Author Topic: Well, it's back and....  (Read 1220 times)

Offline Warthog

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Well, it's back and....
« on: March 22, 2004, 01:50:44 PM »
I'm not too happy.  My Ultra Varmint .243 came back today from H&R, one day shy of 4 weeks.  From a turnaround standpoint, I really don't think that's too bad and that's not why I'm displeased.  As a refresher, this rifle tumbled anything I put through it.  Also, the forend doesn't fit quite right and has already rubbed the bluing off the front of the receiver.  Anyway, I asked them to check the crown and replace the forend.  The 'acknowledgement' they sent me didn't address the crown at all, they didn't replace the forend and they didn't reblue the front of the receiver (I know the reblue was a pipe dream, but oh well...).  The 'acknowledgement' states they "replaced barrel catch" and "test fired multiple times, ok".  If that actually fixes it, okay.  However, the test target they returned to me sure doesn't look like the bullets are hitting true.  Please tell me what you think...

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid108/pe7ee1e37c5bedba16532a66af944d2fa/f941f5db.jpg.orig.jpg[img/]

(The two holes in the bull are from a staple.)
Whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger.  Right up until it kills you.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Well, it's back and....
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2004, 02:27:21 PM »
The picture doesn't show up.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Warthog

• Avid Poster
Well, it's back and....
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 02:49:49 PM »

Offline MINNESOTA DICK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Well, it's back and....
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 03:01:55 PM »
I think you have to adjust the scope (up/down knob) down a few clicks and to the (right/left knob) to the right a few clicks and the holes should be in the bull.

Are you shooting off hand ore from a rest????

What ammo are you shooting???
Happy shooting, may you hit what you aim at.

Minnesota Dick

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Well, it's back and....
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 03:02:43 PM »
OK, it shows up now, I could not see it at first either....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Warthog

• Avid Poster
Well, it's back and....
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004, 03:05:22 PM »
MN DICK, this is from the factory.  I'm not worried about it being off center, I don't think the bullets are hitting it straight on.  The holes sure look wallowed out to me.  What do you think?

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Well, it's back and....
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2004, 03:20:24 PM »
Those holes look pretty good to me...Looks like a couple were stacked right on top of each other...At least that is how is appears to me.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
Well, it's back and....
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2004, 04:31:00 PM »
Warthog, that factory test target is 3 rounds. Yours shows 2 holes touching and a the 3rd just below.  This looks very good.

This is the same target they sent back with my 7mm-08 with warranty replacement  new bbl and 3 rounds close, but not touching. But, that is no surprise with Remington 7mm-08 factory ammo.

Very interesting, the holes from mine are in the same quadrant of the target! Like they used the same scope for any bbl they test....which could be the case.

I estimate the bull they use is 2"
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!

Offline huntsalot

Well, it's back and....
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2004, 05:24:36 PM »
Test target looks good to me. Hope you become more encouraged. Good luck.
Brian
Whitey

Offline HAMMERHEAD

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Well, it's back and....
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2004, 08:28:02 PM »
Looks OK for a handi. If you think the bullets are starting to tumble, try it at 150 or 200 yards.

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
Well, it's back and....
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2004, 04:10:45 AM »
I can't really tell anything definitive from the pic on imagination.com.  I can see what you're saying with one hole looking bad.  But, it's impossible to say what the backing behind the target was.  I've shot targets with holes like that and the bullet didn't tumble, but my backstop was so shot up the target ripped a little.  Usually happens when shots are touching, I guess because the first shot causes a small tear or weak spot in the paper and then the second shot finishes the tear.  Might sound wierd but a 243 is very super sonic and has a shock wave behind it that will disrupt the integrity of the paper.

Try taking a 55 grain 243 at nearly 4000fps and fire it less than 1" above a rabbits head at close range.  Without touching the rabbit the shock wave will mush his brain (did this once with a 40 grain 3900fps 223 on a combo coyote/rabbit hunt  :wink: )

Anyway, given the 243 is a very high velocity round I'd also try at 150 and 200 yards (as someone else suggested) if you have a range to shoot that far.  Those ranges will be more telling.  I'd also spread my shots out around the target, have 5 bulls on a peice of paper.  Then if one shot is ripping the target a bit the second shot won't finish the rip and make it look like a key hole.

Oh, and how many rounds do you have through it?  Sounds like quite a few given you've tried alot of loads, but if not the barrel might just need to be shot some more (like a few hundred rounds total) to shoot all of the burs off the rifling.

Good luck, I wouldn't consider this gun broke quite yet.

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline jeff223

Well, it's back and....
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2004, 06:16:32 AM »
looks good to me.is that about a 1 inch group?

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Well, it's back and....
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2004, 06:29:13 AM »
Warthog, What does this group measure center to center of furthest shots? I do not see a scale. I can see no indication of tumbling from this photo. I think scruffy has a point on how targets tear from multiple hits.
mt
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline Warthog

• Avid Poster
Well, it's back and....
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2004, 06:49:20 AM »
Thanks for all the input.  You guys are starting to make me feel a bit better.  I don't expect a bench rest rifle, but I do not want to shoot an animal with the prospects of a wounding.  scruffy, I've put about 120 rounds through it so far, but maybe it does need some more to break it.  I don't know how big the group is, the target is only about 3" by 3" when they send it to you.  My guess is that's a 3" or 4" bull.  I'll take it to the range this Saturday and run a wide variety through it to see what happens.  I'll let you know.

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
Well, it's back and....
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2004, 02:41:37 PM »
I think they use a 2" bull!
If you take my 7mm holes, pretend they are actually .25" (not .284"), you can imagine approx.  8 of them crossing the bull.

Never mind, leave them at .284", 7 x .28" = 1.96
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Well, it's back and....
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2004, 03:36:22 PM »
Here's a thought ... If the bullets were really tumbling would the gun still shoot such a tight group :?:

Brett
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Warthog

• Avid Poster
Well, it's back and....
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2004, 03:30:14 AM »
It's funny you should mention that, Brett.  With the 100 grain Winchesters at 100 yards it printed a group of about 1.5".  All of the holes were about a half inch long and that hit at different angles.  Extremely strange.  I don't think the bullets in the test target tumbled, but it looked, to me, like they weren't quite stabilizing in flight.  I guess wobbling would be the word I'm looking for.  I'll find out Saturday.