Author Topic: Fears about my new Ultra 25/06 came true today.  (Read 1487 times)

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
Fears about my new Ultra 25/06 came true today.
« on: March 17, 2004, 12:47:39 PM »
Finally got to the range today to shoot the Ultra 25/06 I purchased one week ago today. Fired ten shots with Remington Core-Lokt 100 grain and the action opened on every shot. I guess this one is going back to H&R for some adjusting to the release lever. I can tap mildly just ahead of the foreend with it latched and it will open every time. If I pull up on the release lever and hold it, then it stops. Did manage a 2" group at 35 yd. tho, but when I moved out to 100 yd.  :eek: not even on the paper and vertical string of 7". Oh well, I'm looking on the bright side.....gonna hit 'em up for a trigger job while they have it.  :grin: Going to call tomorrow and try to set it up. Does anyone know if they will cover the shipping cost on this?
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Deadeye47

• Trade Count: (0)
Fears about my new Ultra 25/06 came true to
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004, 01:11:49 PM »
Sorry for your troubles..there is NOTHING worse than to get something new and it not work right. I just got thru posting in another topic regarding triggers...whay have to send your rifle back to the factory to get something that should have been right the first time.....Does H & R have a QC or and final inspection department.....apparently they are phasing those worthless departmants out....  :bye:
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline jeff223

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 01:12:18 PM »
boy that sucks.sure hope you get that worked out.you may want to try and clean the inside of the frame with something to take the grease out there.some sort of degreaser or something like that.then try it.i never had that problem myself.i would call them if it were me and tell them all about it.i would even tell them about the vertical stringing also.if you end up sending your gun back have them shoot your gun at the factory and send you the target along with your gun.they should make darn sure that you get a good shooter out of this deal.

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 01:30:49 PM »
i would scrub that gun down good with a good solvent before sending it back. NEF coats their guns with something like road tar to keep them from rusting while in storage for sale. i got a few of them and always  clean them with carb and choke cleaner before i fire them just to get all the factory gunk out of them. i'll bet you a cleaning would save you some postage !!!

scatter(ed)
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2004, 02:51:10 PM »
I second the scrubbing. You're spozed to clean them before you shoot them.

This one comes up a lot and it's almost always the shooter rather than the factory. The preservative is sticky and the locking bolt doesn't go all the way home. Carb cleaner and an old toothbush generally solves the problem. Make sure you get the underside of the barrel lug and the inside of the frame while you are at it.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2004, 03:34:06 PM »
Hey liketohunt; have you asked the dealer you bought it from if he would send it back? I would try that first,or maybe get a refund.  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline lik2hunt

• Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2004, 03:37:22 PM »
Digger,
That's what the wife thinks too. Give me a call if you're up.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"

www.dsheriff.org

Offline 10ga.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2004, 04:05:16 PM »
Paul Corbett
NEF 10ga SB2-MAB 
Handi-Rifle 30-06 Synthetic
H&R 12ga SB2-980 Ultra Slug
S&W .357 Model 586
"Peace Through Superior Firepower"

Offline lik2hunt

• Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2004, 12:13:54 AM »
Thanks 10 Ga. I remembered reading this somewhere before but couldn't find it yesterday. I did  look it over pretty good last night and couldn't see any real obvious evidence like ya'll are talking about . The dealer I bought it from will not be open again until Friday so I ahve time to tinker with it a little more before then. I really hope I can solve this myself and avoid the headaches of the alternative. Thanks again for all the help guys. Ya'll are the greatest!  :mrgreen:   :D
lik2hunt------>in OK

www.dsheriff.org