Author Topic: Things needed for self sufficiency  (Read 1137 times)

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
Things needed for self sufficiency
« on: June 07, 2022, 12:39:32 PM »
Things for growing and raising
your own food
Things for processing and preserving
your own food
Things for transporting yourself
and loved ones
Things for defending yourself and
loved ones and your property
and possessions
Things for maintaining and
repairing your dwelling

Haven't seen any shortages of
video games or smartphones
or expensive distractions of
any kind
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline gene_225

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Things needed for self sufficiency
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2022, 03:21:28 PM »
Things to calculate with that don't require electricity (that includes no batteries).
Things to convey information to others including ones successors (your kids).
Books to learn from.

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2022, 03:51:39 PM »
Sorry
Meant also include that these
are things that are coincidentally
becoming scarce when they
are usually readily available and
accessible
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2022, 04:10:45 PM »
We have a bunch of water, I’d have to go around and count our 5 gallon buckets of food (Home Depot bucket lids with rubber seals) a generator, several 20lb propane cylinders, roughly 30, 1lb cylinders, propane camp stove, toilet plan for if we lost water pressure, lime for toilet plan:) battery/crank/solar am/fm shortwave radio, a jillion aa and aaa batteries, sleeping bags, quilts, blankets, OTC meds, extra eye glasses and that’s not all.
But you get the idea.
We’ve been gathering this stuff for more than 2 years.

So, we are all set unless a gang comes by and takes it.:)
However, it’ll cost them dearly.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2022, 12:43:40 AM »
there are some that acquire all of these things but leave the most important out. Firearms and ammo. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU CAN BUY. Without them people can take what you have and with them all the other things can be acquired. It sure helps to have all the other things. Especially food and water so you can stay home which is much safer. Im set on water. I can slap my hand pump on my shallow water point and have all water i need but to grow food enough to survive you need quite a bit of land and tools to do it and if your going to do all the work with handtools it kind of counts me out. No way i could create and maintain enough of a garden to survive up here in the north with short growing seasons. Meat? With all the people heading here to get out of the citys i fear the meat in the woods would be gone in a year. Lots of fish here but how long would that last if it was long term and you still have to come ashore with it and avoid having it taken from you. Add to that i aint rowing no boat out where the fish are on Lake Superior!  Heating? Again this old codger couldnt wield even a chain saw to put up enough wood let alone a man powered saw or ax. So this guy would have to rely on the tool im best with and thats a gun. Even if your not talking shtf and just self sufficiency this guy is just to old to pretend i could do it. I need my electricity and propane gasoline, chain saw and power tools and a grocery store!!! So for me what would it take to be self sufficient? The body i had when i was in my 30s!! I think thats true for most of us. .
We have a bunch of water, I’d have to go around and count our 5 gallon buckets of food (Home Depot bucket lids with rubber seals) a generator, several 20lb propane cylinders, roughly 30, 1lb cylinders, propane camp stove, toilet plan for if we lost water pressure, lime for toilet plan:) battery/crank/solar am/fm shortwave radio, a jillion aa and aaa batteries, sleeping bags, quilts, blankets, OTC meds, extra eye glasses and that’s not all.
But you get the idea.

blue lives matter

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2022, 04:05:16 AM »
there are some that acquire all of these things but leave the most important out. Firearms and ammo. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU CAN BUY. Without them people can take what you have and with them all the other things can be acquired. It sure helps to have all the other things. Especially food and water so you can stay home which is much safer. Im set on water. I can slap my hand pump on my shallow water point and have all water i need but to grow food enough to survive you need quite a bit of land and tools to do it and if your going to do all the work with handtools it kind of counts me out. No way i could create and maintain enough of a garden to survive up here in the north with short growing seasons. Meat? With all the people heading here to get out of the citys i fear the meat in the woods would be gone in a year. Lots of fish here but how long would that last if it was long term and you still have to come ashore with it and avoid having it taken from you. Add to that i aint rowing no boat out where the fish are on Lake Superior!  Heating? Again this old codger couldnt wield even a chain saw to put up enough wood let alone a man powered saw or ax. So this guy would have to rely on the tool im best with and thats a gun. Even if your not talking shtf and just self sufficiency this guy is just to old to pretend i could do it. I need my electricity and propane gasoline, chain saw and power tools and a grocery store!!! So for me what would it take to be self sufficient? The body i had when i was in my 30s!! I think thats true for most of us. .
But you get the idea.

