Author Topic: Quora Digest (its another forum) 5.56 ammo  (Read 444 times)

Offline phalanx

• Trade Count: (0)
Quora Digest (its another forum) 5.56 ammo
« on: November 16, 2022, 04:48:53 AM »
But sometimes i visit it, they come up with some interesting stuff.

Biden requests Winchester to stop selling 5.56 ammo to American citizens?
 https://americanmilitarynews.com/2022/06/reports-biden-admin-orders-ammo-maker-to-stop-selling-5-56-rounds-to-americans/
This has been a goal for quite sometime and red flags have been waving in plain site. DHS over last decade has stockpiled over 2.6 billion rounds of 5.56 to keep them out of civilian hands. 20+ year money war contracts have devoted much 5.56 ammo to the military. President Pudd'nhead left 3/4 million M16 M4 weapons and 10s of millions if not 100s of 5.56 rounds to the Taliban and ISIS. And the kicker, the adoption of the 6.8 to be manufactured for the US woke Military. This will require tooling up for 6.8 ammo thus decreasing 5.56 ammo production for civilian usage. Tyranny is alive and well and heavily funded by you and me.
In this time i Command ,That you take the Secular to Jerusalem .
There you rid the Holy City of the Scourge of Islam , Make the streets run red with the Blood of those who wish to wash Israel and Christianity from the face of the Earth.
Constantine III

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Re: Quora Digest (its another forum) 5.56 ammo
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2022, 05:35:02 AM »
  Let's call a spade..a spade..
    A)  We have an administration that plans on going Communist 
    B) The administration /buys more guns and ammo for non~military use. 
    C) If we are faced with a situation as described in Federalist Paper#49, the ARs would play a key role. 
    D) It has been said that the administration wants to take our guns, because they plan on doing something to us ..that we
         would want to shoot them for.
    E) The administration hires 87,000 more IRS agents..and suggests they will be armed, and willing to shoot.

Go figure.....

If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2022, 09:54:00 AM »
its ok. Im wading through a 5 gallon pail full of 556 brass right now. Got them all sized swaged and primed. tommarow i start filling them. Havent kept up on my stash for the last couple years and its time to replenish. Probably down to 5k right now and i usually never get that dry. Next is 9s then 40s. Going to load every piece of brass in the house this winter. 
blue lives matter

Offline phalanx

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2022, 10:13:19 AM »
male link=topic=296615.msg1099819448#msg1099819448 date=1668632040]
its ok. Im wading through a 5 gallon pail full of 556 brass right now. Got them all sized swaged and primed. tommarow i start filling them. Havent kept up on my stash for the last couple years and its time to replenish. Probably down to 5k right now and i usually never get that dry. Next is 9s then 40s. Going to load every piece of brass in the house this winter.
[/quote]

:) Good to hear .
There you rid the Holy City of the Scourge of Islam , Make the streets run red with the Blood of those who wish to wash Israel and Christianity from the face of the Earth.
Constantine III

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2022, 12:07:10 PM »
The story in the OP is only partially true and actually quite old. It was several months ago when Biden was trying to get Winchester to stop selling 5.56 ammo made in the Lake City ammo plant. Winchester currently has the contract to run Lake City, Federal had it before them.

Winchester explained that they really can't do that. They must sell excess production capacity to civilians in order to maintain the staff and equipment needed to ramp up production for the government in time of need. The whole thing blew over with no change.

Currently 5.56 ammo is plentiful, not cheap by any means but nothing gun related is these days. You can buy it by the case of 1000 rounds and if ya want buy multiple cases if you have that kinda money laying around.

I get sales e-mails daily offering to sell Lake City, Federal, Winchester, Remington and another dozen names I mostly associate with offshore companies but much of it these days made here in the US.

Now try finding primers and if you do find them you can't afford them.

Back in the winter of 2015-2016 I started loading in late fall and didn't finish until around February. I loaded up about all the brass and most all the bullets and primers I had. I emptied a lot of powder cans. I wound up loading 15,000 rounds. At the rate I shoot these days I have several life times of ammo left. But then at the rate I shoot these days a brick of .22LR would likely be a life time supply for me.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2022, 01:04:04 PM »
  Why Winchester?  Winchester isn't the only one producing such ammo.  Yes, Winchester may be running the Army's plant at Lake City
    at this time, but I doubt they are alone in such production.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2022, 05:21:18 PM »
The government owns Lake City ammo plant. They contract with ammo makers to run it for them for a period of a few years at a time then bid the contract out again. Currently Winchester has the contract, as I said before them it was Federal.

