Author Topic: Difference Between H&R and NEF 20 Ga Slug Models?  (Read 1672 times)

Offline PASlugger

• Trade Count: (0)
Difference Between H&R and NEF 20 Ga Slug Models?
« on: March 13, 2004, 10:31:36 AM »
I'm looking locally for the H&R Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe 20 ga. (SB1-928).  The local merchant has in stock a NEF model SB2-S92 in 20 ga.

I don't see this listed on the company web site.  I have not had the H&R model in my hands, so I'm not sure what the differences are, if any.

Anyone here know the differences, and which would be the better choice.  The NEF is selling for $209., but they said they could get me the H&R for the same price.

Any help in understanding the models would be appreciated.  I also saw the H&R web site is listing the 20 ga Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe as SB2-928 now.  Did they switch to the 10 ga frame for it now too?  or is this a typo?

Thanks

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Difference Between H&R and NEF 20 Ga Sl
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2004, 12:30:13 PM »
PASlugger,

I can answer that for you, when they shut down H&R Talk I went back and saved some of my posts. Here it is:

Well I went and picked up the 20ga Ultra Slug Hunter today but it wasn't exactly a H&R SB1-928, it is a NEF SB1-S92! This gun is just like the Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe except it is a NEF Limited Edition with the Camo Laminate Stock (with Medallion) and Forend with no checkering. The receiver is flat Parkerized, same heavy barrel, the only real difference is no checkering, but $33 less than the H&R. This gun didn't have the sling, but they threw one in with Uncle Mikes QD Swivels!

These guns are a production run for a special buyers group, and the place where I bought it is a member of that group. It was $202 and the H&R SB1-928 would be $235, if they could get it! They said they haven't had one in since January, so I bought this one.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The NEF 20ga Ultra Slug Hunter Limited Edition is just like the H&R 20ga Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe but without the checkering and sling. The place I bought it from threw in a $20.00 sling and swivels, just like the deluxe has. It has a gold NEF medallion in the camo laminate stock and has a flat NEF receiver. The place I bought it from belongs to a special buyers group and I think they get pretty good prices pooling their resources. It was $202.00 full retail, the deluxe was $235.00 if they could find one. It is a NEF model SB1-S92 instead of H&R model SB1-928, but functionally and dimensionally identical. Nothing special versus the deluxe, just a different way to market the Ultra Slug Hunter Model.

I think the SB2 is definitely a typo, that is for the 12ga Ultra only. (and of course the 10ga) If you can get the H&R for the same price, then get that, it will include the sling and checkering. (You couldn't get my NEF 20ga Ultra Slug Hunter Limited Edition even for a Tar Hunt, it's just too accurate and loves all the slugs)!

Since you are looking for information, I guess I'll just dump it on ya, I have it saved so it's really no bother.

Here goes:

Ultra Slug Hunter LE

Shot the 20ga Ultra Slug Hunter LE today for the first time. The trigger is pretty good but could use a little work. I only shot 3 shot groups at 50 yds today and am satisfied with the initial results. I will go to 100yds next time out, I was only trying to see what would shoot good, but everything shot good! I didn't have the time to let the barrel cool during the 3 shot groups, only a little between groups. I shot 6 different brands of slugs 1 Foster style (please don't try to tell me you can't shoot rifled slugs in a rifled barrel, I have been doing it for 15 years) and 5 sabot style, and all of them stayed in a group.

First I shot the Remington 2-3/4" Foster style slugs to get myself on paper. I previously bore sighted the gun with the naked eye and it was pretty close. First shot about 2-1/2" high and 2" left. Made the scope corrections and proceeded to shoot a 1-1/4" 3 shot group, about 1/2" left of center and still high where I left it. Then I went inside and cleaned the lead out of the barrel, yes, it was a bear but I knew what I was in for and have done it numerous times.

After a good cleaning I proceeded out to shoot the five types of sabot slugs I found. The first one I selected was the 2-3/4" Lightfield 7/8oz (385gr), it shot a 1-1/4" group with two touching.

Next up was the 3" Barnes 3/4oz, it shot at 1-3/8" with two touching. I think the barrel was pretty warm by this point.

Next was the 2-3/4" Winchester Partition Gold 260gr. This being a lighter bullet shot a little higher and grouped the worst of all at 1-5/8". This is a 1900 fps slug, so I was pleased with it.

Next up was the 2-3/4" Winchester Platinum Tip 260gr. This group was a horizontal string at 1-1/8" with two touching.

Last up was the 2-3/4" Remington New Copper Solid 5/8oz. This shot just under 1" and was the best group of the day.

Next time out I will shoot at 100yds to see what the trajectory will be like. If a guy is only going to be taking 50-75 yd shots, the Foster slugs would be very inexpensive to shoot, if you dont mind de-leading the barrel!

So overall I am very pleased with the way the gun is shooting everything I feed it. The gun locks-up well and ejected all empties without flaw. The recoil was very very tame compared to my 12ga autoloader, that thing is brutal. I just can't get over how mild the felt recoil is! The only bad thing about the day was I could not eliminate any of the slugs, so the 100 yard shooting is going to be just as expensive. If I would have taken the time to let the barrel cool down between all the shots, I am sure the groups would have been a little better.

