Author Topic: Ejector work  (Read 1285 times)

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Ejector work
« on: March 11, 2004, 04:43:51 PM »
Does anyone remember where the info was on taking apart the ejector and de-burring it?  I'm not sure if it was on the old forum or not.  Would like to do some work on mine if I could have a little pictoral guidance.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline raynor

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Ejector work
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 12:14:04 AM »
You only have to drive out the 1 small roll pin, the one that's closest to the breech end. The ejector should then slide out, might even pop out. Just make sure the spring doesn't fly across the room, and watch your eyes. ~~ SV

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Ejector work
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 02:49:21 AM »
Since you guys are talking about ejectors this is a question that I have to have answered. Which stock H&R ejector, if any, will work on a .357 Handi barrel that is reamed out to .35 Remington? Also would it be better to use a solid or floating pilot reamer and what other work would be necessary to convert from the .357 ejecter to the new (.308, 30/06, .270, or .280) ejector, would it be a drop in job for the ejector???  If a stock H&R ejector would not work (those I mentioned all look pretty close to the .35 Remington in dimensions) how difficult is to to make a proper ejector and has anyone here ever done it or had it done? Thanks....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline marv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Ejector work
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 05:13:09 AM »
MSP Ret
 My work With recamber I could Not cut the ejector with reamer,
I  recambered 22 Horrnet to 219 Zipper, A gunsmith cut the ejector
with a moto tool. I think That you need to get a rim less ejoctor for
the 35 rim. You prob need to talk to some one more up on taking
a rim cartiage to a rimless, MHO is go to 357 Maximum rather
than 35 rem. Good Luck  Let us know how it turns out. Marv.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
Ejector work
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2004, 08:36:34 AM »
Thanks Marv, just in the planning stage now but my idea was to remove the ejector, rechamber with the .35 Remington reamer then reinstall an ejector for the rimless cartridge that most closely fits the .35 Remington dimensions. I have looked up the different spec's and the .308, 30-06, .270 Winchester and .280 all are quite close, within a few thousands of the .35  Remington shell measurements. Just a plan, hope it comes together, hoping someone out there has some info on which ejector will work or even if the ejector replacement plan is viable....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
Ejector work
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2004, 10:19:01 AM »
MSP
Not trying to talk you out of the 35 but consider the 356 Winchester.  It is a rimmed 308 case necked up to 35 cal.  Easier to eject and more power.  I haven't hunted (at least haven't killed with it) with the 35 Rem, I did own one in the Marlin 336.  

All I have read and seen tells me its a good deer and black bear round to about 200yds.  The 356 will do all that and more, plus will take elk to 200yds, from what I've read.  Or even go the 358 Win which is a 308 case necked up.

Either of these have ejectors that will easily work.  For the 356 use a 30-30 ejector and for the 358 use a 308 ejector.

Just a suggestion.  If I ever get a 357 barrel, it will be reamed to 356 Win.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
Ejector work
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2004, 11:20:52 AM »
:D , Thanks for the input handirifle, the .358 sounds interesting, the .356 leaves me cold, it may be a good cartridge but it lacks feeling and "character" the way I look at it. I have a .35 Remington Marlin 336SC which has killed it's share of deer for we as well as my personal best deer, a perfect 8 point dressed 201 lb Maine deer. The .35 Remington caliber sort of fits and old guy like me, been there, done that, and always completed the job it was asked to do, no fanfare, just do what it was asked, no complaints, no failures...Of course as far as a rimmed shell I would love to see a Handi Barrel the correct diameter to rechamber to my old-old favorite, .348 Winchester. My Model 71 Winchester Deluxe in .348 got cleaned and hung up when it's value skyrocketed and I did not feel comfortable out in the snow, rain, swamps and thick stuff with it. That is where the Marlin 336SC in .35 Remington came into the picture. The .35 Remington is really a great woods cartridge, others may be better but the .35 Remington gets the job done and gets it done every time...besides it's old and I like it....<><....  :grin:

Offline BIG JAKE

• Avid Poster
Ejector work
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2004, 07:51:28 AM »
MSP Ret don't knock the 356 it's a great round. It'll do every thing the 35 Rem will and more. I have one and love it. I like the 35 it's been around a long time and proven itself time and time again, but the 356 will give you  the extended range with the added power with the same weight bullet. As for character winchester tried to discontinue ammo for it because of lack of character but they quickly reconsidered. Just my thoughts.
squeeze it, don't pull it!!!!

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
Ejector work
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2004, 08:50:11 AM »
I recently shot a friend's 35 Remington Levergun.  We got out the chrono and compared that to what we were getting out of our 357 Rem Max loads.  The only real differece was felt in our shoulders... that levergun thumps pretty good compared to the Max.  If you reload, I'd recommend going to the Max, no extractor change needed and it's more pleasant to shoot.

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
Ejector work
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2004, 10:05:08 AM »
I got an honest 2050fps from my Marlin 35 Rem with Rem 200gr factory fodder.

The 356 or even better, the 358 will give you another 300-500fps over that.  They are a lot more cartridge than either the 35 Rem or 357Max.  But as he said, in the woods, the 35 still does its job.

In my mind it is like a heavyweight 30-30.  Just as reliable and dependable.  It'll get it done.  If it were me, I'd still go for the 356.  More capacity, rimmed case and plenty of power when reloaded correctly.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
Ejector work
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2004, 11:55:22 AM »
I did not mean to sound as if I were knocking the .356, I do like the fact that it is a rimmed cartridge and would work fine in a Handi, it's just that for some reason it never appealed to ME. It sounds great, it just does not appeal to ME, don't know why either, can't figure it out, it could just be the name, .356?  The name does not appeal to me but from what you guys say it sounds like it works, its just that I don't like it...I may try the .357 Mag/Max though, if the energy and velocity is close to the .35 Remington it may be a fine woods rifle...The .35 Remington does not shine in any one aspect, it's just that all together it gets the job done with no failings...Others may be faster, others may be more powerful, others may drop less over distance, others may hold onto their energy longer, it's just that the .35 Remington works, as far as it being a "thumper" it never bothered me and if you had not mentioned it I would not have even thought of it as a caliber that "kicks",  the fact that it has a history with me also helps, and if I ever needed more power than a 200 grain .35 Remington I could go to my 45/70!!!....<><.... :lol:

Offline BIG JAKE

• Avid Poster
Ejector work
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2004, 01:31:36 PM »
MSP Ret it's like comparing a Nova to a Riviera they'll both get you there but one does it a little nicer.
squeeze it, don't pull it!!!!