Biden wanted them to stop making and selling ammo at that plant for civilians. I explained above why Winchester told the government no.

He had no authority to tell them that, was just hoping he could twist their arm into doing so. Without civilian sells they'd have to lay off half the work force and would not be able to scale back up for a war time effort.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dixie-Dude

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2022, 05:48:12 PM »
Since the ammo shortage started a couple of years ago, several things have happened that are actually good.

Remington finally finished bankruptcy, and divided up.  The company that owns Federal, bought the Remington ammo rights.  Remington ammo has started showing up just about everywhere now.

Fiocci, an Italian ammo company, is building or has finished building an ammo plant in Arkansas.

Beretta-Benelli, another Italian company, bought up Norma ammo company, and is building a factory to make ammo for the American market in Savanah, Georgia.  I think Norma was a Swedish company. 

Anyway, the existing American ammo companies are running 24-7 to keep up production and it is starting to show up. 

The Bidet administration, I think stopped the import of ammo, thus the ammo companies building in America. 

Since 2020, there are around 20 million NEW gun owners adding to the ammo demand.  Many are women, and some are liberals. 

Survivalists, preppers, and active shooters still buy a lot of ammo, even at the higher prices.  Prices will never come down to the pre-2020 levels due to inflation alone as well as the supply/demand problems.  Obumer closed the last remaining lead producing plant in Missouri when he was in office due to "environmental" reasons.  So, we import lead now. 

So, buy when you can, shoot less, and store more than you shoot.  Get a green laser bore sighter, that you can see on the target at 100 yards to sight in your rifles to save ammo.  I have a couple of sons that I went shooting sporting clays, skeet, and trap with at least 3-4 times a year.  We shot about a case of shotgun shells each, every time we went to shoot.  That is about 24-36 cases of #8 or #7.5 shot.  This was ok when it was $50 a case at Walmart.  Now it is over $100 a case.  Cut our shooting out, during covid for about 2 years.  Now with inflation, high food and energy prices, it is hard to go shooting anymore.  Even 22's are high, but they are available. 

Even bow hunting is expensive, especially to target practice with arrows at $5-10 or more each.  If you lose or damage one with target practice, it is expensive.

Might get into trapping.  Cheaper, quieter, but you can't legally snare a deer in most states.  But, squirrels, rabbits, you can. 
Opelika Portal

Offline darkgael

• Trade Count: (1)
  • The readiness is all. 4049 posts from the “old” gb
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2022, 11:54:33 PM »
Years ago it was obvious where prices and availability were headed. I took a number of steps back then to insure that I would be able to shoot and to hunt. I expanded my bullet casting inventory. I scrounged and stocked up on lead and alloys. I stovk d up on BP. And I stocked up on the ingredients needed to make the stuff. I stocked up on percussion caps for my BP firearms . Nowadays caps are ever more difficult to find. Flintlocks rule.
I stocked up on reloading components for my smokeless cartridges and shot shells. I make my own shot. I invested in big bore air rifles an the support equipment needed to shoot them.
At this point, I have no pressing need to buy anything.
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline darkgael

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2022, 01:17:26 AM »
Lloyd: if you don’t mind…what propellant are you using and what bullet for the 5.56?

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2022, 09:14:08 AM »
aa2230. bought 6 8lb jugs a couple years back. For bullets just generic 55 ball from rocky mountain bullet co. Just blasting ammo. I keep about a 1000 loaded with 60 grain balistic tips and another 500 loaded with 60 grain partitions. That ammo i usually dont touch.
blue lives matter

Offline darkgael

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2022, 12:12:04 AM »
Thank you.

Offline phalanx

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2022, 05:32:32 AM »
I have two Henry rifles, One is a 22LR the other 357/38. I hope they don't stop making the ammo. I’ve got a good supply of it and reloading supply’s but i still don't want to be without.
Constantine III