two. I have'nt shot any .38s outta the Max but my Mag shoots them just fine, My Magnum also shoots very well the long throat isn't always a problem.
 $240 is kinda high I only paid $212 for mine, But they have been dropped so they will get harder to come by soon. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline vick

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2004, 05:44:00 AM »
Thanks everybody.  Sounds like if the max is factory, that will be the way to go.  If not, I think I'm going with the mag.  I'm just not sure who did the work, or how well it's done.  I'll let everybody know how it turns out.  Thanks for all the help.