Author Topic: 30-06 on the way!!  (Read 1260 times)

Offline 10ga.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
30-06 on the way!!
« on: March 13, 2004, 05:08:21 PM »
Stopped by Walmart yesterday to check on the Handi inventory. As usual none in the display case, so I got them to call Sports South to see what was in stock. They had 5 synthetic 30-06 on hand so I grabbed one up and put it on layaway, $222.00 out the door, not bad IMO. I plan on paying it off as soon as it gets in so I should be shooting soon :gun4:  This is the second experience I've had with ordering guns through W/Mart. The first was my 10ga two years ago which went smooth with no problems, lets hope this one is the same way. The guy behind the gun counter seemed familiar with guns(we didn't talk about it but I'd bet he was a gun owner).
I haven't seen much written on this site about the 30-06 in the Handi. Anyone have any experience with these? I'll be shooting only factory ammo for now, maybe reloads in the future, depends on the $$ :lol:  :lol:
Paul Corbett
NEF 10ga SB2-MAB 
Handi-Rifle 30-06 Synthetic
H&R 12ga SB2-980 Ultra Slug
S&W .357 Model 586
"Peace Through Superior Firepower"

Offline nipprdog

• Avid Poster
30-06 on the way!!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2004, 12:12:54 AM »
congrats on the new rifle!

I shoot the winchester superX 150 gr soft point from wallyworld, $11.

here's a target showing the first 3 shots one morning. 100yd/10-15mph crosswind.

I put a Simmons Aetec 2.8x10x44 on mine.  $140
clear, sharp, aaaannnnd...5" eye relief! :grin:  :grin:

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
30-06 on the way!!
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2004, 02:36:52 AM »
10 ga.---Congrats on that Handi. I have had good success ordering thru Wal-Mart myself, have a Huntsman on layaway there now. The guys for the most part know their stuff pretty good in the one here, we even have an x-FFL behind the counter. Let us know how you do with that 30/06. I'm already thinking about it or the 26" .280 as my next barrel on the Ultra I just purchased. Man I love these guns!  :blaster:
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
30-06 on the way!!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 01:16:32 PM »
10ga

I recently sold my NEF .30-06, not because it wasn't a good rifle but because I had the hots for used Marlin and couldn't afford to have both.  I found that it was somewhat fussy as to what I fed it, but I got it down to 1.8" groups at 100 yards.  That was with a blade front sight and Williams WGRS peep on the back.  Handloads are really the way to go with the NEF so you can tailor the load to the rifle.  I brought home three deer with it several years ago, with 150 gr. Hornady bullets over 4064 powder.

If you don't have the room for a loading bench, or the bucks for a fancy reloading outfit, I suggest the Lee hand press, a set of Lee dies, a Lee priming tool and a powder scale.  Look on E-bay.  Oh, and get a good loading manual.  I just totaled these up from my Midsouth Shooters catalog and came to $77 + shipping, thinking you can pull the loading data from the powder manufacturer's web sight.  That gives you all new equipment and will get you started on another aspect of shooting... It also will save you money in the long run.

Take care,
-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline 10ga.

• Avid Poster
30-06 on the way!!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 04:25:42 PM »
Thanks for the info guys!!
Counting down the days til it gets here.
Paul Corbett
NEF 10ga SB2-MAB 
Handi-Rifle 30-06 Synthetic
H&R 12ga SB2-980 Ultra Slug
S&W .357 Model 586
"Peace Through Superior Firepower"

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
30-06 on the way!!
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2004, 04:28:50 PM »
I hope to add a 30-06 barrel to my Ultra this summer.  use it as a back-up gun for Elk this fall.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
30-06 on the way!!
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2004, 09:34:09 AM »
I was at Scheels yesterday and they had a 30-06 with the Comp on it and the green and brown laminated stock. What a sharp looking gun. I have the 26 inch 280. I Love that rifle. I took a good mule deer with it last season shooting the 120 grain Sierra Pro Hunter bullets. I loaded them to 2950 fps. That little Lee hand press works like a charm. I have had one for years. Its a little slow but it loads good ammo and the whole setup fits in a shoe box.
shot placement is everything.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
30-06 on the way!!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2004, 05:10:33 PM »
If anyone here receives the NRA magazine American Hunter there is a nice article by one of the writers that goes to Argentina on a Red Stag hunt.  Guess what gun he takes with him?  A 30.06 H&R Handi Rifle...He claims he was getting good killing groups out to 300 yards.  Good article...Makes me proud to be an owner of a H&R guns...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense