Author Topic: Bersa 380  (Read 644 times)

Offline foxcaller

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
  • Avid Poster
Bersa 380
« on: March 09, 2004, 03:20:56 PM »
Thinking about picking one of these up for wife to use when I'm out of town. Any body have any experience with this pistol? Thanks

Offline Jerry Lester

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Bersa 380
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 08:08:50 PM »
A friend of mine bought the Bersa Firestorm 380. It shoots good, and functions great with a variety of ammo. I liked it so good, I went and bought the Bersa Thunder 380. It also shoots great with a variety of loads. From my limited experience with them, I think they're an exellent buy for the money.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Bersa 380s
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 04:23:41 AM »
foxcaller:  Jerry Lester's experience mirrors those of a number of other posters who responded to similar questions about the Bersas.  They are reliable, functional and accurate pieces that are easy to use.  A number of the fellas who asked about them have gone and purchased two - one for themselves and the other for their wives.  Haven't heard any complaints about them yet.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline foxcaller

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
bersa
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2004, 05:21:40 PM »
Well, I went ahead and picked one up today. I am really intrigued by this little pistol and can't wait to try it out. I got the regular blued version.

Offline markc

Love em'
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2004, 02:57:02 AM »
Shout our dept's qualification course with one in Feb, 2nd year I've carried one as an off duty weapon.  Another guy there had one that he has carried for more than 10 years.  It still looked good, and functioned fine, just as my much newer one does.   I have recommended them to a number of people.  They are fine little pistols and the cost is nice and low too.
markc
markc

Offline oldhunter

• Avid Poster
Bersa 380
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2004, 02:58:18 PM »
Have owned one for about 15 years and consider it to be an excellent  gun.  Very dependable and seems to take all types of different ammo without a problem.  Well made and priced reasonable.  Only drawback is my wife can't rack the slide so she carries her 2" snub .38.

Offline Carwi

• http://home.carolina.rr.com/carwi
Bersa 380
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2004, 02:19:58 AM »
The Bersa 380 is a fantastic buy!  Got one for the wife for concealed carry and she loves it.  It didn't take long for her to become proficient with it and it feeds and functions reliably.
Flinching Due to Heavy Recoil, is only a state of Mind!! :eek:

Offline foxcaller

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
bersa
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2004, 04:48:52 AM »
Well, I went out and shot the pistol yesterday and man am I impressed. Put 150 rounds of Federal 95 gr through it and it performed flawlessly. Pretty accurate too. Alot of fun to shoot for sure. Now I have to get my wife to put some time in at the range with it so she will feel comfortable with it. I am also considering getting another for myself! At $219 bucks I think these are a great buy.

Offline Jerry Lester

• A Real Regular
Re: bersa
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2004, 05:46:57 AM »
Quote from: foxcaller
Well, I went out and shot the pistol yesterday and man am I impressed. Put 150 rounds of Federal 95 gr through it and it performed flawlessly. Pretty accurate too. Alot of fun to shoot for sure. Now I have to get my wife to put some time in at the range with it so she will feel comfortable with it. I am also considering getting another for myself! At $219 bucks I think these are a great buy.

If you can find it, you might want to rey out the Silver Bear 380 ammo. It's cheap Russian stuff, but I bought several boxes of some awsome looking HPs for about $6 a box, and it shot great in mine. I think you can buy cases of 500 rounds really cheap. I killed a groundhog last year with mine using the ammo I'm talking about, and it thumped him good at about 25 yards.

Offline foxcaller

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2004, 10:31:53 AM »
Thanks Jerry, I will keep a look out for that ammo. Six bucks is pretty cheap especially if it shoots decent.

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
Bersa & Russian ammo
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2004, 02:01:26 AM »
I find the Bersa a bit on the large side for a 380.  This makes it nice to shoot but a bit bulky for caliber when it comes to concealment.

The Russian ammo I would avoid.  I have several reliable reports with photos of over pressure 9 mm Parabellum rounds that damaged or jammed guns.  Blew the estyractor out of a Luger.  Jammed a S&W up so tight it required a mallet to get it open.

Offline TOGO

• Avid Poster
Bersa 380
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2004, 11:19:16 AM »
I've bought and shot hundreds of rounds of the 380 silver bear without any problems, I bought 2000 rounds of 9mm wolf brand. While firing rounds out of the first case I opened, I had 2 rounds at separate times from the same box that were over pressured the cases got stuck in my chamber, I ended using a steel rod to beak the case free. I didn't fire anymore from that box but continued to shoot other boxes from the case. Wolf has a performance guaranty, I called up a rep, he asked me to send the remainder of my rounds from the defective box and I did. About 4 weeks later UPS hands me a box with a full case of 9mm's, a shirt and hat, with a thankyou letter. I've since shot up all the ammo without anymore problems.

Offline Savage

Bersa 380
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2004, 01:01:38 PM »
I use the Silver Bear for a good cheap ammo stash in .223/7.62x35. I have not had good success with the other steel case ammo, especially in the pistol and .223 rounds. The Wolf, I don't use at all. The laquer coating really gums up a pistol! Especially on a hot day in a SS pistol and about 200 rds. It has been my experience that if you shoot it under the afore mentioned conditions, just about everyone that I have been around using this stuff, has had major function problems. I have never seen anyone shooting the stuff have an overpressure problem. I've seen lots of stuck cases due to the laquer finish cooking off in the chamber. One overpressure round is all I need to convince me to look elsewhere for practice ammo! By the way, handloading is cheaper than Wolf!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,