I don't have ARs but we each have a 10/22, a brick house which we've kinda hardened with shatter proof storm doors and windows, roughly 12,000 rounds for the 10/22s and several extended magazines.  We bought the good magazines from Ruger.
The window costs wasn't too bad but the three storm doors was about $1200  :o
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2022, 03:53:48 PM »
Quote from: BUGEYE link=topic=295335.msg1099807913#msg1099807913
[/quote
I don't have ARs but we each have a 10/22, a brick house which we've kinda hardened with shatter proof storm doors and windows, roughly 12,000 rounds for the 10/22s and several extended magazines.  We bought the good magazines from Ruger.

That will probably be sufficient
Many don't figure that unless you're
in the middle of a like minded
armed trained community, you're
not going to survive any firefights.
Police and military have the advantage
of calling for backup and relief.
Civilians are going to be pretty much
on their own, and all the looters/vandals/
home invaders have to do is to burn
you out or wait you out. After all this
antifa/blm type stuff, everybody should
be aware that the new breed will kill
just for the thrill of it and for spite.
It's not always a case of trying to get
your goods.  If a bunch of invaders
try to breach your home space and
you kill one or two, you may as well
put your next one in your head because
they'll lay siege and cut you and any
loved ones up into spaghetti and it
likely won't be quick
If you're hiding out in the bushes down
in the creek bottom,  you'll have a
50% chance they'll move along and
look for a well stocked place down the
road
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2022, 01:06:06 AM »
guess my post was aimed more at dealing with civilains. If theres a war or complete breakdown in this country the military and police will be way to busy to have the time to come fight you. What you will have to defend against is others wanting your food. Mostly untrained people and probably unorganized. None will have rpg's or tanks. best defense is probably stay home. Dont go around bragging that your prepared or you have 2 years worth of food. Im in a bit better shape then some because i dont live in a neighborhood or main road. I live at the end of a dead end road. Most people are going to drive on by and not even turn down here hoping for a more populated area with more and easier pickings.

That said even with what i have im the first to admit that one person insnt a match for 10 or 20 under any circumstance. Big thing people dont factor in is pucker factor. Many have never been shot at or had to defend themselves and dont have a clue how they will actually react when it happens. You can talk the talk but few can walk the walk and that includes those people coming for you. they arent going to face gunfire when they can pick easier targets. Talk can be cheap if youve never had a bullet fly by your head.

Ive been through a bit of survival training and learned one thing. Surviving isnt romantic or fun. Its near impossible to stay alive in the woods. Especially on your own and especially up north where you face below zero temps. Grow your own food? You better have it going right now because if not youll starve to death waiting. Shoot wild game? that will be gone in a few months because everyone will be doing it. Most of us here are old. Probably not a one of us could survive in the woods for more then a month. So i guess ill stay home and at least be fairly comfortable till the end. I know theres no way in hell today that i could even get through the training i did when young. Not a chance in hell.

Heck this time of year up here the mosquitoes would probably kill you in a month living in the woods. Or drive you so nuts youd put the gun to your own head. city yuppies would last 2 weeks up here. Probably not 3 days in the winter. All that said like i said before i dont see a time when in a rural area your ever going to face organized police or military. They will be kept plenty busy in the citys. National guard? Pelosi will have every single one of them in DC. Local cops? I know them and some are even friends and if they come it will be to move in not to shoot me. So what do "I" need for self sufficiency? A time machine to put me back about 30 years. 
Quote from: BUGEYE link=topic=295335.msg1099807913#msg1099807913
[/quote

That will probably be sufficient
Many don't figure that unless you're
in the middle of a like minded
armed trained community, you're
not going to survive any firefights.
Police and military have the advantage
of calling for backup and relief.
Civilians are going to be pretty much
on their own, and all the looters/vandals/
home invaders have to do is to burn
you out or wait you out. After all this
antifa/blm type stuff, everybody should
be aware that the new breed will kill
just for the thrill of it and for spite.
It's not always a case of trying to get
your goods.  If a bunch of invaders
try to breach your home space and
you kill one or two, you may as well
put your next one in your head because
they'll lay siege and cut you and any
loved ones up into spaghetti and it
likely won't be quick
If you're hiding out in the bushes down
in the creek bottom,  you'll have a
50% chance they'll move along and
look for a well stocked place down the