I shot the other two slugs of each type into a large sand bag that I use to recover bullets and was not very impressed with the way I found the Barnes all copper, Remington Copper Solid, and Winchester Platinum Tip. All three types (six bullets) did not expand in the sand, instead they all curled in toward the hollow point and did not open up at all. The Winchester Partition Gold opened up and sheared of at the partition with no expansion past the partition. The Lightfield being a lead bullet opened up very nicely and one stayed intact and the other fragmented in three large pieces. I am not sure what to think of the Copper and Platinum slugs, i sure hope they open up correctly on game animals. That was $50.00 worth of slugs, averaging $2.00 a pop. ?OUCH!

This gun is a keeper! As are all my H&R/NEF guns.

You just gotta love 'em! ?

Since all of these slugs shot well IMO, what do you guys think are the better performers on deer. I have used some of the 12ga saboted bullets in the past and I was not very pleased with their performance on game although they were very good on paper.

Slugs for Ultra 20

My 20ga likes them all! I have shot the Remington Ultra CoreLokt, Remington Copper Solids, Federal Barnes Expanders, Winchester Partition Golds, Winchester Platinum Tips and Lightfields. All of these have been under 2" at 100 yds. ?I even shot some 15 year old Remington Sluggers into about 1-1/4" at 50 yds, never tried them at 100 yds. The only downfall to the Sluggers is all the leading, but not too bad if you have a good bore brush and some lead removing bore cleaner. The Rottweil Brenneke Slugs are a little harder lead and therefore leave behind less lead in the barrel.

The only way to know for sure what your gun likes is to try 'em all, I know it's expensive but then you will know. I would not trade my Ultra for a 1500.00 Tar Hunt custom gun, I just can't imagine anything out there that will shoot everything as well as my Ultra.

I shot a nice 8 point in November with the Remington Ultra CoreLokt. He dropped like a rock when that 260 grain slug hit him high in the shoulder and he stayed put. I found the slug under the hide on the far side, perfectly mushroomed.

I have had many of the slug guns out there, Remingtons, Brownings, Ithacas, Mossbergs, you name it, I have tried it. My 20ga NEF Ultra Slug Hunter limited Edition rules along with my Stainless Steel 50 caliber Huntsman, I couldn't be happier.

I hope I didn't overload you there, I just can't say enough about these Ultra's!
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2004, 08:07:01 AM »
Wow...Just what Busta said...I only have a little to add to that.

The NEF you looked at has the camo laminate stock for $209.  I have seen the H&R Ultra Sluggers for that price but not the Ultra Slugger Deluxe with the camo laminate stock and the cut checkering.  The Deluxe usually runs about $225 or more.  If you can do without the cut checkering I would go for that NEF.  It's nice to have a gun that only a few have owned, seen or even touched.  Plus you can still add all the shotgun or muzzleloader accessory barrels that the H&R Ultra Slugger can add.  It is the same receiver...The only shotgun barrels you could not add are the 10GA barrels or the 12GA Ultra Slugger barrel.

Now go back and buy that gun...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline PASlugger

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2004, 08:46:09 AM »
Thanks for the information guys, I may just go get that NEF this week.  I want to get out to the range soon.  I'll probably add the Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40 scope, and head to the range with a few boxes of different slugs.

I've heard nothing except great things about these guns, I'm hoping to knock the socks off my brothers Ithaca deerslayer, which he has been telling me that no gun can shoot better than it with slugs.  I don't want to spend tons of money. ... and besides, I'm mainly an archery hunter at this point, one shot is all ya need!  :)

... check my new post, I may just come home with two guns, turkey season is just around the corner!   :D

Offline Xplorer

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2004, 12:09:32 PM »
I also vote you go & buy the NEF (unless the checkering is something you really need).  Last year I searched all around for an Ultra slug hunter deluxe in 20ga, but couldn't get my hands on one anywhere.  So I went and bought a pardner and sent it in for the 20ga ultra slug barrel & also the camo laminated stock & forend.  It is a great gun, I was able to get 1 1/2"groups at 100 yards using Remington copper solids.  Also, I shot 2 deer with it last year, one was at 85 yards, and was a frontal neck shot.   This year I added the 24" turkey barrel (mounted some sights on the barrel).  The choke that comes with it measures  .680", so I am going to purchase one closer to .660" as I am not shooting hevi-shot.  Anyway, just my $.02.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."--Benjamin Franklin Historical Review of Pennsylvania. 1759

Offline PASlugger

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2004, 09:54:26 AM »
I called H&R\NEF support today to get a little more info.  They confirmed everything you guys said here.  It really is the same gun, short of the checkering and sling/swivels.  The barrel is exactly the same (which is probably the most important part), other than the laminate stock.

They also said the end of february they shipped a big batch of the H&R Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe's (SB1-928) to their distributers, should I want to purchase one, now would be the time.

I checked with the local dealer.  They can get the H&R (SB1-928) for $244.95, or they have the NEF limited in stock for $209.99.  I plan to order a pardner turkey this week anyway, so ordering is not that big a deal for me.  May as well walk out with two guns at the same time - right?!

By the time I add the swivels and sling, the difference will be about 20 bucks I guess.  Shooting wise, they should be identical, just making the decision on looks.  I personally am not crazy about the medallion stock inlay, but I could get used to that and add a case of beer to the fridge with the difference  :toast: .  Ya gotta have something in the house to wash down those back straps!

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2004, 04:55:33 PM »
:gulp:  :toast:  :gulp:
BEER...GOOD
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Primer

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2004, 05:59:55 PM »
Easy guys, save some  :toast:  for the rest of us!    :-D  

I use a camo shell holder on my stock full time,...and it covers the medallion inlay. I moved the shell holder the other day and was surprised to see the medallion,as had actually forgotten it was there. :grin: